Connecting Studio Monitors To Interface?

ALopes819

Hey guys, I've been having an issue for about 2 days now. I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure this out but I can't :/

My question, I just bought a pair of Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors, it comes with an RCA cable that has a 3.5mm output(I think it's a 3.5mm output), a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable that connects the right speaker to the left speaker and power cord. Now what i'd like to know is how can i connect this to my audio interface ? Would i need to buy another cable in order to connect it to my interface? ALSO, There's a 1/8'' Stereo/Sub out, do i need that ? what is it used for ?

My Audio Interface(Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Interface):
Saffire-6USB.jpg

There's a diagram that shows where the monitors connect to, it's just that I don't know which cables i'll need, and how to connect it to my interface, RCA to RCA isn't recommended is it ?

1485140pop.jpg

Here's another diagram that shows the speaker input to the interface in a different location ?

1485121pop.jpg

thanks for the help in advance !

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 2,239
Looks like you can do RCA if that is what you have at both ends.

I connect a 1/4" adapter to a pair of low impedance lines,
run them to my amp and convert to RCA there.

Looks like you can do RCA if that is what you have at both ends.

I connect a 1/4" adapter to a pair of low impedance lines,
run them to my amp and convert to RCA there.

Well, the studio monitors didn't come with RCA to RCA cables, but you're saying I need to buy a new cable in order to connect this to my interface? Also, would RCA to RCA not be as good as RCA to TRS ?

here's the back of my studio monitors
121004_alesis_elevate3-01.jpg

You lost me there man, still new to all this stuff :/

Does the front of those speakers have an 1/8" input? If so, you can use the RCA/3.5" cable you mentioned in the original post. If not, than an RCA/RCA cable is what you need. Every time I buy any kind of A/V equipment, there always seems to be an extra one of those. So, you may have something laying around. Or just borrow it from some A/V equipment your not using just to try it. Don't forget to tell your computer to output sound to your interface.

Stefan

Does the front of those speakers have an 1/8" input? If so, you can use the RCA/3.5" cable you mentioned in the original post. If not, than an RCA/RCA cable is what you need. Every time I buy any kind of A/V equipment, there always seems to be an extra one of those. So, you may have something laying around. Or just borrow it from some A/V equipment your not using just to try it. Don't forget to tell your computer to output sound to your interface.

Stefan

The front has an input for headphones, and volume/power knob. Also, I have a subwoofer(small one that came with speakers i bought a while ago, the output for that is a 3.5mm and it fits perfectly into the 1/8'' stereo/subout, i can keep it in there right ? &| Ok i'll try using some RCA cables i have laying around and see if that works, i'll let you know in a few man, thanks !

Well, the studio monitors didn't come with RCA to RCA cables, but you're saying I need to buy a new cable in order to connect this to my interface?

Yes, you need to buy one standard stereo RCA cable and use it to connect it your
interface outputs 3/4 (labeled monitors above) and your main monitor.

Buy one long enough to reach from your interface to wherever you decide to place your monitors.

The front has an input for headphones, and volume/power knob. Also, I have a subwoofer(small one that came with speakers i bought a while ago, the output for that is a 3.5mm and it fits perfectly into the 1/8'' stereo/subout, i can keep it in there right ? &| Ok i'll try using some RCA cables i have laying around and see if that works, i'll let you know in a few man, thanks !

headphone connection goes the wrong direction. Yeah, let us know how those RCA cables work out.

Stefan

I'm using the RCA to RCA cables, yet im not getting any sound from the speakers? i have the red and white, plugged in the red/white inputs from my speaker, to the red/white of my interface (outputs 3 and 4), also, i have the button "O/P 3/4" pressed down and all the levels seem to be ok. My computer's volume levels are showing that sound is being outputted to the interface, just that nothing is coming from my speakers? I even unplugged the subwoofer and the problem still persists. :/

Try connecting a pair of headphones to the interface to make sure that the signal is making it to there.

Yea i get sound from my headphones, when i first switched from 3/4 output to headphone, it was distorted, and kept giving signal from left, then right, then in a "left,right,left,right" motion. Now it's good though. What does this mean for my speaker/monitor and interface? What do i need to fix this ?

Did you do into the control panel<sounds and change the output to your interface? Is the volume turned up on the speakers?

Yea i get sound from my headphones, when i first switched from 3/4 output to headphone, it was distorted, and kept giving signal from left, then right, then in a "left,right,left,right" motion. Now it's good though. What does this mean for my speaker/monitor and interface? What do i need to fix this ?

It may have to do with how your I/O are configured.

Also, the monitors came with RCA to 3.5mm, is it required that i use the 3.5mm as an output or something ? :/

Hard to say, everyone's gear is different, and I'm not familiar with yours.

Now that you have the fire put out and are getting some sound,
it is probably a good time to cozy up and Read The Manual.

Did you do into the control panel<sounds and change the output to your interface? Is the volume turned up on the speakers?

Yes, output = Saffire 6 Usb, Levels are 80 on my cpu, about .. 50+ on my interface and it's about half way, on the volume knob on the speaker

It may have to do with how your I/O are configured.

Now that you have the fire put out and are getting some sound,
it is probably a good time to cozy up and Read The Manual.

it comes with a quickstart guide, in which i've already read, doesn't seem to be much help. It does say that the "STEREO/SUB OUT" = "This is a full range audio output which can be connected to a mixer, powered speakers, or an external recording device."

Without plugging it into my interface and just plugging it directly into my pc, it works. Maybe the RCA to RCA cables i had were not the right ones ? Are all RCA to RCA cables the same ? Are there any difference between RCA to RCA cables ?

Line outputs 1/2 should be the default monitor outputs from the Focusrite. Not 3/4. You would have to select 3/4 from within a DAW.

Maybe, I'm not 100% sure that you have the right type of cable attached.

Yes, they only vary in brand and quality.

What type of cable did you use to connect them to your computer?

The RCA to RCA cables i had lying around in the house, look different than the ones that came with the speakers. THe ones that came with the speakers, have like 4 gold plated barrier-type things around the end of the cable. The ones i had lying around, were just round and silver. Could that be the problem ?

Back