Help me find a mixer and amp for my Podcast. This is the equipment I'm using...

WaldoJones

Hello :)

What I'll be doing:
I'm starting a Podcast series. Each episode will be roughly 1 to 2 hours long. Generally there will be only 2-3 guests, but there may be an occasion where there are 4 guests. I may or may not ever have 5, but I think it's unlikely and I can live with just 4 guests. I think 5 guests is just too many for a podcast.
Everyone will be in the same room except. In later episodes I may call people using a Y-cable and an iPhone, or maybe one of these: hb30LIl.png
It will still be done with these 3 people in the room.

So idk much about mixers, or if they can handle 4 microphones, but I hear some get really hot.

What I want:

I want one that doesn't get really hot, can handle the tasks I'm doing, has 4-5 XLR microphone inputs. I think I want one that has a pre-amp built in and is digital or USB, but I'd need to learn more before I make that decision. Is it better to have an external converter? Like this? peaveyUCA202Lenovo.jpg

My Budget:
- $100-300. I'm willing to by used High-end stuff. Really, I'm just a beginner so I need something I can start with. I have no problems handling a confusing looking one because I can learn all the features, but I don't think I need effects. Do I need effects? What are the benefits of effects?

How you can help me:
- Tell me the pro's and con's of analog vs. digital for my use.
- Recommend two mixers for my use, that's within my budget range. One that's analog, one that's digital.
- Tell me what a headphone amp is useful for other than individual volume control.
- Recommend a headphone amp I could use if you think I need one.

The budget is completely different to the question asked in the recording technique section?

Why the hell do you think that some mixers get really hot, who are you talking to about this stuff?

I told you the simple answer in the other section, a mixer that can take the number of mic inputs that you need and has a usb recording output to plug into the computer. It got complicated when you asked for each mic to record to its own track for editing in the recording technique section.

Alan.

The budget is completely different to the question asked in the recording technique section?

Why the hell do you think that some mixers get really hot, who are you talking to about this stuff?

I told you the simple answer in the other section, a mixer that can take the number of mic inputs that you need and has a usb recording output to plug into the computer. It got complicated when you asked for each mic to record to its own track for editing in the recording technique section.

Alan.

I don't understand your first question, or sentence, I guess I should say.

Some guy in the Youtube comments said that he could fry an egg on his last mixer because it got so hot. Maybe something was malfunctioning or he has it setup wrong?

I think I'm finally figuring it out, but I mentioned a lot of things on this post that I need answered that weren't discussed in our last conversation. Namely suggestions, if the mixer can handle 4 microphones...etc.

Also, do I want USB if I'm going to have it record into a "Roland R-05 Studio WAVE/MP3 Recorder"?
I think it's necessary to have a backup such as thing in case of software crashing.

I don't understand your first question, or sentence, I guess I should say.

The budget in the other thread was $500 - $1000 quote: "Let's say $500 to $1k. Try to keep it under $1k, but roam all budgets if you throw equipment suggestions at me. Assume I've already bought all 3-4 microphones and headphones." You then went on to talk about the mics being recorded to separate tracks. This highlights the problem of posting a similar question in multiple threads.

Some guy in the Youtube comments said that he could fry an egg on his last mixer because it got so hot.

Do you really believe this?

I think I'm finally figuring it out, but I mentioned a lot of things on this post that I need answered that weren't discussed in our last conversation. Namely suggestions, if the mixer can handle 4 microphones...etc.

You have to look at the specs for the mixer, the number of XLR mic inputs = the number of mics it can handle.

Also, do I want USB if I'm going to have it record into a "Roland R-05 Studio WAVE/MP3 Recorder"?
I think it's necessary to have a backup such as thing in case of software crashing.

If you are recording to a Roland R-05, then you don't need a usb output, however if you want a backup recording, if the mixer has a usb output you can record to the computer and record to the Roland R-05 at the same time with the Roland R-05 connected to the stereo line outs of the mixer.

cheers
Alan

The budget in the other thread was $500 - $1000 quote: "Let's say $500 to $1k. Try to keep it under $1k, but roam all budgets if you throw equipment suggestions at me. Assume I've already bought all 3-4 microphones and headphones." You then went on to talk about the mics being recorded to separate tracks. This highlights the problem of posting a similar question in multiple threads.
Yes, I did a higher budget because I was thinking more long-term on that thread. Then I learned more about how you can get awesome mixers for a low price. Previously I'd heard that you'll never get a good mixer under $500.

I also learned a RIDICULOUS amount of stuff since that last post. I've been asking questions non-stop for roughly 48 hours on several forums and filling all the holes in response times with Youtube videos and blog tutorials. Rome wasn't built in a day. You can't expect a total beginner like me to stay consistent. Plus having no previous framework on this field, it's best to hear a bit of everything. Ranges, cords, brands...etc.

Do you really believe this?
I have no idea what to believe, this is 100% a new learning curve for me. You could say 50 things about how laser beams work and I would have to consider all 50 of them until I learned more for myself. Don't underestimate how little a complete noob really knows.

You have to look at the specs for the mixer, the number of XLR mic inputs = the number of mics it can handle.
I'd gotten the impression that some mixers can't handle as much as their suited to handle. But microphones aren't much to handle anyways, right?

If you are recording to a Roland R-05, then you don't need a usb output, however if you want a backup recording, if the mixer has a usb output you can record to the computer and record to the Roland R-05 at the same time with the Roland R-05 connected to the stereo line outs of the mixer.

I always welcome a backup. Btw, I can't figure out what cords go from the mixer to the Roland R-05, can you help me out? I mean Cord-type btw.
Is it a male-female, auxiliary, USB, XLR?

Fist up, I don't want you to think I am being a smart Arse, however every time I answer a question the goal posts move around, I am only trying to help.

The Roland R-05 can take a line input via a stereo mini jack, that is what you would connect to the mixer. The other end of the cable would depend on what the mixer had available for the recording output. I.E RCA, Jack or XLR outputs.

If you want to do this on the cheap and get good results, you can buy many mixers that have at least 4 mic inputs and a USB recording output, brands that come to mind are: Behringer, Mackie, Yamaha, Soundcraft, the list goes on, and all of them would do the job, however they will only record stereo out of the mix, not each mic to a track. To recored each mic to a track will need a more expensive mixer or something like what I suggested earlier the Tascam US1800 or similar.

I would buy the headphone amp as talked about earlier as connecting 4 sets of phones, plus yours if you need to monitor whats going on, will be a bit much for a single headphone output.

One thing to remember about comments from people that some mixers won't handle the inputs they are supposed to and using mixers as a cooking device, the problem is often operator error.

I sometimes do gigs where we grab a Behringer 4 Mic mixer (old one too) and put 2 vocals, kick drum and overhead through it and it sounds fine. I currently own 4 small Behringer mixers in amongst the more expensive stuff I own and I have recorded lectures and small gigs through them as they are small and convenient and the results are fine. The radio station I work at has a small Behringer mixer that they use as an auxiliary input if there is a live acoustic act in the studio and that sounds fine also.

Cheers
Alan.

Just an observation?
The term "hot" is used (some might say MISused!) in audio speak to mean at least two things apart from the normal sense of the word.

The tip of a TRS/TS jack or pin 2 of an XLR connector is said to be "hot" as it carries the actual, live, "in phase" signal. The other pins carry either no signal at all or the phase inverted signal. In a balanced TRS jack, the ring is referred to as "cold" and the long sleeve as "earth" "ground" or "common". In an XLR pin 3 is cold and pin 1 common.

The other usage sense is of a signal level higher than normal. The standard (ish!) "domestic" signal level is -10dBV or 0.316 volts so, a signal of 0dBV or 1.0volts would be termed "hot" and a signal of +20dBV VERY hot! And in fact would grossly overdrive most consumer kit.

The audio/recording game is a very technical one and despite the fact that EVERYTHING must work by the rules of physics and logic, many people talk in a very loose way and many of them have little grasp of the realities of the electronics or acoustics involved. There is a very great deal of myth, wannabee magic, willy waving and general misinformation trotted out on forums. HR is one of the "cleanest" in this regard as is Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media

Dave.

How about the possibility of simplifying the setup, perhaps use a Zoom H6 as the mixer and recorder (or usb interface)? It can do the mix, record separate tracks, etc. Seems like something to consider.

Thank you guys for your replies.
@witzendoz
Special thanks to you for your replies.

I pretty much figured out my equipment. I've come a long way in knowledge from when I first started and on the first day I was completely dumbfounded on how the process worked.

Here is what I got, or am getting,

Microphones: 4 Heil PR-40's with stands, shock mounts, and pop filters.
Headphones 4 Sony MDR-7506's.
Mixer: Mackie 1202-VLZ3 12-Ch. Compact Recording/SR Mixer (Possibly the Mackie 1402VLZ4, depends on which bid I win on eBay).
Recorder: Roland R-05 Portable Audio Recorder.
And a bunch of XLR cables and Y cables.

Am I missing anything? I still don't know if a headphone amp is necessary, but if it's not I'm going to upgrade to it at a much later day.
I'm literally exhausted from all the research I've done.

And as for budget, my budget was always wavering because I have a co-host putting in just as much money as me. But him and I, were always vague and unclear about how much we really had to spend until just recently. We worked it out and found the best prices.

Our pleasure to help,

Are you missing anything? are these mixers capable of recording to a computer our are you just recording to the Roland?

With cables there is always something else LOL, but you will have most things covered.

You will only have 1 headphone out on the mixer so you will need to make up a multi connector of some kind to plug in all the phones, Behringer make a small headphone distribution amp for about $20 HA400, that may do for now and won't cost anymore then making up a multi connector system.

Best of luck

Alan.

Back