How do i make sound with my set up? Aaah!

midinewb

Hey everyone, big time newbie here

My question is this. I cant get my keyboard to make sound through my laptop. Ive tried everything and nothing has helped. My set up is as follows

Korg N264, connected to a 2011 macbook pro running the latest version of Logic Pro X. Its connected using a midi to usb cable, and the "in" is connected to the "out" and vice versa. When I open a new project, i create a software instrument. My computer is recognizing the keyboard as well. Does that mean there is a setting im missing on the keyboard?

Thanks in advance

Midi does not send sound. The sound needs to be generated by a synth either in the box or hardware.

If you are using one of the common USB to 2 X MIDI cables - remember that SOME of them have backwards labelling - as in the connector marked 'in' goes to the out connector on the keyboard. Well worth trying if you haven't done this already.

If you are using one of the common USB to 2 X MIDI cables - remember that SOME of them have backwards labelling - as in the connector marked 'in' goes to the out connector on the keyboard. Well worth trying if you haven't done this already.

Aha! I had assumed Rob that this was a USB-USB keyboard obviously not.

Dave.

I wouldn't go that far. ;)

OP, usually there are two main steps, if the computer is recognising your midi adapter.
First you have to select that device as a midi input device in Logic's main settings,
then second you have to select that device as the input device for your track; The one which has a virtual instrument on it.

Really it's the same way you'd handle an audio input.
1: Make sure recording software is using the right device. 2: Make sure some track is set to receive from that device.

I don't use logic so I can't guide you click by click, but that's the rough idea. :)

Still reckon that the odds are that the in into the out is wrong in this case. Rather like those SCART 6 phonos to SCART cables where video in might mean in 'to' or in 'from'. Of course this does also assume the right driver is installed doesn't it?

Back