Welcome to the Planet

Todzilla

Here's a rough mix of a song (or perhaps I should call it a "piece") I've been working on:

Before you flame the vocalist, be forewarned, there's quite a backstory there. Anyway, I find this most interesting for the unreal stream of consciousness lyrics.

I guarantee it's unlike anything you've heard before.

Nobody wants to comment? I understand the reluctance.

Backstory: This is my little sister free styling. She's 43 with Down Syndrome and under treatment for scizophrenia. She has absolutely no fear of a mic and just throws down her fascinating ideas that perplex the rest of us.

Some might claim that this is exploitation, but I counter that she absolutely loves it and at the same time, most folks find her wordplay to be bizarrely insightful, not a basis for pity or ridicule.

She's not going to displace Dre or Li'l Wayne, but she's got something to say.

This is damn good, Todd!
Your Sis has loads of character in her voice, it's great to see that someone in her state manages to shake it off and do her thing. And I'll bet it makes her happy too, so keep her at it. The song itself could use a highlight somewhere so it doesn't just drag on. But in all, pretty good work.

Joey :)

Not a bad little jam. I liked the "Janet, welcome to the Planet" I :laughings:ed. hahaha. Nice clav sound. Good thing she had fun. ;)

Thanks guys, for the open minded listen!

Joey, you're right it's a little long. I've yet to winnow it down. Squibbs, yeah, that's me on vocals doing my best middle-aged-white-guy-imitates-black-female-singers, an impossible task.

I'm thinking of putting out a full length CD of her. Of course, that'll be a challenge to direct her focus without losing her inspired vibe. If I do put together an album, I'll title it after a fascinating essay she wrote, called (I'm not making this up...) "The New Technique of Ways of Challenging Greater Than Great Changes."

Stay Tuned...

That is pretty interesting. Your sister gets some pretty cool lyrics in there.

The song does drag a little bit at times. As JoeyM said, it needs some highlights and variety.

Would it be tactless to compare this to Wesley Willis?

I heard a lot of lip smacks. I would guess some of that is mic technique, but I think a good pop-stopper and some editing afterwards could fix that.

That is pretty interesting. Your sister gets some pretty cool lyrics in there.

The song does drag a little bit at times. As JoeyM said, it needs some highlights and variety.

Would it be tactless to compare this to Wesley Willis?

I heard a lot of lip smacks. I would guess some of that is mic technique, but I think a good pop-stopper and some editing afterwards could fix that.

Thanks Steve. Heck no, my sister falls right into that category of fascinating yet differently abled artist, like Mr. Willis.

Yeah, I have cleanup to do, although some of the halting delivery is all her and editing just makes it weirder.

Funny you mention lip smacks. I put my Neumann U-89 about two in front and above her while she dropped the knowledge from an easy chair. She didn't even pay attention to the mic. And it even had the requisite pop screen. Girl can lip smack into the RED!

I liked the harmonies when they kicked. Sounded great and very well performed.

Your sister sounded great. Glad you wrote a bit about her. I'm glad she had a good time.

It's different for sure. Some good sounds in there. Your sister does a good job. Like others have said just needs a breakout in there somewhere

Cool. Very entertaining. Some nice ambient sounds going throughout. I liked it when she started off one section with "ssssssome animals..." Some interesting observations on her part and I definitely found myself wanting to hear what she had to say next. She also managed to reference you in there too...cool.

Nicely done.

Back