• serious hobby would like to make $$

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • trying to be a pro and make it big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • already made my expenses and more

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

How do you measure gear quality?

How does quality compare with how it sounds ?

Trick question, troll question, who cares??
I'm still not getting what your point is.

When I post a thread, I'm usually looking for some outcome. I want to solve something, or want to learn something, or want to fix something, etc
My motivations are clear.

What are yours?

Trick question, troll question, who cares??
I'm still not getting what your point is.

When I post a thread, I'm usually looking for some outcome. I want to solve something, or want to learn something, or want to fix something, etc
My motivations are clear.

What are yours?

Apparently you dont care because you can print money.

For normal peopleit is:
Not a troll.
Not a trick question.
It goes to the heart of the matter when it comes to deciding how to spend your money.

I am looking for an answer from those who claim spending more means better gear.
Otherwise if you don't know your gear is going to be better why spend more money on it.

Apparently you dont care because you can print money.

For normal peopleit is:
Not a troll.
Not a trick question.
It goes to the heart of the matter when it comes to deciding how to spend your money.

I am looking for an answer from those who claim spending more means better gear.
Otherwise if you don't know your gear is going to be better why spend more money on it.

What???? I wish I could print money, :D

Good gear, regardless of the price, rises to the top like cream. Especially in this age of instant communication. Good stuff creates a buzz of happy users. Bad gear gets flushed.
Return policies by online retailers are very generous, so say you make a purchase at a place like sweetwater, if it doesn't deliver, back it goes.

I don't think there is anyone here claiming that just more money spent means better.

But it has been a guiding principle in mercandise of any form that you get what you pay for. Generally quality stuff costs more than junk stuff.

The old craftsman rule applies to music too.
"Get the best tools you can afford"

You keep on asking for some proofs. Who cares? Why does anyone have to prove anything to you?

As to you, are YOU appy with what you have?

If so, good! :) I'm happy for you, and be on your merry way.

And on that note, I'm going to exit from this idiotic, troll tread that just keeps going in circles

I'm off on my own merry way.
:D

What???? I wish I could print money, :D

Good gear, regardless of the price, rises to the top like cream. Especially in this age of instant communication. Good stuff creates a buzz of happy users. Bad gear gets flushed.
Return policies by online retailers are very generous, so say you make a purchase at a place like sweetwater, if it doesn't deliver, back it goes.

I don't think there is anyone here claiming that just more money spent means better.

But it has been a guiding principle in mercandise of any form that you get what you pay for. Generally quality stuff costs more than junk stuff.

The old craftsman rule applies to music too.
"Get the best tools you can afford"

You keep on asking for some proofs. Who cares? Why does anyone have to prove anything to you?

As to you, are YOU appy with what you have?

If so, good! :) I'm happy for you, and be on your merry way.

And on that note, I'm going to exit from this idiotic, troll tread that just keeps going in circles

I'm off on my own merry way.
:D

ROTFLMAO

How do you tell which gear is good? Go with the crowd? How did they know which gear was good?

A number of people here claim that spending more means better gear and better results.
Gearslutz is full of people like that too.

You get what you buy. There is always overpriced junk.
And the Veblen effect biases those with deep pockets into believing more money means better stuff.

You dont have to prove anything to anybody. You can throw your money around like it grows on trees if you want.
But if you are intelligent and a careful consumer you would have to know how to tell what gear is too expensive for any value it gives.

Do you deny that after some point the gear is so good that all you can get is different stuff not better stuff?

Well...at least you finally came clean and explained your situation.
So you don't know what you don't know....and what you are really looking for here is someone to show you what you don't know.
That's why you keep asking for proof...proof...proof!

The only problem is...how does anyone prove one thing has better sonic quality than another on an internet forum...where all you have is the typed text...?
And before anyone says you can post sound clips...well that will get us nowhere because then the validity of those sound clips will be questioned ad nauseam, because that's what close-minded people do...they keep trolling for "answers", but always rejecting all of them.
They have to...so they can cling to their misguided beliefs.

That's why all the YouTube "shootouts" always leave more questions than answers on the table. Each person is listening on different playback systems, in different environments. The only thing that comes close to getting a true A/B comparison is to be there in person and prove it to yourself...which is not possible for most folks, or buying a lot of gear just to do your own A/B.
That's why I said earlier...when my new studio is done and ready, I'll invite anyone from here to bring som gear and we can do some hands-on comparisons.

Of course, the other way to arrive at some pretty solid conclusions is to look at the already existing huge body of proof.
It's called the pro music/audio industry.
Those people didn't all come together to use and promote high quality audio gear, just as a scam on the home rec crowd, to get them to spend their hard earned money on high-end gear that is really no better than the cheap stuff...and that high-end gear all just "hype" for the sake of "fancy name plates".
Only an ignorant person would even begin to think that...or one who is just stubborn and mainly looking to troll.

The pro audio industry couldn't care less what some guy at home is using...but they do care about what they use.
And again, for the umpteenth time...this has NOTHING to do with putting down less expensive gear, or putting down people who *choose* to use less expensive gear because it meets their needs or they simply can't afford better.
There is good inexpensive gear...but there is also better high-end gear that will outperform much of the inexpensive stuff when it's needed and called for.
Each person can decide how far they wish to go with their gear and their budgets.

So with that, I'm done with this thread, because I can see that no matter what anyone says, the ignorant, stubborn person here will keep coming back to drive this debate around in circles....asking for answers and rejecting them all.
That's trolling.

I also ask the mods one more time to check if this is not someone who has been here before under a different name...because this whole discussion approach sounds all too familiar.

Ciao...

This thread is so long and tangled that I can't remember what I said or when I said it. I wanted to say something about diminishing marginal returns or decreasing marginal utility, but I think I (or someone else) made the point.

I also wanted to say that, conceptually speaking, money or spending is simply another variable. Most of us have the goal of making good recordings. How is that done? Typically by experimentation based upon our understanding of what variables impact the outcome of the process. There are, of course, many variables including the room, our monitors, the signal chain, miking techniques, and a whole host of other factors too plentiful to name. Unless you are touched by the hand of God (or some other higher being), you simply have to work your way through this process. In that quest, money or the cost of equipment is simply another variable. You can theorize your way around it, but the only way to find out is to spend and test. Sadly, this form of experimentation is not available to all. People have budgets and we can't all manipulate the cost variable to our liking. Apparently, God (or some other superior being) decided that it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven. He also decided that since the rich can't go to heaven, they can have all the gold and, in this case, all the recording equipment. :D

Well...at least you finally came clean and explained your situation.
So you don't know what you don't know....and what you are really looking for here is someone to show you what you don't know.
That's why you keep asking for proof...proof...proof!

The only problem is...how does anyone prove one thing has better sonic quality than another on an internet forum...where all you have is the typed text...?
And before anyone says you can post sound clips...well that will get us nowhere because then the validity of those sound clips will be questioned ad nauseam, because that's what close-minded people do...they keep trolling for "answers", but always rejecting all of them.
They have to...so they can cling to their misguided beliefs.

That's why all the YouTube "shootouts" always leave more questions than answers on the table. Each person is listening on different playback systems, in different environments. The only thing that comes close to getting a true A/B comparison is to be there in person and prove it to yourself...which is not possible for most folks, or buying a lot of gear just to do your own A/B.
That's why I said earlier...when my new studio is done and ready, I'll invite anyone from here to bring som gear and we can do some hands-on comparisons.

Of course, the other way to arrive at some pretty solid conclusions is to look at the already existing huge body of proof.
It's called the pro music/audio industry.
Those people didn't all come together to use and promote high quality audio gear, just as a scam on the home rec crowd, to get them to spend their hard earned money on high-end gear that is really no better than the cheap stuff...and that high-end gear all just "hype" for the sake of "fancy name plates".
Only an ignorant person would even begin to think that...or one who is just stubborn and mainly looking to troll.

The pro audio industry couldn't care less what some guy at home is using...but they do care about what they use.
And again, for the umpteenth time...this has NOTHING to do with putting down less expensive gear, or putting down people who *choose* to use less expensive gear because it meets their needs or they simply can't afford better.
There is good inexpensive gear...but there is also better high-end gear that will outperform much of the inexpensive stuff when it's needed and called for.
Each person can decide how far they wish to go with their gear and their budgets.

So with that, I'm done with this thread, because I can see that no matter what anyone says, the ignorant, stubborn person here will keep coming back to drive this debate around in circles....asking for answers and rejecting them all.
That's trolling.

I also ask the mods one more time to check if this is not someone who has been here before under a different name...because this whole discussion approach sounds all too familiar.

Ciao...

I find out before I decide to buy.

I just just being polite trying to get you to see you need to know too.

But that failed so I will ask outright: Why are you so dense and stupid that you think more money means better stuff?

Proof? What proof? I asked you about proof but you preferred double talk and insults.

HOW do you prove something is better.
Your preference is not proof of anything except your being willing to throw money away thinking more expensive means more better.

Last I looked this was home recording forum not pros making money as a business forum.

This discussion must come up often on many fora. Proves nothing. Which is what you did with respect to knowing what gear is better and how.

Unless I see fisticuffs and soon, I'm going to another thread or another forum. Or I may just go watch Netflix. Anybody got a recommendation?

:eatpopcorn:

Perhaps I can help. You see I just graduated from MIT with a PhD in "Which Gear Sounds Best". I just delivered a definitive paper entitled "Expensive gear. Is it really better than cheap shitty gear?" The paper was very well received. People particularly liked my use of linear regression analysis to demonstrate to a 99% confidence level that yes, expensive gear is better than cheap crap. I'll shoot you a copy when it gets back from the publisher. In the meantime can we put this pointless black hole of a thread to bed?

Perhaps I can help. You see I just graduated from MIT with a PhD in "Which Gear Sounds Best". I just delivered a definitive paper entitled "Expensive gear. Is it really better than cheap shitty gear?" The paper was very well received. People particularly liked my use of linear regression analysis to demonstrate to a 99% confidence level that yes, expensive gear is better than cheap crap. I'll shoot you a copy when it gets back from the publisher. In the meantime can we put this pointless black hole of a thread to bed?

MIT
wowee I am impressed
did you take course 6 or course 12

by what criteria did you determine it was better

was it all better or only some of the higher priced stuff

could you order them all in a linear sequence of goodness

i would love to see that paper
i saw an old one from AES a few decades ago that disagreed

maybe gear makers have gotten more honest with their claims and pricing now

MIT
wowee I am impressed
did you take course 6 or course 12

by what criteria did you determine it was better

was it all better or only some of the higher priced stuff

could you order them all in a linear sequence of goodness

i would love to see that paper
i saw an old one from AES a few decades ago that disagreed

maybe gear makers have gotten more honest with their claims and pricing now

Sorry man, but you are out of line and I find you quite rude and offensive. A nice way to call you a name that everyone already has said under their breath.

I see you as the one being condescending to others opinions and not willing to listen to anyone other than yourself.

I actually can't believe you have not been neg repped or reported yet...

Just sayin...:eatpopcorn:

Sorry man, but you are out of line and I find you quite rude and offensive. A nice way to call you a name that everyone already has said under their breath.

I see you as the one being condescending to others opinions and not willing to listen to anyone other than yourself.

I actually can't believe you have not been neg repped or reported yet...

Just sayin...:eatpopcorn:

I'm with ya, [MENTION=112380]jimmys69[/MENTION] This thread has been starting to piss me off. 14 pages of troll fest.

And I have a legitimate tech thread up that I'm trying to get help on, so I can get back to work on a project. That thread is getting No traction.
I'm sure there are others in a similar situation.

This troll is hogging all the bandwidth and sucking people into his 'how many people can i piss off' game. ( like a dummy I took the bait)

Yeah, it can be fun and entertaining for a minute, and people start putting up the popcorn smileys. But still....14 pages wasted on this bullshit, and I'll bet the op is laughing his ass off everytime he checks a new post.

Personally I think he's full of shit. Claims to have worked for 40 some years with tape. Well if true, any old timer would be able to recognize the value of quality gear.

I think this is just a massive trolling adventure.

Last edited:

OF COURSE more expensive gear is "better" than cheaper gear. How much "better" is subjective, and has already been pointed out ad infinitum: there is a point of diminishing returns.
Trying to say that more expensive gear is NOT better than cheaper gear is just absurd. But if you don't want to believe it, go ahead and use sub-$100 USB mics and Behringer inline A-D USB converters, and stop whining, arguing and RECORD MUSIC.

Hum..I didn't know that Mit Romney had started his own university. :laughings:

I'd love to see copy of the paper. But I'm so excited that I have questions now. For example, if you used linear regression, did you account for all the assumptions required to accurately generate the regression coefficients. It seems that there would be a high degree of interactivity among several of the independent variables. Perhaps a path model would be helpful to explore some of these complex relationships. Second, and perhaps most important, how did you operationalize the dependent variable? I assume it was some measure of quality. But what and how was it measured. My approach in a similar work was to gather a random sample of 100 mixing engineers. The sample was stratified to include engineers at all levels including those who recorded in their homes and simply thought they were actual engineers. I then prepared a listening session where each engineer rated a random sample of recorded music from 1 to 100. Each of the recorded samples was examined to determine the type and cost of equipment used. Each engineer was also asked to characterize the music quality in dichotomous terms, where 1=Crap and 0=Gold. I wanted to also run the independent variables against a simple dichotomous dependent variable so I could use a Logit or Probit analysis. I'm not always comfortable with multimartie linear regression and sometimes I find Logit or Probit to be helpful.

Of course, I never completed the study or my dissertation for that matter. So I'm currently ABD. Sometimes this stuff is just impossible to measure. :p And nobody will fund the research. :(

OF COURSE more expensive gear is "better" than cheaper gear. How much "better" is subjective, and has already been pointed out ad infinitum: there is a point of diminishing returns.
Trying to say that more expensive gear is NOT better than cheaper gear is just absurd. But if you don't want to believe it, go ahead and use sub-$100 USB mics and Behringer inline A-D USB converters, and stop whining, arguing and RECORD MUSIC.

define better
your claim is that spending more is always better
logic says there is no objective way to prove it
only that your preference is for one or the other

expensive gear usually tends to be more reliable, easier to use, fancier cases, veblen qualified wiring, and maybe a better UI etc
but it does not sound any better than modest priced gear
it only sounds different

you may prefer the sound of the expensive gear but that does not make it better
and there is no logical way to prove that any gear is better than some other except in a few very rare cases of comparing top of the line gear to some drugstore all in 1 box

as to A/D converters they almost all use one of the 3-4 chips that are available and all have the same results on conversion with such minor differences that no normal person can tell the difference in the sound

i woudl never use any usb mike but that is my silver eared preference plus not liking the usb connection direct for a mike using realtek to control it

Back