New Guy Says Howdy

2manynotes

Hunkered down, waiting out the plague, decided to teach myself digital music composition. I'm finding FL Studio to be a bit of a challenge. This looks like the right place to get questions answered. Nice to meet you all.

Only joking !
Welcome to HR and may your times be profitable, your questions be answered and your recordings bring you joy......

Hunkered down, waiting out the plague, decided to teach myself digital music composition. I'm finding FL Studio to be a bit of a challenge. This looks like the right place to get questions answered. Nice to meet you all.

A warm welcome from me as well Two. FL Studio is a DAW of a type I call "Cut and Shunt" i.e. you move chunks of music about to make tracks. Had it, never did Jack with it!

Most recording software is of the 'linear' type which emulates to an extent how you would record using a tape machine. There is even a 'mixer' in there that looks and works much as a hardware mixer would. Do you have any experience of tape recording? If so check out Audacity (download safely from Ninite)

Much more sophisticated is Cockos' Reaper and is free until you give into the nag and stump up the very reasonable $60.

Dave.

A warm welcome from me as well Two. FL Studio is a DAW of a type I call "Cut and Shunt" i.e. you move chunks of music about to make tracks. Had it, never did Jack with it!

Most recording software is of the 'linear' type which emulates to an extent how you would record using a tape machine. There is even a 'mixer' in there that looks and works much as a hardware mixer would. Do you have any experience of tape recording? If so check out Audacity (download safely from Ninite)

Much more sophisticated is Cockos' Reaper and is free until you give into the nag and stump up the very reasonable $60.

Dave.

Thanks for the replies. Fl Studio is proving to be not the medium for improvisation I figerd it was. I'm looking at a couple of other trial versions of digital tracking that I can jam along with or noodle for many bars without the constraints of it needing to be a "pattern" - the "linear" stuff you mention. You'll see me popping up from time to time bleating for help with a snag. Right now I'm noodling with Mixcraft 8 and coming up with the usual nosebleed glitchery. Best to all of you for safety and hope for a quick end to this biological carnival of doom.

Thanks for the replies. Fl Studio is proving to be not the medium for improvisation I figerd it was. I'm looking at a couple of other trial versions of digital tracking that I can jam along with or noodle for many bars without the constraints of it needing to be a "pattern" - the "linear" stuff you mention. You'll see me popping up from time to time bleating for help with a snag. Right now I'm noodling with Mixcraft 8 and coming up with the usual nosebleed glitchery. Best to all of you for safety and hope for a quick end to this biological carnival of doom.

What other equipment do you have? I mean an Audio Interface for starters, if you have one, make and model please. "Glitchery" do you mean audible glitching and stuttering? These are usually due to the buffer size being set too low in the DAW for the power of the PC. You need low buffer settings (in milliSecs) to get low latency i.e. the delay between hitting a string and getting the note back out of the PC but most AIs give you 'direct monitoring' which is latency free. The snag comes when you want to use onboard effects in real time*

Low latency and the ability to 'live' with low buffer settings is a function primarily of the AI and especially its ASIO drivers. Yes, a REALLY puny computer will not handle small buffers but almost anything less than 5-6 years old should be fine. My HP W7 is i3 and even with 4G of ram would run modest projects.

Lot of technical guff there friend but don't be put off, it can all be worked through.

*Technically even so called "zero latency monitoring" isn't but the delay is less than 1mS I understand?

Dave.

Back