First steps

Minsterel

Hi There.
I have been given the use of a Fostex DMT-8 mixing desk, microphones and headset. This is my first venture into using such equipment and I have successfully recorded utter rubbish using the first chanel. Needless to say I don't want to keep or do anything with this first trial. How do I erase it? I have studied the manual, which is really most unhelpful. :confused:
This leads on to my second question, is there such a thing as 'Mixing Desks for Idiots' guide with good clear diagrams and simple instructions that don't pre-suppose a grasp of all the technical jargon?
Thank you.

The instructions on page 90 of the manual seem clear enough:

(1) Press the RECORD TRACK key for the track you want to erase.
(2) Press ERASE.
(3) When the display reads "Are you sure?", press EXECUTE/YES.

I don't think any general-purpose book on mixing will give you specific instructions for operating a specific machine. Your best bet is to read and re-read the manual and experiment until you get the hang of it. Everything you do in multitrack recording has a learning curve. There are no shortcuts. Good luck. :)

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/tech_support/pdfs/dmt8_owners_manual.pdf

Thanks Diggy-Dude. You have helped me solve one mystery. I mis-read the display as ER A5 and have been puzzling over this for ages! I though it was a part of the track... Now I have followed the instructions on the bottom of page 90 loads of times. Just done it again after re-reading the page and your message. I am working on the first line. So first button (Input/sel) set to input. Recorder set to G1/G2. light blinking. Hit erase button, then get Are you sure? Hit execute. Get completed up. Hit Exit. Rewind and then play to see whether it has worked. NOPE! Ok, perhaps Input sel switch wrong. Set to Track. Thought this did the trick - no sound, BUT levels still showing indicating sound is still there.
I really do want to do what mjpphotos suggests, but I need to crack this one first! What have I missed? I wonder, do I need to go through all the steps from the top of page 90 where it talks about punch in and punch out?
What a good job I enjoy a challenge!

Back