General Vocal Recording Question

YoungDreamer

Hey I'm new to recording and was wondering if those of you that been recording for sometime, record with the plug ins on or off? I have trouble recording while I have auto tune on, I'm not sure if it's just the latency thats bothering me or if should I just lay down the vocal then add all my plug ins after the vocal has been laid? :confused:

Thank you for your help. :)
Sorry if I was a bit confusing, if you're confused please tell me where and I'll try my best to elaborate.

As often happens Dreamer, you have committed the cardinal sin of not giving any details of the mic, AI, software, computer type or its power.

But in general yes. Track "clean" and "dry" THEN mess about. I don't know how Auto Tune works but I am willing to bet an XLR cable it EATS CPU cycles for breakfast?

Dave.

The vast majority of the time you're best off recording completely dry to give you options to change and adjust things later when you can hear how everything fits together in the mix.

What can be useful sometimes if your hardware supports it is to add a bit of reverb in the headphone mix--many vocalists find this makes it easier to sing on key. However, if your hardware won't let you do this without recording it, I wouldn't bother.

Autotune is ALWAYS a nono in a monitor mix though. You end up playing circular tag with autotune while trying to find the note.

Yeah I woulb'nt record through Autotune. I mainly add a pre fader send to a reverb aux track so the vocalist has some sense of space. It's not printed, it just gets used while the vocalist songs.

OP, if the idea of adding ego boosting reverbs attracts but the gear is not up to it you could look for a small mixer with built in effects and insert that in the AI's headphone circuit.

Cheap, $50 mixers are legion and often seen in Cash Generator shops. They might not be of super sound quality but usually good enough for a bit of 'verb.

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

OP, if the idea of adding ego boosting reverbs attracts but the gear is not up to it you could look for a small mixer with built in effects and insert that in the AI's headphone circuit.

Cheap, $50 mixers are legion and often seen in Cash Generator shops. They might not be of super sound quality but usually good enough for a bit of 'verb.

I did not post twice! First of all, nothing happened when I hit "post" then I got a screen (often have here!) "Do you want to leave this page?" I have to click Yes otherwise nothing happens but this is the first time it has doubled up!
Dave.

Back