Aaron's Basic Guide to Audio

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
Here is my (VERY) basic guide to things dealing with audio. :D

Pad - Reduces volume by a fixed amount.

Preamp - Amplifier for a microphone or other low level source.

Phase - Inverts the polarity of the signal 180 degrees.

Filters - Attenuate unwanted frequencies. Low cut filters take out lower frequencies and vice versa.

EQ (Equalization) - Selective frequency amplification or attenuation.

Multi-track recorder - The recording device. Can be a tape machine, rackmount recorder, or a computer (DAW & Hardware).

Pan - Used to move the audio to the left or right speaker.

Fader - Volume control for a signal.

Aux (Auxiliary) (Send) - Creates a duplicate copy of the sound to be sent somewhere else (could be a piece of gear [Usually involves time based effects {Reverb, Chorus, Delay, etc.}])

Inserts - Completely replaces original signal with processed signal (Usually involves dynamic effects {EQ, Compression, etc.})

Buss - A pathway for the audio to travel.

Microphone - Transducer - Converts sound waves to a varying voltage which is an analog of the sound wave.
a.) Dynamic - Works by magnetic induction (Uses a diaphragm)
b.) Ribbon - Type of dynamic mic. (Uses a thin ribbon) Is more fragile
c.) Condenser - Work by changing capacity through oppositely charged plates. Requires phantom power (48v)

Cardiod - Mic is most sensitive in the front, least in the rear.

Figure 8 - Sensitive in the front and back, not in the sides.

Omni - Mic hears from all sources.

DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) - Recording solution existing entirely on a computer based system.

Compression - Makes the loud sounds quieter, and the quiet sounds louder.

Expander - Makes loud sounds louder, and quiet sounds quieter.

Gate - Mutes all unwanted sound below a given threshold.

Limiter - Prevents sounds from going over limited threshold.

Reverb - Replicating the sound of a room or a specific place (NO REPEATS)

Echo - Repetition of the dry sound (Usually between 100-500ms).

Delay - Longer, more precise repeats (Over 500ms).

Chorus - Adds a time delayed version to the dry sound

Flanger - Chorus with the output fed back to the input to give spacey effects.

Phaser - Creates a copy, delays it, & sweeps through an LFO (Low frequency oscillator).

MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) - A protocol for electronic instruments, computers and other equipment to communicate.

Lava Lamp - Greatly improves the sound of your recordings.

Last edited:
I guess no one likes my guide. :(

gallery_13127_1169_3441.jpg

Attachments

• gallery_13127_1169_3441.jpg
    gallery_13127_1169_3441.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 77
It's good. For microphone you could have said "a transducer which converts sound waves to a varying voltage which is an analogue of the sound wave". For chorus you could have said "adds a time-delayed version of the sound, the delay of which varies producing interesting phasing effects. Flanger is chorus with the output fed back to the input giving very spacey effects.

I like it.

You helped me understand a bit by defining some terms that
I still need to learn how to apply to get to where I'm going.

Specifically: Aux, Insert and Bus.

Understanding these terms, as well as the whole concept of routing signals while mixing
and actually using them in my projects is something that I am still working on.

(I've been having a hard time getting everything routed correctly, it seems to be the hardest thing for me to do so far).

Keep up the good work!
7511788530_306e956d61_t.jpg

Your definition of an INSERT could use some tweaking.
An INSERT is a path out and back in a channel or a Buss usually after the trim. Some consoles configure this before the EQ/ Fader section but some are post EQ but still pre Fader. All of this usually in a stereo type 1/4" connector. This connection designed for connection of external processors such as compressors or EQ's. It can also be pressed into service as a Direct Out which is handy.

I think you're definition of "Phase" is a bit wrong. Phase is the relationship between one sound wave and another. Waves are in phase if the peaks and troughs line up exactly. However, if one wave is delayed in time (for example by distance) the peaks and troughs don't line up and you can start to get strange effects, for example partial or full cancellation.

Changing polarity is, in effect, inverting one wave with respect to another without changing the time relationship.

Of course, understanding this isn't helped by the way many manufacturers use the symbol for phase (Ø) to denote a button that inverts polarity!

The other thing you might want to include is a definition of "Transducer" since you use that to define microphones. A transducer is simply an electronic device that converts energy from one form to another. For example, a microphone is a transducer that converts sound pressure waves to electrical energy. A speaker is also a transducer: one that converts electrical energy to sound waves.

Omni - probably more correct to say that the omni is equally sensitive (more or less) to sound coming from all directions.

Since we are being picky, I would also say that a pad attenuates (reduces) a signal by a set amount. ;)

Paul

CrowsofFritz
I apreciated your definitions, but I don't think that your definitions of "Inserts" and "Auxiliar"
An insert is made of two signals, one [Send] to be processed and one [Return], the processed one, so your description of Auxiliar is confusing.

If I'm wrong bare with me I'm just starting to get the lingo

Bobbsy raises a good point.
Maybe you could put
"Phase (incorrectly labelled on preamps) - Inverts polarity of signal." ?

Good idea man. I like it.

Back