New to recording, pls help.

Franne

Hi.

OK, so i've decided i would like to learn more about recording music. until now i've only recorded one track at the time by using my behring 1604 mixer and tape out.

What i wanna be able to, is to record up to 16 tracks simultaneously.

I've been looking at a Tascam US-1641

My only problem bout this is its using usb - i would be happier if i could use adat or perhaps firewire.

I've been looking in many places now, but have not found anything - so perhaps you could help me.? :)

Other important information:
For now i'm using a pc, but my plan i to go mac before long.

Of mics i have some sm57's and some sm58's + beta52 and some other cheapmics. before long i will invest in the sennheiser e606 or e906.

So:
Would this tascam work perfect for me, or should i be looking for something else?

Any suggestions or advices will be appreciated! :)

Thx for your time

Franne - Denmark

* hmm - link works fine for me - anyway

here, then u can copy paste:)

http://http//www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html

Last edited:
Your link is messed up, but I think if you check the many many many threads in this forum, you will see that Firewire is recommended for what you are asking. USB works great for up to 2 channels recorded at a time.

www.motu.com has what you need.

Start off with an $500 8Pre and you can then add devices to the chain for up to 60 simultaneous i/o's.
Or you can go whole-hog with a 24-channel box.
Firewire lets you daisy-chain devices running on the same drivers.

All the Motu devices use the same drivers and pre-amps, so you can choose based on the i/o you need.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Been running a Motu828mkII daisy-chained to a Glyph firewire drive on my
2.8Ghz XP laptop (Gateway P4) for several years now with >>ZERO PROBLEMS.<<

But if im going to record drums (1 bd, sd, 4 toms + overhead) i would need 8 preamps for the "good" sound right?

you might want to look into a "stand alone system" Yamaha, BOSS, TASCAM all make great stand alone systems that alow multiple tracks at the same time. They can be a bit confusing when you first step into them but after some time you can master them like you do a new camcorder or camera. Most have the ability to "bounce tracks" so you can turn 16 tracks into 116. Some come with a CD burner on board. As far as microphones go my suggestion is to look into CAD mics..........fantastic and a great price. It all depends on how much time and $ you want to put into your studio............i have found that people....(like myself) put more time into learning new software than they do playing music....just my 2 cents
:)

For some time i have been looking at the
Alesis IO|26 for some time now,

and in fact, i think that is what i'll be buying..

Then i will use the rest of my saving to buy 3 mics - the Sennheiser e606 and use it for toms, guitarcabs and vocal - Any comments to that?:)

What might be a better way to do it in your opinion? :)

Regards

Anyone who knows anything??

:D

Not to be shite-head but...

Have you done the search of the many many many threads here that deal with what you're trying to accomplish?

Possibly the reason you're having to bump this is because it's already been covered.

Google tweakheadz and see what comes up.

Like I said, not to be a schmuck, but....

The answers are there, grasshoppa. You must seek before you will find.

;)

:D

Not to be shite-head but...

Have you done the search of the many many many threads here that deal with what you're trying to accomplish?

Possibly the reason you're having to bump this is because it's already been covered.

Google tweakheadz and see what comes up.

Like I said, not to be a schmuck, but....

The answers are there, grasshoppa. You must seek before you will find.

;)

Not only that, but he's got some good recommendations right in this thread. He needs to go back read them.

Dav Franne,
I'm all for not having to bounce tracks to get more, did that in the past and found with each bounce I lost both sound quality (ah the old analog Tascams) and, of course, the ability to go back and edit.

So on a different note (unintended), are you considering hardware compression post-preamp/pre-AI? To me it makes a big difference; but as you are talking about many mics at once, it could be an expensive investment, initially.

hel og lykke,

Back