44100 Hz vs. 22050 Hz

aoirenga

Hi!

I felt that I HAD to participate in this forum because there is a problem that I can NOT solve.

First of all, here is what I record with:

-lenovo r61 laptop
-MXL990 condensor mic
-M-Audio Audio Buddy pre-amp
-Cool Edit Pro 2.1 recording software

My problem is that when I record, the sound if muffled. Moreover, it sounds even more muffled (WORSE) when I record at 44100 hz than 22050 hz. Everyone that I have talked with has told me that it is strange for a lower hz to give me a better sound quality.

I don't know if my problem is my soundcard, the recording settings on my computer, or the mic/pre-amp that I use altogether that is preventing me from getting a better quality.

I mean, I have seen people on youtube that use the same mic/pre-amp as me, but they have a MUCH clearer sound.

It would be a great help if anyone could help me/give me advice to solve this problem.

I'm gonna guess it's settings in your soundcard. Do you have some active monitors, or a pa, or anything else to connect the audiobuddy outputs to? If that sounds clear, you know that's not the problem. Try connecting another source to your laptop line-in. How does that sound?

You're connecting the audiobuddy line outs to the laptop's line-in right? Not the mic-in? A mic input would be too sensitive to the stronger line level signal coming out of the audiobuddy, you could be clipping the hell out of that. You can see the input levels in cool edit right?

You're connecting the audiobuddy line outs to the laptop's line-in right? Not the mic-in?

I'm guessing that this is likelihood No. 1. Do not use the Mic input under any circumstances. If your laptop has only a mic input and does not have a "line" in, then you'll have to find a USB or cardbus interface.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you have some active monitors, or a pa, or anything else to connect the audiobuddy outputs to? Try connecting another source to your laptop line-in. How does that sound?

No, I do not. This is how I connect my stuff.

-First, the Audio Buddy runs gets its power from an AC adaptor.
-The MXL990 mic is connected to the Audio Buddy by an XLR cord
-Audio Buddy connects to my computer through a Stereo Audio Cable
-the stereo audio cable connects through my mic-in!!!
*my laptop does not have a line-in

The input levels are fine this way, but 44100hz is still more muffled than 22050 hz when I record.

Maybe the stereo audio cable that connects through my mic-in is the problem because Treeline said not to use the mic-in for anything:eek:

-Do you just suggest that I try to get a USB mic??
-Would that solve the 44100hz/22050hz muffle problem?

I am a beginner and on a budget ... If you think that it would be the best choice just to get a usb mic, which mic would you recommend? I was thinking about the MXL MXLUSB-006 Powered Condenser Microphone ...

Last edited:
This will probably fix your problems and at $99 it's pretty inexpensive. Use this instead of the Audio Buddy. The major difference is that this has a USB connection. Click on the pic for more information.

hm...
I looked it up, but it seems like it won't be out/sold until the end of april.

So I guess that you guys would suggest me to get a USB pre-amp instead of a USB mic...

I hope this fixes not only the quality of the sound, but the 44100 hz vs. 22050hz problem ... 'cuz that's just weird.

I will keep you gyus updated, but it will be about a month probably before I go get new recording materials! Thanks so far!

I hope this fixes not only the quality of the sound, but the 44100 hz vs. 22050hz problem ... 'cuz that's just weird.

You're getting hung up on the wrong thing - you've been using a non-digital input so your settings are all internal to the computer. If you start with a bad signal, changing the sample rate will give you an approximation of a bad signal. It will still sound like hell.

There isn't really any "issue" with 22 v. 44 here. The issue is that you're feeding the computer a real mess of a signal. Feed it a clean signal and it should be fine. Here's another interface, b-stock, $ 99. Click on the pic.

Back