First recordings are "out of phase"... please help

ssealy412

So I made a first recording of a sequence from my drum machine. The drum machine goes to a hardware compressor, and then to a hardware maximizer before getting to my laptop.

When I look at the resulting recording in the my .wav editor, one channel is visually very "different" than the other. I'm aware that I am making a stereo recording, but I did not think that it would be sooo different.

Also, when I open my T-racks software plug ins, there is a phase correlation meter. When playing this bit of audio back, the correlation swings almost to +1 for the entire recording.

Why is this happening? I will be happy to answer any questions...

If you are using the1/8 input on the laptop instead of a proper interface, you might not have it plugged in all the way.

Also, if you are doing that and bought the wrong adapter, you could be sending the two sides of a balanced signal to the left and right input.

We need more info about the signal path.

Hi all - thanks for the input. I have a TASCAM US-144 that does my Analog-to-digital, and connects to my laptop via USB.

The Chain:

Roland drum machine
Bellari RP583 compressor
BBE 382i sonic maximizer
TASCAM US-144 for ADC

So I ran the drum machine straight in to the US144, and recorded the result. Spot-on this time, with very little difference in the channels, which was my original intention.... Ergo, it must be something with the compressor or maximizer. I'll report back tomorrow with what I find...

Any other comments welcome. Your help is very much appreciated...

Get rid of the BBE. It is designed for a very specific purpose, which has nothing to do with recording drum machines.

Yeah....lose the BBE, and also it might be the link option in the comp not being enganged if you are doing actual stereo drums from the Roland. You can get weird things happaning if both sides are not compressing the same way...
...and, the Bellari is balanced I/O. I've seen comps set for stereo that have strange level mismatches occur when you unbalance the audio going in, especially in a stereo setup.

Honestly...why do you even need any of that stuff up front. The samples in the Roland have probably been already processed to death. Just go from the Roland right into the converter. You can always tailor the sounds later in the the DAW as needed.

Honestly...why do you even need any of that stuff up front. The samples in the Roland have probably been already processed to death. Just go from the Roland right into the converter.

This is what I'm thinking. You're compressing sounds that are already compressed and processed. I wouldn't even use that stuff on non-processed stuff, but certainly not on already-processed drum samples. I'm pretty sure this is a case of "I have them , so I have to use them". But they're going to do nothing but harm and nothing good.

Yeah, what they ^^^^ said. And doesn't the BBE work by skewing the phase on some of the signal? I think I read that's what it cheaply 'maximizes'.

Yeah, what they ^^^^ said. And doesn't the BBE work by skewing the phase on some of the signal? I think I read that's what it cheaply 'maximizes'.

Yeah, I can't remember for sure. But it's something about delaying the high-end signal or the low-end signal so that one gets to your ears before the other.

Or something.

You probably need to understand why you're putting things in between the drum machine and recording program. As with the others, get rid of the sonic maximiser.

Things don't need compressing unless they need compressing, and unless you can state why you're compressing your drum machine, don't do it...

If the answer to this is "Someone told me I should" then fair enough, but it's not necessarily good advice, particularly if it came from someone trying to sell you a BBE Sonic Maximiser and/or Bellari compressor.... :eek:

Back