Opinions and tips for my premaster

You DI'd the guitars? That explains the tone... :rolleyes:

Is it possible to retrack them by mic'ing an amp? You'd bet better results.

Roll off a bit of the eq (below 250hz) on the kickdrum and it should sit better and not be as loud.

thanx, im going for a very heart pounding kick drum. This really isnt too heart pounding but better than it used to be. Kinda goin for a chevelle, disturbed type of sound.

As for the guitars ya i can mic my amp although i wish i had a better amp, i got a crate, its alright but lacks. What does roll off mean when you say rollof below 250hz? and do you mean e verything below 250hz or exactly 250hz?

pod4477 said:
thanx, im going for a very heart pounding kick drum. This really isnt too heart pounding but better than it used to be. Kinda goin for a chevelle, disturbed type of sound.

As for the guitars ya i can mic my amp although i wish i had a better amp, i got a crate, its alright but lacks. What does roll off mean when you say rollof below 250hz? and do you mean e verything below 250hz or exactly 250hz?
Most of your kick drums and bass share that frequency. Roll off means to lower the decibel level of that freq to make it less pronounced in the mix.
Try 250 and if it doesn't improve, reset it back to 0dB, and try lower.

Thanx for your help guys. Hows the bass in the revised mix? I think it sounds like it has alot more definition.

pod4477,
this is a whole lot better. still psuhing 11 but much better.
Well done.

rayc said:
Pretty loud. Pretty full on.
The bass REALLY lacks definition.
I've no knowledge of nu/rapmetal so can't comment in genre context.
The vocal level is fine. The b/vox are VERY cliched.
Have you run this through a bank of limiters & compressors?
There's very little dynamic range - it has a Spinal Tap sense of internal volume balance.
Pretty flash playing.

what did you mean about the spinal tap sense of volume balance? jw

Also guys you were all 100% correct about my kick. After listening to it on different systems i realized its either too loud or not eqed right.

Any tips on how to make it not so loud and/or pronounced in the mix but still having it thump in a subwoofer? Im goin for like a disturbed - stricken type of feel.

Spinal Taps sense of internal balance is "..everything louder than everything else."
Pushing 11 - "...but this goes to 11. that's 1 more..."

i would track another guitar or two, you need those guitars to sound huge to sound like a modern nu-metal mix and this just isnt cutting it. also, when the distorted guitar first cuts out i dont like hot it cuts out. maybe you could let that last pinch harmonic bleed over into the clean section or something.

you could also try micing your amp clean if its distortion doesnt sound good and then send the clean signal in to be distorted and such in the box.

you could try a room reverb on the whole set, i wouldent put reverb on only the kick.

ya homes i made a sick mix now. I like how it cuts out. it would sound wierd if it didnt maybe. Good points tho it def. need maybe another track. Reverb on the kick def. made it sound better. ill post a link soon.

Last edited:
It sounds a lot better then the myspace version. I'm still not hearing much definition in the bass. You need some more high-mids.

Thanx, i think it does too. i also chopped off some of the lows in mastering which kinda messed it up a bit in the low end department.

well it means the mixdown before you master it. A pre version to mastering. But the last file i uploaded is a master i did of the premaster.

Back