Confused About Interfaces, Direct Inputs, and PreAmps

BenHemingway

Do interfaces include DIs and preamps these days or is it necessary to buy each one seperately?

I need to know what physical equipment is absolutely necessary to plug and record a microphone, guitar, and bass on a computer. As a kid I used to just plug directly into the computer, and now I understand why that produced less than desirable results. Unfortunately, after doing a lot of reading over the past month I'm confused about whether I need an audio interface, a direct input (passive or active?), a preamp, or all of the above. I'm recording instruments/vocals one at a time and I already have my instruments, cables, mic etc, it's how I get from point A to B that I'm working on now. I don't need a massive amount of bells and whistles, I want something simple to start out with, but something that is also good quality. I don't want to spend more than $250 on each piece. So, do interfaces include DIs and preamps these days or do I need to buy each one separately.

Also, this is a song I wrote/played guitar and bass on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hvay2RswWc the video was just a fun joke. Just to introduce myself.

Thanks in advance!

There are many different configurations that interfaces come in. You can certainly find several interfaces that have all the different inputs you need all in one unit.

I'm confused about whether I need an audio interface, a direct input (passive or active?), a preamp, or all of the above.

An interface, quite often, is all of the above.
Maybe that's the source of the confusion.

Most, or many, interfaces will have mic preamps, instrument inputs and live level inputs/outputs.

Hi Ben and welcome. If you want "quality" you will find nothing better than this..

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Sweetwater.com at anything like the price. Apart from two first class mic/DI inputs and two more line inputs it has 4 outputs (ideal for "re-amping" you'll find out!) and comes with some tasty software.
Cubase LE A1 Kontakt player and 3G of downloadable samples.

Ok, the Behringer has 4 mic inputs but in all other respects the KA6 hisses all over it. Get a small 2 mic input mixer and you are good as!

Dave.

Back