Some very nice collaborative elements added

rayc

retroreprobate
Hi Folks,
Kennedy Avalon has, so far, been the combined work of of Terry B, Faderbug & myself. There is hope of it being propelled by human hands as well. Tonight I've added someone else's contribution in the form of a guitar solo. The donor is, as yet, anonymous - at least until I have the solo synched right:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6730964&q=hi

Jangleything has been similarly graced:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6700079&q=hi

Any comments on the levels etc of the solos in relation to the tracks - also any other comments welcomed.
Thanks

The vocals are buried a bit on Kennedy... is that on purpose? Other than that, it sounds good...

Rokket,
I haven't finsihed with the vocals on Kennedy - they'll need some major tweaking when the drums pound there way into the concoction.
I do like buried vox though I must admit.
Any comment on the solo in that one?
Glad you like jangleything - the solo is bloody marvellous I reckon - & I think it's synched right too!

The solo in Kennedy is perfect for the piece. I think if you put anything too noodling on there, it would ruin the moment. Nice feel and the perfect notes for the song.

Kennedy is gonna be great with some real drums. The vox are too buried for me, but if you like it that way, rock on! :D

Jangly sounds good too. Nice thick texture of sounds.

Kennedy....sounding good, but the vox are a bit hard to make out. They seem to clash a bit with the guitars....lots of sounds in that range. Song is progressing nicely though....

Jangley.....Great sounds right from the start..nice progression. I really like this one...great sounds. I don't think the solo is too loud....it rides a bit on top, but with the other sounds it seems pretty natural this way.

Rokket,
yeah, I agree. Succinct & on the spot. Ta.
GregL,
I'll work on the vox this weekend. Apart from that it seems to be coming together pretty well. Thankss for the positives.
Dogman,
Yeah, what's good for guitars is bad for vox. & the vox cut the bass enormously too - the bass, without the vox, has a nice proggy growl but once the vox are in the mix it is eaten up - even in the chorus with the extra bass line & fuzz! The solo in jangle is pretty sweet. There's nothing across the whole mix at present - no reverb etc - and the vox haven't happened yet. It'll probably sit better in comparison to vox. Thanks for the kind words.
I think I've adjusted the synch on the Kennedy solo correctly this time.
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6730964&q=hi

Last edited:
Kennedy seems to be coming along very well. It's different and cool. I look forward to the finished product.

I agree with some others, the vox on Kennedy is buried too far for my taste but most singers don't mix themselves well...ha-ha!!! always too low in the mix. What? Do you not like your voice? I thought it was pretty darn good.
The mix seems a litlle "muttled" to me but all in all, it's likeable.

The second tune has a little more space in the mix...better in my opinion. I love to leave room for the listener to envision his own thing. It has a bit of an oriental feel to it.

Good work.

I like the way you arrange your songs and Kennedy Avalon is sounding great. The sound and layering of the guitars on your songs is alway good and interesting. The vocal could use a bit more gain and the guitars on the chorus need a bit of panning as they seem to be coming in on top of the vocals-spread them out a bit and it may solve the problem.

Briski,
I dig that you dig jangly - thanks mate.

Riffmaster,
Thanks, Some EXCELLENT drumming is coming soon.
BuzzHaze,
I don't sing - EVER! It'd be unfair to the world. My collaborator, Terry, supplies vox. melody & lyrics. By muttled do you mean muddled or muddy? jangly should be muddied because of the noisiey preamps and my array of cheap gear ( mandolin & banjo recorded with a $10 clip on contact mic)Thanks for the kind words.
Anfontan,
Good idea re the chorus. I was wondering what to do. I had reduced their levels but that lessened the surge so have been in search of another idea. Ta Muchly!
true-eurt,
Soundclick seems to need some 1:1 therapy as it has lots of issues lately. Probably too popular for their servers. Try l'technique' spankee?

Had Jangley running through my head today as I did my yard work while on holidays... Real catchy tune Ray - as are all of yours and Terry's material. Enjoyed playing the solos for these, looking forward to the next phase with real drums! :cool::D:cool::D

true-eurt,
Soundclick seems to need some 1:1 therapy as it has lots of issues lately. Probably too popular for their servers. Try l'technique' spankee?
:D...I paddled the links all the way home and now have them in the SHED...I intend to check out the bottom end of these tunes very soon...:D

I'm home most of the day today, so listening to a few tunes in the mp3 clinic, is amongst my Thursday pleasures of NOT working any kind of manual labor for someone smarter than me...

I already liked the original versions, Ray...
and you keep improving them. Now I'll wait for the real drummer!:D
Cheers
Joe

Back