stir stir

MadHatterTCM

Eternally Striving

I posted this song a while back, as a scratch track of quickly programmed drums/acoustic/vocals.
I finally recorded it full band and would appreciate some crits.

Thanks.

How were the guitars tracked? It sounds like the mic was a bit too close. It's cool, but the clicking of the pick gets distracting when the rest of the instruments come in. Not too bad, but it's there.

I like the relatively dry vocals. I think they sit well in the mix.

There is a touch of low range mud coming from the bass. Just a touch. It's causing a bit of clipping distortion when everything kicks in.

Nice song, thanks for posting it. I didn't get a chance to hear the scratch track. I think you posted it when I couldn't download and listen to anything in here.

yeah. it was a little too close on the acoustic on overly fresh strings.
on other songs, i ended up retracking the acoustic.
for some reason i ended up liking it on this song.
I may retrack it again for the option and see what i really like..

thanks for the crits.

The thing that really impressed me on this is the arrangement, really well done. Vocals are top notch..good range. The bass may be a bit overcooked. I certainly enjoyed it..good work.

I posted this song a while back, as a scratch track of quickly programmed drums/acoustic/vocals.
I finally recorded it full band and would appreciate some crits.

Thanks.

I love your stuff, every time I hear your work, I just apprecuate it.
Lets see...
I love that you turned up the vocal so I can hear what you are saying. That's a good thing. Don't turn it down just because I said it was loud enough.... ;) The harmonies in the latter part of the song are awesome! That interval is way cool.
The sound of the guitars is very nice.... yep, all of them.... I do wish at times you had at least one brighter sounding lead guitar though, especially in the build up in the middle, or towards the end, whenever that happens.
In my opinion, the acoustic is by itself way way way too long in the intro... I would at the very least put a really reverb drenched guitar doing a very simple lead line behind it... almost like the sustaining string part you have that comes in later in the song. To me, it would be so awesome to build the tension up through that section, maybe even adding some percusion or something, and THEN have the band come in as sort of a climax before the climax.... a little pre-climax never hurt anybody... :D
Speaking of that string part... I think it needs a little treatment... maybe a stereo delay, or some more verb, or sumpin....

NICE work!

~Shawn

I love your stuff, every time I hear your work, I just apprecuate it.

Haha, you actually remember previous stuff i've posted? i haven't posted in a while, so I'd be impressed. :)

Speaking of that string part... I think it needs a little treatment... maybe a stereo delay, or some more verb, or sumpin....

I'm trying to figure out what string part you're referring to?
there's double picking at the end?

I can agree though, that on the first chorus (with just acoustic) maybe something light could be added.
cello-ish? or violin maybe?

also, in the bridge before vocals come in, there's a very subtle lead, maybe i could make that brighter and add some light strings to that as well?

Great song - impressive. I agree that the arrangement stands out. I'm listening with headphones and I can hear everything fine.

Love the lyrics and singing. Personally, I like the intro acoustic as it is, because I didn't think it went on too long unaccompanied. Not sure what the title of the song is, but "stir stir" is fantastic.

Holy smokes! The vocals are performed and captured flawlessly!

Not necessarily my thing syle-wise, but very catchy, polished and impressive, most impressive (said in Darth Vadar voice) :p.

Sounds fantastic imo. I agree that the acoustic intro fits nicely with the song, adds an extra "something" when the whole band eventually kicks in. Great stuff.

Sounds pretty good to me. Guitars and vox sound great. The bass could use a little better definition I think. The kick is invisible. Other than that, pretty good.

Back