Someone yelled "Whipping Post"....

queepy

aka Variaxman
...so we played it....been messing around with it in practice...kinda a tough one to play in a 3 piece...The original has alot of 2 guitar stuff as well as keyboards, 2 drummers etc...so here is our raw version...was gonna add some crickets chirping when the song was finished as there was not much response from the crowd... :rolleyes:

Whipping Post (Streaming)

Whipping Post (download)

Excellent man. Alot more raw than the Allman Brothers. I think it translates very well indeed. Is this from the same gig that you posted some stuff the other day? I Listened to some other stuff on your soundclick, really excellent stuff, i particulary like Toejam Soup and Tie your mother Down. Naks Vox on that are incredible.

Well done AxeDude!!!! That intro bass is spot on, and the guitar tone is killer.

Nice version. Still has some awesome sounds even if it's only 3 piece.

Most excellent man... :cool:

gummblefish - Excellent man. Alot more raw than the Allman Brothers. I think it translates very well indeed. Is this from the same gig that you posted some stuff the other day? I Listened to some other stuff on your soundclick, really excellent stuff, i particulary like Toejam Soup and Tie your mother Down. Naks Vox on that are incredible.

Thanks!Yup, same gig...was kinda a strange party.....was a beautiful house on a lake....we played outside...alot of families kids in the afternoon...more serious partying in the evening....we played around 60 songs over 5 sets...alot of ebb and flow in energy level :D ...thanks for the good word on my 'click stuff...yeah, that Nak is a awesome vocalist...he did a great job on that Queen tune!!

Dogman - Well done AxeDude!!!! That intro bass is spot on, and the guitar tone is killer.
Nice version. Still has some awesome sounds even if it's only 3 piece.
Most excellent man

Thanks Dawg!!Yeah, I cant say enough how happy I am with the Firebird!!the variax was cool and all for flexibility....but there is just something 'bout the real thing...Thanks alot...I appreciate the comments!!

Unbelievable job for a three piece! You guys rock! No response from the crowd? Screw 'em. :mad: Play what you like and do it well. They'll come around. :D

Good stuff, man. I'd go see ya. ;)

RickW said:
Unbelievable job for a three piece! You guys rock! No response from the crowd? Screw 'em. :mad: Play what you like and do it well. They'll come around. :D

Good stuff, man. I'd go see ya. ;)

Thanks dude!!Yeah we are kinda like that in that we play what we like and try to avoid the overplayed "classics" if we can and play deeper cuts...Thanks alot for the props!!!

Classic tune - nicely done - love that new guitar tone you got going......

Like I been tied......to the Whippin Post.........

:) :D :) :D

ido1957 said:
Classic tune - nicely done - love that new guitar tone you got going......

Like I been tied......to the Whippin Post.........

:) :D :) :D

Thanks man...glad you dug it!!!

Dude that guitar kicks!! This rocks, you guys played 60 songs :eek: :eek: Wow, that must have been a sweet concert by the lake and all.
That minireocrder thing does a great recording live man, I bet you recorded all 60 :cool:

SnakeDog5050 said:
Dude that guitar kicks!! This rocks, you guys played 60 songs :eek: :eek: Wow, that must have been a sweet concert by the lake and all.
That minireocrder thing does a great recording live man, I bet you recorded all 60 :cool:

Thanks...yeah, we love to jam, and it helps when you have a captive audience,no curfew, and free beer :D !!Yeah, I'm pretty lame...I record evreything :o ,it's pretty easy tho' when all you have to do is hit the button and let it run...
Thanks again, I appreciate it!!!

Rockin' dude, kick a$$. Can't believe noone cheered at the end. The solo alone is worth a cheer or two. The vox are worth cheering the band on. :)

Nice drummer there, too. :) Oh, nice and very present bass. :)

Well, there was the one dude that said yes or something. :)

Dang!

Dang!............. :eek: ;)

The playing is awesome and the recording is great! If I didn't know it was u, I'd think it was the Allman Brothers live! You're dead ringers for them. I mean that! :eek: ;)

Dude, again, I have no criticism to offer. Your tunes leave me practically speechless! :eek: :eek: ;)

bigbubba said:
Rockin' dude, kick a$$. Can't believe noone cheered at the end. The solo alone is worth a cheer or two. The vox are worth cheering the band on. :)

Nice drummer there, too. :) Oh, nice and very present bass. :)

Well, there was the one dude that said yes or something. :)

Thanks man...yeah it was a blast to play that one...a bit tricky in a 3 piece as there are 2 guitars doing diffrent things in the original...but we tried to kinda "muscle" our way thru it :rolleyes: ....I appreciate the good word...thanks again!!

A Reel Person said:
Dang!............. :eek: ;)

The playing is awesome and the recording is great! If I didn't know it was u, I'd think it was the Allman Brothers live! You're dead ringers for them. I mean that! :eek: ;)

Dude, again, I have no criticism to offer. Your tunes leave me practically speechless! :eek: :eek: ;)

Thanks brutha...I feel like a kindered musical spirit with you and our love for the classics :) ...

Without being too nosy...how did you record this? Pretty balanced considering it was live. Was it taken off a board feed? I'd like to get my band recorded at a gig, but I don't want to pay outrageous fees for something that'll just be for posterity. Whatever you used sounded pretty damn good!

RickW said:
Without being too nosy...how did you record this? Pretty balanced considering it was live. Was it taken off a board feed? I'd like to get my band recorded at a gig, but I don't want to pay outrageous fees for something that'll just be for posterity. Whatever you used sounded pretty damn good!

No problem...I'm really happy with this setup...a real hassle free way of recording gigs/rehearsals...I bought this actually for recording concerts by bands that allow taping...Its a Sony Mini Disk walkman recorder.I just used the little stereo mic that came with it....once I get the recording level set...I can just hit the record button and let it go....the mini disk holds something like 6 hours I think using the compression settings I am.
Here is a link if you would like more info on it:
Sony Mini Disk Walkman Recorder

That's pretty cool! Where was the unit placed during the recording? Did you have to worry about crowd noise?

I purchased a extension cord for the mic....so the mic was about 14 feet, dead center out in front of us...attached to a deck joist...we were playing under a large deck, the house was pretty huge and had a walkout basement onto a patio which is were we setup.The mic seems to be pretty directional...unfortunately, on a lot of the songs, we didn't have to worry to much about crowd noise :p ...most of the people were scattered out on the property or down by the lake until later in the evening....

Hi-MD, eh?

That's cool! Did you record these in ATRAC or in 16/44.1??

Anyway,... it sounds great. These recordings are a fine endorsement for this product. ;)

A Reel Person said:
Anyway,... it sounds great. These recordings are a fine endorsement for this product. ;)
Cha-ching! $$$$$$

You ought to send them a sample and then ask for advertising fees! :D

Back