Multiple input formats, newbie with a handful of gear and looking for a solution :)

murmuzy

Hello all, just joined the forum today. Searched around a little but didn't find a thread with my exact problem.

So, I'll start from the top..

Over the last year I've been catering to my musical interests and started acquiring gear. Bought a Microbrute, Korg Volca Sample, Kork KP3+, already had an old Casio keyboard and an 80s Yamaha voice sampler. Got two KRK Rokit 5s. two mixers, first bought an Alto ZMX52 to run the monitors, microbrute, and sampler. This worked fine, but I wanted to record to my computer so I bought a Behringer 302USB to record just into Audacity. Simple recording.

Now of course, I'm running into the problem of having to run the Alto mixer which has most of the gear into the behringer one to get to my computer. I've got a range of gear with different audio out formats (1/4,1/8,RCA) and I want a mixer that can take it all, output to my "1/4 input monitors, allow me to record through USB to my computer, and have headphone out (standard I'm sure). At this point I know nothing of the capabilities of USB output recording when it comes to multiple tracks (i.e. input 1 recording separate from input 2). Have never used a DAW other than Audacity. Just looking to record everything into one track in Audacity. (but am open to learning about a solution which separates the inputs and records say 5 channels into 5 different tracks for me).

Here's my gear and input/output formats

Keyboards:

Microbrute - "1/4 out
Casio - "1/4 out
Yamaha - "1/8 out

Other:

KP3 (effects processor/looper) - RCA out/in as well as "1/4 in
Volca Sample - "1/8 out
2 or 3 "1/4 inputs for instruments

Now, I assume I will need a plethora of "1/4 to "1/8 adapters, RCA adapters, "1/8 to split "1/4 stereo/mono, etc I don't know. Can anyone recommend a mixer that will solve all of my problems? And maybe a little help as far as DAWs go?

Thank you very much for any help.

I don't know of any mixers that provide 1/8" I/O connections.
RCA is kinda common, but it's only used for some things...rarely.
1/4" and XLR are what you will find on even the prosumer-ish mixer...so yeah, get some conversion cables/adapters and roll with that. That's a lot simpler than trying to find a mixer that has all that stuff...which I doubt you will find anyway.

You don't need a mixer with all those connectors, you need adapter cables.

Those aren't different audio formats, they are simply different connectors. The audio flowing through all of those cables is just analog audio. So get two cables with rca on one end and 1/4 on the other. Then find a 1/8 breakout cable. (1/8 stereo to two 1/4 mono). Do the same for every different connector type you have.

With all that gear and the plethora of different connectors (and signal levels you can bet) you would IMHO be wise to take stock and at this stage start to learn about some simple passive electronics construction?

What I have in mind is a "rationalizing box". This is a metal box with all the odd connectors one side and a set of standard connectors the other and that standard should be Tip, Ring, Sleeve jack. Note, anything coming in as stereo, say on 1/8" jack needs to split out to TWO 1/4" TRS jacks since mixers and AI's* rarely have stereo inputs.

Bit of work I agree but build in a bit of redundancy and you will be future proof. You could "impedance" balance the outputs and even incorporate some level normalizing pots but leave us K.I.S.Sir for now?

*You sort of "threw in" 5 sources to 5 tracks. Does this mean you would like multi track recording? (bit of a convention. 2 tracks is NOT m'track. More than two is!) . If so you are looking at a new interface and the best bang for buck has to be a Tascam US 1800 or later.
Err? Are you interested in MIDI?

Dave.

With all that gear and the plethora of different connectors (and signal levels you can bet) you would IMHO be wise to take stock and at this stage start to learn about some simple passive electronics construction?

What I have in mind is a "rationalizing box". This is a metal box with all the odd connectors one side and a set of standard connectors the other and that standard should be Tip, Ring, Sleeve jack. Note, anything coming in as stereo, say on 1/8" jack needs to split out to TWO 1/4" TRS jacks since mixers and AI's* rarely have stereo inputs.

Bit of work I agree but build in a bit of redundancy and you will be future proof. You could "impedance" balance the outputs and even incorporate some level normalizing pots but leave us K.I.S.Sir for now?

*You sort of "threw in" 5 sources to 5 tracks. Does this mean you would like multi track recording? (bit of a convention. 2 tracks is NOT m'track. More than two is!) . If so you are looking at a new interface and the best bang for buck has to be a Tascam US 1800 or later.
Err? Are you interested in MIDI?

Dave.

I like the idea of a 'rationalization' box, I just think I'd end up with a lot of noise between the inputs in there. Not sure how I would go about shielding so many connectors all next to eachother. I'm not afraid of soldering or fabricating, but I am afraid of chasing noise issues in a box. I would be more comfortable making my own massive set of adapters. RCA and "1/8 to "1/4 adapters.

I am curious about 'multi-track recording'. Is this a common feature on mixers with USB like this one? a Tascam 1800 is definitely out of my price range if that's the level of equipment I have to go to for multi-track recording.

I am using MIDI a little bit to keep the KP3 and Sampler timed, as well as using a keyboard to control the microbrute but not interested in using midi to control my instruments from my computer.

I like the idea of a 'rationalization' box, I just think I'd end up with a lot of noise between the inputs in there. Not sure how I would go about shielding so many connectors all next to eachother. I'm not afraid of soldering or fabricating, but I am afraid of chasing noise issues in a box. I would be more comfortable making my own massive set of adapters. RCA and "1/8 to "1/4 adapters.

I am curious about 'multi-track recording'. Is this a common feature on mixers with USB like this one? a Tascam 1800 is definitely out of my price range if that's the level of equipment I have to go to for multi-track recording.

I am using MIDI a little bit to keep the KP3 and Sampler timed, as well as using a keyboard to control the microbrute but not interested in using midi to control my instruments from my computer.

Ooo! Bit of "rationalization of brain" needed here ! WTGR, stereo jacks are everywhere but the channel crosstalk is never noticed (probably better than -90dB) . Typically AIs and mixers have input connectors no more than 25mm apart, often less, mic ins next to line ins and you do not get complaints of sounds hopping between the two?

A home built box with the connectors isolated from the casing (case is earthed back to computer chassis or a handy mains earth) will introduce noise and crosstalk below any means you or I have to measure it.

Each connector goes pin for pin to the output TRS, no earths are shared ("Y" earth lead from a stereo connector) . Modern gear has a low output impedance and fings ain't nearly a bad as they used to be in the bad old valve days.

Dave.

Back