Help connecting Tascam DP-008EX recorder to Behringer Xenyx 1202 mixer!

cbrown_869

Hey guys,

I've just picked up a Behringer Xenyx 1202 mixer that I want to run through my Tascam DP-008EX to record drums.

The mixer is getting power, and the mics are working, as I can monitor them through headphones. My problem lies in syncing the two pieces, and the cables I need to do so.

Here are photo links to the inputs:

Tascam DP-008EX - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Behringer Xenyx 1202 - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Cody.

I think you should be able to go from the main out pair of TRs on the Behringer to the inputs of the Tascam. Are you field recording?

The Berry mixer would feed the DP-008 from the CD/Tape output RCA "phono" sockets and that would need a stereo RCA to TS jack cable.

The Tascam's line inputs are rated at -10dBV, about 300mV but, AFAICT the 1202 will feed the full Main Mix output of +4dBu (~1volt) from those RCAs with a max OP of +22dBu (~8V) The Tascam will overload at about +6dBV so some care in the setting of the Behringer's main fader might be required.

The mixer's manual shows the RCAs feeding a laptop so things COULD be fine!

To get signal back from the DP, you will need a stereo RCA -RCA cable to feed the CD/Tape inputs although it might be better operationally to go into a pair of the mixers line ins or FX returns. Easiest to get RCA-RCA cables and a rake of RCA to 1/4" jack adaptors (about the only audio adaptor I have any time for!) .

Whatever, do not stint yourself on wires, them's pretty cheap these days and even the cheapest crap will not affect the sound quality. You cannot do any damage however you hook up the audio paths, might be be overloud and distorted but won't smoke!

Dave (didn't someone ask a similar question a week or 3 ago? )

Probably could use a pair of 1/4" TS to 1/4" TS cables as well for the way the RCA's appear to be paralleled up to the Main Outs in the 1202 (unless Dave's seeing something I'm not).

Attachments

• 1202.jpg
    1202.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 39
Probably could use a pair of 1/4" TS to 1/4" TS cables as well for the way the RCA's appear to be paralleled up to the Main Outs in the 1202 (unless Dave's seeing something I'm not).

Yeah... that's what I was getting at however you said it better.:D

No Mark, you've got it all there!

I did not find a block diagram (Behrs' used to include them in their otherwise excellent manuals, seems daft to drop them when tis but a byte or two of data?) but reading the text it said the RCAs were just duplication of the Mains.
Pretty poor show really when they really should be attenuated to -10dBV levels, can't think 4 SMT resistors would have busted the budget?

Fortunately I have always found Behringer mixers to be pretty low noise (despite what the haters say) so the Main OP control can simply be backed off to avoid overloading the Tascam.

Naturally! There is the "elephant" no one has mentioned? Really should get a modest Audio Interface!

Dave.

You dudes are the best. Ran 1/4"/ to 1/4" cables from the A/B on the Tascam to the main outs on the Behringer. Working like a charm!

Thanks again!

Thing is...The MO jacks are really intended to feed a monitor system (speaker ARE the next step ?) and that is why I suggested the RCA outs.

But so long as OP is happy!

Dave.

Back