Opinions and tips for my premaster

pod4477

hey guys i was wondering if people could give me any tips or thoughts about my premaster. Only up to the chorus has drums and therefor that is the only part i really mixed. The song is "How It Feels (premaster)" on my mysapce which is located at http://www.myspace.com/markpmusic. Thanks guys for all your help.

hey sorry guys about the whole stupid myspace thing. I'm going to upload the song because it just sounds horrible and inaccurate to judge when its streamed.

the vox are too low in the mix for me and sound really compressed which may be why the seem so far back.

good tune otherwise!

ya it may be the compression but after adding compression it made them stand closer so idk maybe its the eq. also in the verse i used a wierd effect. So thats prolly why. which vocals are u tlakin about?

Last edited:
Pretty loud. Pretty full on.
The bass REALLY lacks definition.
I've no knowledge of nu/rapmetal so can't comment in genre context.
The vocal level is fine. The b/vox are VERY cliched.
Have you run this through a bank of limiters & compressors?
There's very little dynamic range - it has a Spinal Tap sense of internal volume balance.
Pretty flash playing.

(note: I'm listening thrue dollar store headphones)

the snare seems a bit loud (not by much)
the bass dosn't seem to have much character to it (lacks definition as mentioned before)
and the guitar at 0:38 ish (the parts where the chords starts) lacks alot of balls
it seams kinda weak compared to the rest
no comments on the vocals. it's much better than i could do.

hope this was helpful

ya the bass has always been my problem. maybe its also because its as an mp3 but that wouldnt matter right? I'm sorta just tryin different EQ's with the bass. I should have listened through a sub first before i mixed this because i know the level im looking for and listening to it now on my sub the bass sounds shitty.

"The b/vox are VERY cliched" whats that mean?

Have you run this through a bank of limiters & compressors?
There's very little dynamic range - it has a Spinal Tap sense of internal volume balance.
Pretty flash playing.

haha i dont understand any of that sorry. If you mean the vox through compressors ya i did a bit. The mixdown itself went through no compressors though. And whats pretty flash playing mean?

And for Nick_Black ya the guitars im getting to be more and more unhappy with. They def. need mroe balls. But why just at the chorus? The EQ and volumes are exactly the same as the intro? Maybe just cuz it builds up. THe sanre has always been too loud for some reason so ur right i should lower it just a bit.

Thank you for all your help. How do the drums sound?? Only a drum machine so i try to get it to sound as good as possible.

How did you record the guitars? I think you need to dial down the gain, they sound a little too fuzzy.

Also, they are a little too up front. Dial them down about 1-2dB, and that should balance the mix a bit more.

Ditto comment on the bass. Is it DI into the board or through a DI box?

Careful tracking up front will save loads of time mixing...

until i read the comments, i didn't even know there *was* guitar at 0:38. try lowering everything's volume right after the intro

the bass drum seems too loud, yet muddy and lacks attack. too much "click" maybe

unlike everyone else, the vox seem too loud/raw to me. maybe it's the compression. especially the scream/growl in the chorus seems too distorted and too loud. rerecord that, tell the screamer to last longer on his screams, they dont end, they just kind of fade away. try adding more reverb maybe

you've got the skeleton of a good song. good luck

with the guitar thing i ment earlyer, i think it might be an EQ problem and a bit to much fuzz, try going for a bit less clipping, also (I'm guessing) that when the guitars are doing the lead guitar thing it sounds fine becouse the high levels of the eq are pushed up and when it switched to the chorous you should push up the mid range a bit... thats just a guess though, I'm quite new to recording. mostly I've just been the one to be recorded.

hope it helps

haha i did all the music and vocals. Thanx for your help guys. ill post an updated version soon. i didnt realize how much it sucked till i listened to it more. I like the durms though which has been my biggest problem.

guitars are coming along better. i still think the kick drum sound is either too loud or just doesn't fit the genre well

Back