Converting cassette multitracks to digital

Mr.Ease

Whadup party people? Apologies if this has issue has been specifically addressed, I couldn't find it. (My initial post in the DP-24 love thread was met by cricket chirps).
Being an absolute beginner in this area, I wonder if someone here might be kind enough to point me in the right direction. I just ordered a DP-24 and my 1st project is digitizing my old 4 track tapes. My 1st issue:
I have a Tascam 424 I've never used previously & I need to know how to dump 4 tracks at once since the only outs are 2 RCA's, a headphone out, & 1 effects send.
Furthermore, I'd like to know how to make the tapes sound as good as possible (restore as much lost frequencies as I can, minimize phasing if possible). The question is should I employ outboard gear? (if so, which makes/models) Or should I forgo rack equip entirely, & once the tracks are on the flash drive, should I use software to clean up the audio? (And which programs?) :confused: Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Unless you want to mix the tracks together (4 tracks to stereo out), you can only send 2 seperate tracks out of the 424 at a time.

You can't 'restore' lost frequencies. If the signal is not there, its not there. Using EQ, you can boost signals that are low, but they have to be there first.
If you are going to use software to try to clean up the old recordings, you'd do better to skip the DP-24 entirely in the process, use an audio interface to send the audio signals from the 424 directly to a DAW (recording program).

Thanks a lot for your response Mike I appreciate it. Of course you're right about lost frequencies. I kind of forgot about that. I meant to say enhance what's still there. What I was thinking is, I would dump the tape tracks to the flash card, put the flash card in the computer, and tweak from there with the right ware/plugins. But if I don't get any alternative responses, I'll def take your advice, thanks!:thumbs up:

Can you cancel that DP24 order? I wish I'd saved my money buying a stand-alone recorder. Once you start doing something in a full-featured DAW (like Reaper), you never want to go back.
I kind of miss 'riding the faders' during mix down ... NOT! :listeningmusic:

LOL. Thanks for the friendly concern Mike. No worries though. I did a fair amount of homework on my current options, and suffice it to say, the DP-24 was the only way for me to get a new, warranted rig capable of 24 track recording under $500. And rest assured that I'm not the tiniest bit delusional enough to think that I'll be creating any award-winning productions on it.
Of course I would have preferred to get an AKAI DPS24, or Roland VS-2480 etc. But those aren't being made anymore :spank: and I know much as I would have loved having a used one, I don't think I could've afforded the upkeep being that I don't have any deal-cutting tech head friends.

As for computer recording, I'm CONSTANTLY on a laptop as it is & have frankly suffered enough eye strain. Add to that the immense frustration of dealing with the myriad of problems involving compatibility issues, drivers, finding affordable out board gear, & not to mention all that licorice spaghetti everywhere, no thanks. Personally, I find that when a "muse" visits, you need to be able to drop everything & engage right away. How many great ideas have died a lonely death in the shower? Sometimes having to fire up a DAW can be an inspirado killer. Having said all that, in the end I can always dump the raw tracks onto a computer for in depth production. So I see it as a win-win. Good lookin out though :thumbs up:

I was thinking about your issue of getting your mix out of your 4 track using only 2 tracks at a time. ONe thing I was thinking might be possible would be to export tracks 2 at a time (one panned left one panned right to keep them separate) to a DAW, but make one of them be your drum or click track.

so for example:
export1: drum track - guitar track
export2: drum track - bass track
export3: drum track - keyboard track...

then in software you could line all the tracks back up using the spikes on the drum tracks. Most DAWs will let you slide tracks by a few samples so as long as you're able to get the drum tracks lines up you should be able to get everything else lined up also. If your 4 track runs at a very consistent speed this might be workable.

Anyhow, just an idea. I had a project blow up on me once where I had quite a few takes recorded from different punch points, but the project file itself got lost. I had to manually realign all the takes. It can be done, but it can take a while and alot of patience. At least with the 4 track it'll be quicker because you won't have so many file fragments to deal with. I think once you get them lined up in a PC you could easily export them back to your new recorder. Not sure if your new recorder lets you shift start points for tracks, so not sure if you could do this without a PC.

Hope this helps.

This may or may not be of any use to you but the 424 looks kind of like a 4 track version of the 488 {or probably vice versa}. Utilising this might bring you some success. It's basically a way of getting all 8 tracks out of the 488 even though there are only 4 outs. It's a way of doing so using a combination of outs, headphone jack, effect sends and I've been using it for a while now to get my 8 track tapes into my DAW {the Akai DPS12i} for further manipulation and easier mixing.
It hopefully will at least give you some ideas on where to start.

As far as you using the DP24......

I like your thinking !

I'm a hopeless standaloner !
{At the moment}

I looked at the MkI manual & agree with arcaxis that the tape out switch at the back SHOULD allow you to take all four lines indep at the back panel.
My ancient yamaha MT100 has a direct out RCA at the back of each input section - very easy to use & I simple connected each to a sep input on my interface & uploaded (well recorded) directly into Cakewalk (& now Reaper) where I could then proceed with a little cleaning/restoration and augment, odub & mix.
Easy stuff & FUN.
I LOVE my 2 cassette 4 tracks.
When running the info out it SHOULD come out premix so that the signal is as recorded. make sure you have everything clean & demagnetize the heads etc so that you get the best signal possible from your tape. (run the tapes forward & back to ebsure they are venly wound as well).
Good luck.

WOW! After initially hearing from Mike, I didn't think any of you other guys cared ;) Thanks
smili, grimtraveller, arcaxis, & rayC for the advice :thumbs up:
Now all's I need is a window time-wise to try out your recommendations LOL. I should probably hold off till I find my demagnitizer too. Thanks rayC 4 reminding me about running the tapes to & fro beforehand. I'd read that meself on SOS. re: being a "hopeless standaloner"; although I know its a bit of a trade off as far as flexibility & sound quality, I think the benefits outweigh the minuses - especially at this price point ($399!)
I'll post my results when I (eventually) get around to doing this. Have a fun, productive year everyone :guitar:

fwiw - try arcaxis's method first. It'd be much better if you can get every track out at 1 time in 1 go. I honestly kindof doubt things would time align if you can only get 2 out at a time (even w/ abilities of DAW and sonic markers like drums) - but if it was a last resort...

fwiw - try arcaxis's method first. It'd be much better if you can get every track out at 1 time in 1 go. I honestly kindof doubt things would time align if you can only get 2 out at a time (even w/ abilities of DAW and sonic markers like drums) - but if it was a last resort...
^^^^^^^^Ditto. One of the things that drove me to finding an 'all in one go' solution was that. I could get 4 tracks out, no problem. But the other 4 tracks would have drifted so far that it was impossible to get them to sit together, especially over some of my 22 minute songs. Believe me, I tried.

Back