plleeeaaaase give some constructive .....

DeeExpus

and for my NEXT mix ... !
First of all, forgive me, Ive already posted this, but it seems to have dissappeared into the quagmire somewhere along the line. Anyroad, no one wanted to sit through it, it would appear (and I dont blame you, its a bit lengthy) and i didnt get any feedback.

This track has taken up 3 months of my life and Im at my wits end, I must have mixed it 30 times. My ears have disintergrated and my Arse is very very numb (er ..through sitting on it ...). My fingers are worn out and my eyballs have popped out. My Brain is no more.

Thanks in hopeless anticipation.

Andy

a link would help ....

cool. has an 80's vibe.

i thought the metronome was a little annoying. i was creating a rhythm in my head that built. you could probably make the metronome do what it does now, but make it sound like it morphs into a cool little rhythm via EQ automation and sampling/editing.

oh man. when the drums and everything come in...so clean. drums are awesome (i don't deal with drums, so someone else might say differently).

the guitar tone is nice.

the lead vocal is great. there may be a slight brightness in it. not in the high highs 1.2kish range.

but whatever. sounds pretty pro to me.

Definately get rid of the metronome. It is not needed and distacts from the very cool beginning. What are you using for the drums? On my pc speakers (which are quite good, Klipsch) the hi hats when closed are to loud in the soft passages in the beginning (first 5 minutes). But during jam section (middle) and after they sit fine. This is a really good tune. And for being 12 minutes keeps my interest. The hats may be just me, but the stick thing in the beginning and toward the end has to go. This is definately one of the best tunes Ive heard on here. What equipment are you using?

Off the cuff, my first impression is that the rhythm guitar had some delay, the vocals had a bit of reverb but the drums sounded completely dry. To me, it leaves the impression that the drums were recorded in an entirely different space than the other tracks, which can contribute to the impression that the recording lacks a certain amount of cohesion and consistency.

I'm a bit short on time right now, so I'll have to revisit this a bit later.

Hello

liked the track i Mastered it for you.

i will post it back up for you soon, my upload is having Technical and emotional difficulties at the moment.

i held back frequencies you don't want ( i read your mind in your sleep) and let the natural golden order of the song shine through.

RMS is -13.654 average.

that's a little hot for me but i thought you would be able to hear the aspects of your mix you have spent so long on.

there were minimal dynamic issues and you will see that beautiful roll off on the edge of the wave, which tells you that more than a maximiser was implicated.

i done a lot of small things that added up to a fair amount i could have pulled some frequencies more but it's late here and i have an appointment with the hermetic order of the golden dawn, tomorrow.

That’s a distortion of the truth.

Sounds good.

When I have a good listen I’ll give you some more constructive and environmentally friendly criticism.

on Re-listen

is this song Christian Rock?

Because as per my meeting requirements tomorrow I’m not meant to be listening to any Christian music for at least 24 hours before hand.......you know it's like when you can't eat before major surgery.

?

how embarrassed will i be humming the tunes of some catchy Christian rock vibe at a Pagan Golden dawn order meeting in honour of the 33 Masonic Tribes.

Who’s got egg on their FACE in that case!
:rolleyes:

I'm not surprised it took you 3 months...it's a 12 minute opus!

Shades of the opening track on Dark Side of the Moon in your intro.

Sounds well mixed...although I only made it to the 6 minute mark. Does sound 80's like the other guy said.

is this song Christian Rock?

Because as per my meeting requirements tomorrow I’m not meant to be listening to any Christian music for at least 24 hours before hand.......you know it's like when you can't eat before major surgery.

?

how embarrassed will i be humming the tunes of some catchy Christian rock vibe at a Pagan Golden dawn order meeting in honour of the 33 Masonic Tribes.

Who’s got egg on their FACE in that case!
:rolleyes:

?????????????????????????? Got Petra ?????????????????????????????
??????????????????????? Got White Cross ????????????????????

Nice job programming the drums!!

You are all very very talented musicians. Wow.

There's nothing wrong with this mix - perhaps a little verb on the drums could gel everything a bit.

Ok

you may well hate me after this Comment but remember this, go back and read this in two months.

I have been commanded by Stacey the Pagan goddess of digitalindustry to tell you this.

I ultimately always obey:

I could make this into a very very good 4min? song so here’s how it goes (uh oh):

1. the intro , you could have maybe 10 seconds of the Pad no tick no synth it would all go in fact the intro would have to be about 20sec.

Leave out the talking it's all cut.

That guitar intro gone.

2. Ok so the beat and the guitar track has come in. (1.58) leave the 1 second guitar lead-in there. The bar, you know?

so we are talking about 1.40 mins just gone ok except for maybe 20sec intro.
in your DAW make another folder call it (alternate) do it all here:

3. ok the first part of part A verse.......(the mixing desks comments etc) gone..

The lead at 2:42 stays post that verse

Now you need to make the part B (2.45) verse the actual first word of the song. so move it to the first - part.

so we are looking at intro the PAD (20sec?) then that Guitar drums (with the little cut-in) then B 2.45 (the me and the guys scene)

then the Break the (lead at 2.45.) (Shorten it and then to the verse about (sunlight nowhere to be seen)

Then to your first Chorus:

So Verse A (me and the guys)
Break lead
B (sunlight)

Chorus (you need to get to this part as soon as possible)

(nice I’m liking what happens now)<my comments:

so now you need a little verse part for the link: (i would make something up) half the size of the original verse then back to the : (possibly search the later part of the song)

2nd Chorus (so emotional etc )

now that break post chorus is great believe it or not this is how it ends you know how the song breaks from the guitar to that clean string arrangement i would start to fade in some vocals at that point and make a vocal ending out of it.

now i know you are thinking (what about my HOT shredding RIFF!)
maybe work it in ?? back at the second break but.......i wouldn't

ok and after that 80's Keyboard that I would personally not have there, I’m being instructed that the cd has recognized another song but an error has occurred and you don't know about it(the song changing that is).

Dude the slow parts at 9 min actually anything after that clean string arrange is another song.

It’s your second track so don't despair you now have two tracks with minimal work.

Work some riffs into that second track.

Justify it to yourself by calling it a (radio edit).

cool. has an 80's vibe.

i thought the metronome was a little annoying. i was creating a rhythm in my head that built. you could probably make the metronome do what it does now, but make it sound like it morphs into a cool little rhythm via EQ automation and sampling/editing.

oh man. when the drums and everything come in...so clean. drums are awesome (i don't deal with drums, so someone else might say differently).

the guitar tone is nice.

the lead vocal is great. there may be a slight brightness in it. not in the high highs 1.2kish range.

but whatever. sounds pretty pro to me.

Thanks for taking the time Cello. The Metronome is actually a clock tik and represents a long wait, Ill explain in my response to theblackBay.

The Drums come courtesy of a cracking little Plug in called Addictive Drums. Its a bastard to get used to. This is my third track using it and the results do seem to be improving, the more time I spend with it. Really pleased you liked it.

The guitar(s) are also new toys. Im using Line6 POD xt pro, along with my Trusty PRS and a Variax 700.

Ill have a closer look at the vocal, thanks again.

Definately get rid of the metronome. It is not needed and distacts from the very cool beginning. What are you using for the drums? On my pc speakers (which are quite good, Klipsch) the hi hats when closed are to loud in the soft passages in the beginning (first 5 minutes). But during jam section (middle) and after they sit fine. This is a really good tune. And for being 12 minutes keeps my interest. The hats may be just me, but the stick thing in the beginning and toward the end has to go. This is definately one of the best tunes Ive heard on here. What equipment are you using?

Wow. Thanks for that. Judging by what Ive heard here, thats a compliment indeed. Im with you on the HiHat thing, and have spent considerable time with the kit. I like to hear the hihat part and they are up a touch for that reason. Be curious to know what others think about this. Gearwise Im using a G5 Power Mac running Logic 7 with a Motu 24 i/o into a soundtracs LIVE 32 4 2 (i know!) Monotoring using Alesis M1 Actives. Thanks again.

Off the cuff, my first impression is that the rhythm guitar had some delay, the vocals had a bit of reverb but the drums sounded completely dry. To me, it leaves the impression that the drums were recorded in an entirely different space than the other tracks, which can contribute to the impression that the recording lacks a certain amount of cohesion and consistency.

I'm a bit short on time right now, so I'll have to revisit this a bit later.

Guitar Delay is only at the start of the track, goes once the kit comes in. The Kit is definately not dry, I was thinking there was too much kit rev if anything. hmmm. I do hate drenching stuff in reverb tho, but yeah, the Kit WAS recorded in a different country! Cheers m8! :)

I'm not surprised it took you 3 months...it's a 12 minute opus!

Shades of the opening track on Dark Side of the Moon in your intro.

Sounds well mixed...although I only made it to the 6 minute mark. Does sound 80's like the other guy said.

lol, well done for the 6 minutes m8, you made it further than most! Can you believe ive never heard the Floyd* track. Stuck it on now though ..... hey ur right!

The Bloody 80's thing is haunting me. I dont want to sound like the 80's at all, i just dont seem to be able to help it. damn, damn, DAMN! ;)

* ...... oh, of course Ive heard it .....

Nice job programming the drums!!

You are all very very talented musicians. Wow.

There's nothing wrong with this mix - perhaps a little verb on the drums could gel everything a bit.

Thanks Supercreep. I cant take FULL credit for the drum program, Addictive ships with some preprogrammed "Midi" files which can be dragged into Logic. Yes there have been extensive edits, but the basic groves aint mine unfortunately.

I have never been described as a "very very talented musicians". Apart from the Synth solo and the Lead Vox, everything else is just little old me.

Seems this kit verb needs looking at .....

Mr Blackbay, I shall be back to you later on when I have a bit more time (currently at work, in theory!). Very much appreciate the feedback, and suggestions and the time you have spent here. Looking forward to hearing ur Master.

oh and you wont find any Christain Rock here! hehe.

I must address the reason this song is 12 minutes and the sentiment behind it.

Catch you all later, and thanks again to all.

Andy

Guitar Delay is only at the start of the track, goes once the kit comes in. The Kit is definately not dry, I was thinking there was too much kit rev if anything. hmmm. I do hate drenching stuff in reverb tho, but yeah, the Kit WAS recorded in a different country! Cheers m8! :)

While you may have applied reverb to the kit(I use Addictive Drums and EZ myself), on my monitors the contrast between the reverb on the other instruments (eg. lead guitar, vocals, etc.) and the percussion gives the impression that the drums are much dryer/more upfront in the mix, in my opinion. To each their own of course. If you're satisfied with the sound, I say go for it.

Master.

http://www.theblackbay.com/testwma.php

there is the master version:

I'm sure you have lots of reason to keep it 12min but i'm saying consolidate the impactual moments and focus on them, then split the the track and make maybe another track.

then you have a story something to follow on.

just my opinion but as you write future pieces you will see.

be ruthless and make it lean, then you leave room for an Album version and a "radio" edit after all don't you want people to hear it?

there is nothing wrong with cutting for listening value.

i'll be honest the Chorus is the feature here, actually the Chorus and the string arrangment at the break, i'd get to the chorus and put the strings at the back for a winning finish. so people can look forward to it.

have fun.

The "unmastered" version is much better.

More of these pics may change my mind though.
GDssp.jpg

Wow

i just never get use to that..

--yeah i could have pulled it less but then again there's vodka and drink a life to waste.

there were little dynamic issues as the instruments are compressed. i pulled frequencies. and use a method that i developed which can give clarity and definition without harshness....

Total compression was minimal in other words you are not hearing my compression really as such and by means.

Last edited:
Back