Worked It Out

Mr Clean

AKA Teddy Wong
I'm still recording tracks with my friend for some kind of album although it's been going slowly lately for one reason or another.

This is a work in progress that I started a couple of days ago working around a demo track he recorded for me back in 2014. As of today, 1st July, this is all just scratch ideas and nothing is set. I basically just played a few things and cobbled together the tune to send him and see what he thinks so far before we get together again on Thursday.

Drums - This is the first time I've played drums for a recording. Electric kit via EZDrummer2. (I'm no drummer)
Guitars - More needed
Bass - Temporary
Vocals - Need replacing, scratch vocals
Organ - Just an idea. I'll probably embellish this a bit more.

I'm basically just building a template track to work around and as it's a 'work in progress', I thought I'd share the journey of the track. See how it ends up.

Original 2014 Demo
[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/WIODemo.mp3[/MP3]

MP3 LINK

1st July 2015
[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/WIO.mp3[/MP3]

MP3 LINK

July 10th (NEW MIX)
[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/WIO%28July10%29.mp3[/MP3]

MP3 LINK

Your thoughts, comments and abuse are most welcomed. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
It's cool hearing the development between the original demo and the latest one MrC. Melody now sounding much more developed. Cocky little sod :cool:

Having that e-kit rather than loops makes makes quite a big difference in terms of the dynamism of the track - drumming sounds really good man, especially as it seems you're new to it.

Still plenty of room in the arrangement for some nice guitar lead - I could hear some nice warm tubey tones in this :thumbs up:

I hate to say this, but I really think a combo of the two would work out really nice. Start it out like your demo (which I liked), use the arrangement in the second for the main part, then end (maybe, just a thought) like the demo.

I should have listened to the second first, as I really liked the demo version. A very cool tune!

Don't get mad, but the vocals were reminiscent of the Who on some of the Tommy cuts.

It's cool hearing the development between the original demo and the latest one MrC. Melody now sounding much more developed. Cocky little sod :cool:

Having that e-kit rather than loops makes makes quite a big difference in terms of the dynamism of the track - drumming sounds really good man, especially as it seems you're new to it.

Still plenty of room in the arrangement for some nice guitar lead - I could hear some nice warm tubey tones in this :thumbs up:

Cheers Rob. The drumming is coming on. I had a loaner E-Kit for a few months last year and bought myself one in April this year so I've not been playing long at all but it's something I enjoy. I know what i want to play, it's just a matter of getting the arms and feet where they should be. :laughings:

There will be more guitar on this eventually. I have a few parts that I've messed around with. Just trying to find that line between too little and too much.

Thanks again, appreciate you time and comments. :thumbs up:

I hate to say this, but I really think a combo of the two would work out really nice. Start it out like your demo (which I liked), use the arrangement in the second for the main part, then end (maybe, just a thought) like the demo.

I should have listened to the second first, as I really liked the demo version. A very cool tune!

Don't get mad, but the vocals were reminiscent of the Who on some of the Tommy cuts.

I know what you mean D Man. I was interested in keeping this as more of an acoustic tune, like the demo but Tim wanted it to be more upbeat and punchy. Sadly though, he doesn't have the skills to bring that to life so I get free rein to do as I please, within reason, to bring them to life. It's been the same with all his tracks I've been working on. "Just make it sound good" is the common phrase.

Tim's a child of the 50's and grew up with The Who and is a massive fan so it's not surprising the influence is in there. I'm sure he would see that as a massive compliment.

Cheers mate :thumbs up:

That's a great song. I think I agree with DM60 starting with an acoustic verse and then having the electrics + drums come in would add some variety and build the arrangement. The mix sounds good to me. I like the drumming, but I might bring the toms (floor tom?) up a bit - it's pretty important to the verse rhythm but it seems buried off to the side. The vocals are a bit up front in the mix, but I know you'll redo those anyway. Nice!

Coming along nicely. The toms need a boost or some adjustment to compression attack.
Organ needs to be cheesier or less cheesie.
Cool song, nice bit of aggression.

I really dig this track.

From a mix perspective, it's a WIP of course, but I like the rawness of this a lot, so as it progresses, I hope that you leave this up!

From a musical enjoyment/artistic perspective, keep going!

I actually wouldn't change much at all, if anything, man. More instruments can come in here and there, but in terms of the arrangement, structure, ideas, harmony and melody, I think it's there.

Cool.

Drums, vocal and lyrics are what's strong at this point. You just need some accoutrements. The organ sounds like it might do better as a backing instrument than as a solo at this point.

Nice tune.

Another vote to start with the acoustic, then bring in the 'rest of the band'. On the mix-in-progress, the kick is muffled and the bass needs some bite, it's muffled too.

That's a great song. I think I agree with DM60 starting with an acoustic verse and then having the electrics + drums come in would add some variety and build the arrangement. The mix sounds good to me. I like the drumming, but I might bring the toms (floor tom?) up a bit - it's pretty important to the verse rhythm but it seems buried off to the side. The vocals are a bit up front in the mix, but I know you'll redo those anyway. Nice!

Thanks for listening and commenting. I'll keep chiseling away at Tim to get the acoustic intro going, I thought it would be a good idea. I might just do it anyway and see how it turns out. Can't hurt.

Coming along nicely. The toms need a boost or some adjustment to compression attack.
Organ needs to be cheesier or less cheesie.
Cool song, nice bit of aggression.

Cheers Ray. The drums are just the standard kit in EZDrummer2 at present. I literally pushed the faders up so I will be tweaking them at some point. Pretty much everything else will be re-tracked. I know what you mean about the Organ.

:thumbs up:

I really dig this track.

From a mix perspective, it's a WIP of course, but I like the rawness of this a lot, so as it progresses, I hope that you leave this up!

From a musical enjoyment/artistic perspective, keep going!

I actually wouldn't change much at all, if anything, man. More instruments can come in here and there, but in terms of the arrangement, structure, ideas, harmony and melody, I think it's there.

Cool.

Thanks for the listen and the comments mate, much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm with you on the rawness, that's how I intend it to be when finished. A quick burst of grit and done.

Drums, vocal and lyrics are what's strong at this point. You just need some accoutrements. The organ sounds like it might do better as a backing instrument than as a solo at this point.

Nice tune.

Thanks Dobro. There will be more instrumentation here and there for the final piece. I have a few bits of guitar worked out for it already. Just haven't had time to get them down. RE: the organ solo, that's really just a filler, although I do quite like it. I think it'll end up and duel of guitar and organ for the solo part, maybe, we'll see.

Thanks again. :thumbs up:

Another vote to start with the acoustic, then bring in the 'rest of the band'. On the mix-in-progress, the kick is muffled and the bass needs some bite, it's muffled too.

Cheers mjb. As it's just a 'faders up' mix at the minute I'm not too concerned. The bass will be replaced and the kit tweaked for further reviews. Another vote for the acoustic intro though, cheers.

Man, I like the vocal. That is well done. Perfect mix of raw sound with well placed notes.

WARNING! OPINION ALERT!
I'll chime in and say the acoustic should carry the intro and possibly up to the line about finding the panties that aren't hers. "and it" Then kick it in the face with "won't". Maybe even a small space right there before the first "and it".

Man, I like the vocal. That is well done. Perfect mix of raw sound with well placed notes.

WARNING! OPINION ALERT!
I'll chime in and say the acoustic should carry the intro and possibly up to the line about finding the panties that aren't hers. "and it" Then kick it in the face with "won't". Maybe even a small space right there before the first "and it".

Cheers for the listen and the comments B_H

I'm going to have a go with the acoustic intro in the week when I get back to this track. I'll keep your idea in mind.

I thought the July 1 version suits the song better. If you go with something like that, I'd dial in a fuller guitar tone. Use more gain.

I'd be interested in the final verison.

Ha! I love your accent. That's great. There's no "British guy singing like an American" here; that's for sure! :) This is just a good, well-written pop song with good performances. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for sharing!

I thought the July 1 version suits the song better. If you go with something like that, I'd dial in a fuller guitar tone. Use more gain.

I'd be interested in the final verison.

Cheers Trip. I'll keep the thread updated as I go along with this. Will be getting back on this track tomorrow.

Ha! I love your accent. That's great. There's no "British guy singing like an American" here; that's for sure! :) This is just a good, well-written pop song with good performances. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers Beag. It's not me singing but I know exactly what you mean. My accent is slightly different.

Thanks for the listen and the comments. :thumbs up:

It's a great tune - love the British accent. Often times Brits will try and sing "American" so this is a pleasant departure.
I'd maybe take a db off the vocals but that's about it.

Cheers Ido. Yeah, sadly a lot of Brits try to sound more 'American' in sound and voice. I don't get it myself. My voice is very much British as is my friend Tim who is singing here.

I still have a bit to do with this track and it's not really mixed at all yet but I'm glad you liked it.

The vocals start a little tentative, but fall in place as it goes along. Maybe the vocals could drop a dB or two, and maybe could use just a little bit of ambiance.

Those EZD samples sound very familiar, is that the vintage kit? I like the way they all sound, except that riding tom has a little too much room on it. Weird that only that one stands out to me. Maybe the room mic is too strong? Maybe pan it more towards center? I dunno. I like the drum line a lot, good forward momentum through the song. I wouldn't dis your drum skills one bit.

Nice pop song that isn't pop, I really enjoyed this one. If this isn't mixed, as you say, then you're already 95% finished!

The vocals start a little tentative, but fall in place as it goes along. Maybe the vocals could drop a dB or two, and maybe could use just a little bit of ambiance.

Those EZD samples sound very familiar, is that the vintage kit? I like the way they all sound, except that riding tom has a little too much room on it. Weird that only that one stands out to me. Maybe the room mic is too strong? Maybe pan it more towards center? I dunno. I like the drum line a lot, good forward momentum through the song. I wouldn't dis your drum skills one bit.

Nice pop song that isn't pop, I really enjoyed this one. If this isn't mixed, as you say, then you're already 95% finished!

Thanks Tad. The drums are actually the Pop/Rock kit. The Tom is the one thing that annoyed me about the drums I just couldn't figured out why it sounded so bad, even with all the bleeds and everything turned off. I changed the kit to the Original Mix of the Pop/Rock kit and it sounded much better. The drumming is the one thing where I lack the confidence with it being a new instrument to me.

New mix will be up later. Thanks again. :thumbs up:

Back