looking for some newbie guidance

negativefx83

hello,

first post - looked around a bit but didn't find exactly what i was looking for.

so my wife has a nice mic and a keyboard and is looking for the best way to record audio (and video - have webcam) of her singing and playing the keyboard. is there anything anyone recommends either free or paid that can do this? the end goal is to possibly create her own youtube channel to have these recordings uploaded to. I looked at Audacity but looks like that's audio only.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Jon

hello,

first post - looked around a bit but didn't find exactly what i was looking for.

so my wife has a nice mic and a keyboard and is looking for the best way to record audio (and video - have webcam) of her singing and playing the keyboard. is there anything anyone recommends either free or paid that can do this? the end goal is to possibly create her own youtube channel to have these recordings uploaded to. I looked at Audacity but looks like that's audio only.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Jon

depends what you really need and the quality

you will need a video camera if that webcam does not do what you want.
record the audio separately then edit it onto the video after you edit it and make it better.
there is free video editing software too. audacity is good and free for the audio part if your vid s/w is not up to the job for audio.

most utoob audio sucks big time so just using the camera mike may not do the job you want.

Jon, you need an Audio Interface to get the sounds of the keyboard and mic into a PC. Now it is quite possible that the keyboard can do this, many of the top end ones are pretty good AI's. Let us assume for the moment this is the case, now you need some recording software.

I know that both Cubase and Reaper can run video and sound and the former is available as a 30 day trial. Reaper you pay $60 for when the nag gets too much. Then there are video oriented softwares such as Camtasia and Sony Vega (now owned by MAGIX) but these will also run at least 2 channels of audio.

Does the camera interface via USB? If so it should be accessable as a "capture device". If it just comes out as RCA video you will need a box of tricks called Dazzle that converts video to USB.

Dave.

Thanks for the replies.

The webcam is a good logitech with high quality - usb interface. we were thinking that she would record the audio and the video would just be combined later using some software, but if there's a way to do both at the same time - that would be ideal.

Thanks for the replies.

The webcam is a good logitech with high quality - usb interface. we were thinking that she would record the audio and the video would just be combined later using some software, but if there's a way to do both at the same time - that would be ideal.

doesnt the camera record video and audio on a memory card ?
use the all in one video software to prepare that file for uploading
there are free programs available that are good enough
search the threads here for some of them or use google

i will give that a go, i appreciate the feedback. i just wanted to get ahead of things before i set up her office this weekend. :)

Thanks for the replies.

The questions, really, are how much video editing do you want to do and how much audio editing do you want to do?

If you literally just want to make a live recording and push it to youtube then there are suites that'll let you do it in one go.
OBS is a good one.

If you want to be able to produce the audio or video to some higher standard, though, it gets more complicated.
Most suites are either geared towards video and offer basic audio tools,
or are geared towards audio and offer basic video tools.

If someone knows a good all-in-one suite that doesn't break the bank, please do tell. :)

My inclination, in that case, would be to get the audio recording into reaper, for example, while the video is recording in Movie Maker or some other video editing suite.
When you've got a pass that you like you carry out your audio work in reaper until you're satisfied, then bounce that audio out and import it into your movie suite.
After syncing the two up you can do your fades and titles and whatever else you want.

If you're getting into the realm for splicing multiple takes together and editing between then that's a fair bit trickier again.
My gut, in that case, would be to make an audio production you're happy with then create a mime video to go with it after the fact.

Great info! I will try out OBS and see. We're not looking for anything super high tech or fancy yet, this is just to start and get our feet wet.

Sony Vegas Studio can record audio, supports ASIO drivers and it can use VST's. I am pretty sure it can do more than 2 audio tracks, if needed. It won't be as streamlined for audio as a regular DAW, but it will get the job done along with the video editing.

You would need a decent mic and then an audio interface. The mic on the camera would used to help sync up audio, but you wouldn't want to use it in the end product.

Sony Vegas Studio can record audio, supports ASIO drivers and it can use VST's. I am pretty sure it can do more than 2 audio tracks, if needed. It won't be as streamlined for audio as a regular DAW, but it will get the job done along with the video editing.

You would need a decent mic and then an audio interface. The mic on the camera would used to help sync up audio, but you wouldn't want to use it in the end product.

yeah we have a separate recording mic from the webcam (would not use that audio) - should be good enough quality for now. I will check this out as well!

Back