Your expertise is sought . . .

chessrock

Banned
I've been working for the last month on a new project for a client I just took on. Because of the amount of hours spent tracking, mixing, fixing, and what not, I don't know if I have any objectivity left at all. :D

Anyway, I was wondering if at least a couple of the new ones would be worthy of including in the "listen to examples of my work" section of my web site, so I'm soliciting opinions. I realize that a lot of it has to do with the talent of the band and what not, but I'd also like to hear any input you might have on my end of things (engineering/production-wise).

I'm putting this one up first because I like it and I think it's fun. I don't know why, but for some reason I just like it. It's called "I wanna' know" and it's the first one listed here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1298&alid=-1

I wanna' know what you think . . .

in short..........yes.....include it in your examples............it's a very solid mix that i'm sure many bands would be happy to pay for.......good work

very nice, Chessrock.
I like how your not shy with the drums. the drums carry presence and are mixed well imo.
the song has a good vibe as a whole.
Go with it, it will fit well in your catalog of work.

The instruments are all sitting real well. I can clearly hear all the guitars, bass, and drums. The drums are recorded especially nice.

The only thing I might offer in the way of possible improvement is the double tracked vocals that are hard panned (unless you did this with some processing effect). Anyway, they didn't sync all that well - it was evident that there was more than one track. I would send the lead vox trax down the center.

Wow, this is some very encouraging feedback. For such a simple tune, you'd never believe how much time was put in to experimenting with different guitar and bass tones in order to have them all blend together. But it's REALLY nice to finally get a client that was willing to give me the time to do that. Most of the guys (that pass through here) just want to get in, get done, and get out (and settle for mediocre in the process). :D

Thanks for the criticism, TripleM -- the vocal thing is a little risky call, I'll admit.

It's just kind of a fun tune, though, isn't it? Thanks again for the feed, everyone. I hope you guys aren't just trying to be nice. :D

The recording is crystal clear. Good work.
From a marketing perspective - spotlight clients that sound like the bands you want to attract, not necessarily your best work. You seem to really like this band, and the recording sounds great, so go for it.

I love all of it...all of it...all of it.

Looped it for about an hour. I didn't hear anything that bugged me at all. Reminds me of some of Beck's work that I like (he's like 2 totally different artists). I know you're looking for mix comments since it's not "yours," but whatever you did fits perfectly in my opinion, and I actually like the tune a lot.

END OF "NOTHING USEFUL" POST. :D :D

I heard it as well defined and present, like in the room with me but not oppressive. I could hear everything very clearly and smooth, with natural sounding dynamics. I`d call textbook example if I knew what textbook example was. The group is tasteful.

I haven't read the other comments.

Cut the bass a bit if it's gonna get heard mostly by people with standard issue sound systems (ie, with hyped bottom end).

I really, really like this tune a lot. I would be proud to have done this one - playing or recording. Really good work. It's immediately accessible and an ace feelgood tune, so use it by all means to present your work.

Question: what's that stuff going on behind the chorus? It sounds like low-level crowd noise.

Nice tunage.....I really like this song a lot. It helps when you have something decent to work with.

The mix is very nice.............there's something about the bass though.....not quite sure what it is but it bothers me.....it's too round; not enough definition to it and it has this sort of overtone to it....I'm not sure how to describe it....a saturated sort of sound to it that I find very distracting. And I know you're a bass player too....so maybe I shouldn't say anything about the bass sound plus it might have something to do with my 'puter speakers .....

oh, you're right in town. that's good to know.

your stuff always has a really nice stereo spread. the drums sound great. actually everything sounds great on this. i'd vote for yes, add this to your porfolio.

i found the song kind of dull though. great recording with a kind of dull vocal performance.

Hmmm.... am I the only one who finds it over-bright to the point of being on the shrill-side???

I think you pushed the top-end sweetening a little too far, but other than that the mix is reasonably well-balanced....!

I would work on giving the vocal a bit more depth and thickness... the stereo effect is good but also makes it slightly washed-out and thin-sounding, so I would fatten it up a little.

Nice job overall, though!

the recording is pretty sparkling clean...but maybe a little on the trebly side.

things I'd change or dislike...

I hear a minor buzz going on with the intro guitar..(very minor.. I've heard much worse on commercial stuff, for sure).

when the band comes in, it is quite noticeable that the intro guitar goes down in volume and quickly pans to the left to make way for the stereo band... I am medium on that.. I'd maybe just start the gtr on the left too.

the interlude between the 1st and 2nd verse seems empty...like there is a soloing gtr...but you can't hear it....the wah one on the right side.

I'd take a more Presision Bass sound...a little punchier if you could.

the guitar again shifts toward the left right after the solo (on its solo break)

things I like...

the leslie gtr sound for the solo.. that is way cool..
and the panning that happens at the end of the solo

the break right after the solo where the band drops out.

general volume balances in the mix.

and...a nice tune;)

Ok my expertise!! Thats funny:D :D :D

The only negative thing to me was that after I listened to and got up to walk,,, I could not do it normally!!! I was bebopping, 3 stepping and strutting all at once.

real happy sound
Thanks I needed that
Peace
Bill

Sounds pretty damn good, chess. Nice balance on the bottom end.

Nit pick:

Needs less cymbals and more snare.

I like it a lot!!! Personally, I like the stereo panning of the vocals, but I've been told I'm wrong for that! I could use a little more snare drum, but all in all it sounds absolutely excellent!! Add it!

Hey, thanks so much, again, for the comments, guys.

Bluebear, thanks a lot for the comments; my ears were probably suffering from a little mixing fatigue, hence the exaggerated treble. After giving the ears a rest and listening again, I said to myself: "Damn, he's right." :D And the comment on the vocals is spot-on; his voice pushes some of the high mids to the point of sounding thin . . . but the more I messed with it, the more I realized how much the song's character relies on the honky vocals. :D

Dobro, actually, there's nothing going on in the background on the chorus other than some layered backup vocal.

(Mixmkr and others: ) Yea, I'm not overly thrilled with the bass guitar tone, either, but they kind of wanted it that way (complained that it didn't have enough "bottom" to it, but now I think there's probably too much. On some playback systems I tried, it actually sounds quite gnarly (particularly in a typical car stereo), but a little obnoxious on others (typical small and mid-sized speakers).

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back