"Run For Your Life"- New Song

SLuiCe

Alright, I wrote and recorded this in about 45 minutes because I had nothing better to do with my time.

No that's bullshit. :rolleyes: This is probably my most challenging recording yet. It's been haunting and taunting me off and on for about a week and a half now, and I wanted to put it up for critique and help before the work week starts. It's a bit of a demon.
There are a rather large number of active tracks, so I'm particularly interested in where you hear it getting muddy (specific time frames if possible, and from the more technical of you perhaps even specific frequency ranges).
Also, please feel free to comment even if you THINK your opinion doesn't matter. It does. Greatly.

As always, I appreciate your time...

"Run For Your Life"
www.nowhereradio.com/sluice/singles
Not sure how well this one will stream from NWR right now...but it looks like Waldo's working hard on it....

Thanks so much

- Tom

SluiCe,

Lots o' tracks, yes. Drama, yes.
great arrangment and mean ride, ohh yes:)

I thought the reinforcement gits on the cold stops were a bit harsh and sounded too up the middle. When the mix does get going with alot of tracks, it sound like the middle in gerneral is getting to crowded.

The vocals sit decently but, I thought they could come up some. I dug on the two voice question/answer thing. Nice writing:)

Drums could be a little more present and powerful but, thats JMHO.

Hope you get some more specific technical advice as to space and frequency.

Wonderfully written tune dude!

Oh yeah, you got it going on!!
Peace,

Theron.

Howdy-Excellent song-I've listened to 3-4 of your songs and they're always great-I like that single note guitar riff-reminds me of king crimson-real cool change at 1:15-kind of twisted-I guess thats the chorus---Nice drum tracks they're electric?sound really good-the accenting is excellent-had a problem hearing the vox at 4:45-probably intentional on your part-but I couldnt tell what the words were at all-Nice vocal performance-definetely not lacking in the emotion department-this is a dense and dark masterpiece-definetely a show-stopper-
hmm as far as the mix I thought the disrted guitar tone could have been a little smoother sounding-it had that sm57 honk to it-it seemed to be eating up alot of space. Other folks can give better advice-I was listening for pleasure for the most part. Sounds like you put alot of work into this-you have good reason to be proud of your work.Very well done!

Strat

p.s. great guitar playing

Axe4Yahweh- Sorry man, out of my hands...maybe talk to ya in a day or two! Thanks for trying.

theron- You know, I was about to start the upload, then went back and boosted the drums a couple notches because I thought the same thing. Maybe it wasn't quite enough. Also, I'll take a look at my panning layouts...you're probably right. Thanks bro.

Stratomaster- ya, SM57Beta in fact. I definitely need better mics for my guitars AND vox. Oh and the words you're referring to I think are "It's alright, you'll live." I kept them down, because I didn't want the melody to be too distracting...but perhaps with better panning I can find a balance. And the drums are in fact canned with some tweeking...and programmed note for note. Long process I assure you :( Thanks for the encouragement!

I love the warmth that you achieved on your recording.

It sounds very rich.

You have a nice voice , and its a really nice song.

You definitely have a unique singing/writing style. It's obviously up to taste whether you like it or not, but you can't deny that it's fairly original. (at least, as original as music can be, since everything's already been done... :p)

I think the mix was good, although I prolly agree that the vocals coulda been up a little more at certain points... I liked those "rough" guitars that come in at the breaks.. (like at 1:14) The ride cymbal sound grated on me, but I realize that's just the sample you had for it. (it was just a little too "unnatural"). I can't decide if I like your use of china boys or not.. :) it's definitely "different"... it might be a little too "much" for my taste.. but then again, it prolly fits this style just right. I like the whiny guitars that come in at 3:47. The first one or two executions could be tightened up. (maybe just paste the third one over both of em.. but that's a very minor aspect. ) It's a pretty nifty additive (including the part where a second guitar starts harmonizing it). I also dug the guitar "chunka"s at 5:38 and 5:42. :D but that's cause I love "chunka"s so much. :p

WATYF

Wow,this is some deep shit.There's so much going on that I didnt find anything jumping out saying 'fix me'.The music kept me interested all the way through.

Is this all you?Did you play all the parts and program the drums too?If so,I need to sell my shit now and start playing video games or something.......maybe take up knitting or collecting driftwood.

2 thumbs up dude.

CyanJaguar- Thanks for the positive feedback

WATYF- Thanks for pointing out the cymbals. I'm still learning to write for drums. Never had to til I started doing this stuff this winter. Pretty fun though. And I think it's my cymbal choices that really need work, so your comments have a particular resonance here...
And ya, I miss them ol' chunka's! It was nice to do a tune with 'em. hehe I should borrow Sam's gear to record the heavy gits!

Kramer- You can have my copy of Rogue Spear. Don't sell your shit!

lets see..do you listen to tool??....this song rocks!!!!...there isnt anything i could say to make this any better...i will say this ive listened to it twice all the way thru.thats what 14 minutes worth ..thats gotta say something right??...i dont usually make it all the way thru MY stuff....

humbly
jamal

I thought the bass was about twice as loud as it should be, and seemed to really be overpowering just about everything else. That was really a supprise to me, coming from you. Maybe I stepped on my Maxx bass pedal:eek:

vocals seem low in volume too. I'd like to hear the bass knocked down a couple notches or two before I really get into something more in depth. Am I the only one hearing this?? Must be my speakers!!!

I finally got the thing to go, Bro and this tune is one wild ride!

I have to go with Kramers post. There is so much going on in this song that it's hard to pick it apart. I couldn't tell that there was all those tracks on it cause most of it is stuffed in the middle and the strange thing is it works.

A really good recording overall IMHO. Vocals kick butt. Guitar work is decent. Everything fits.

BHS;

CR

I don't think I have the experience of the others, but I think the mix is excellent. If you had a lot of tracks there, I can't tell where there's any overshadowing going on. My youngest daughter just came in and said she really likes this song. She picked Incubus as a great band before anyone ever heard of them. My bet is you got a winner here. Could you tell me what you used for your drums?

Tom...awesome. From the standpoint of content and performance, just absolutely awesome. The line (and I hope I got this accurately) "...use your razor tongue to cut off all their ears..." just floored me.
My only beef is that I want the lead vocal up in the mix, I want to hear every word. Fantastic singing, I really dig your voice.
Impressive to say the least. I'll leave the technical mix comments to others who are much more qualified.
Blew me away, buddy.

Mark

holy rock and roll bat man!!!!!!!!!

dude, im totally blown away!!! yeah i hear tool in this too.
im not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!

vox level sounded fine in my cans, and low on crap pc speakers. so im no help there.

this one's goin on the playlist!!!!!

peace

rick:p

I would really like to here this and others (your songs) at a higher quality (like CD), instead of mp3 compressed over the net.
to see a fuller? dynamic...

SLuiCe said:

Kramer- You can have my copy of Rogue Spear. Don't sell your shit!

Yeah,a shoot-em-up game is what I need.:D I think they actually made a version of Rogue for my Dreamcast(I play too many video games,thats why I need to sell my shit:eek: ).....I guess you have the pc version?

Hey Man.........
Very cool stuff. I get a "Tool" vibe off of this that is very cool.
The guit. playing is great. I would agree about the lead vocs needing a little boost, except in the areas around the pre-chorus/chorus sections 1:27-1:40, etc. It seems a touch harsh there... Maybe an EQ issue to "soften" the vocs there....... im not sure though. Did i mention that the guitars are great.....let me say that again ........THE GUITARS ARE GREAT! As far as the mud that you were asking about...... I dont hear it man. Sounds like a pretty damn great recording. All of the parts are clean and tight. Great playing. Great writing....... Very very cool!! Impressive shit!:D G

Geez.........! What can I say about that? You've got everything where you can hear it.....the sound is so full but there are still occassional spaces.....makes me want to throw rocks at my stuff.

The only things I'd change are....mkg is right about the voices. they should all come up. And I don't like the snare sound too much. kinda sounds too canned.

This is a really great piece of work man....I'm speechless.

Back