Online Collab - Kevin, Monkey & True

Monkey Allen

Fork and spoon operator
This tune started over in the songwriting forum, where Kevin Allen had the chords and words for a first verse:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=242690

Anyway, Kevin, myself and True eurt wrote the words. True wrote the chorus.

Kevin plays bass and supurb country style lead guitar. I'm doing the rhythm guitar and vocals.

It's been great fun to see this song from the start to the finish...so have a listen, hope you like it and let us know what you think.

The song is called "Lonely"...should be the first song on this soundclick link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=355705

Country's not my thing but you guys did a good job on this. Nice easy listen.Good to see true back in action again, but wtf is up with her audio situation?

:DGood classic country - type tune guys and gal....very cool.

Might have a tad much reverb on the vocal mix (and I'm a reverb junkie) ;) reverb sounds good on the instruments though.

Almost a dylanesque type vocal Mr Allen, nice high smooth range to it.

Lead guitar is nice and snappy and fits in well. Bass is laid back as it should be for this tune.

True, I'd love if you could add some bluesy phrases to the background. Make thi sinto more of a duet....It's good as it stands now so that's just a suggestion.., cause I love your vocals.

ido1957,
i agree...was thinking the same thing of having a female kinda replying in the background to what's goin on...just a thought though...glad to see someone else with similar ideas.

Kevin Allen

This is great. I agree that the vocals, and maybe the guitars, might be too wet, but it also gives it sort of live feel which is cool. The vocals at times sounds like John Lennon, to me. Nice to hear TRUE...Time to give her a lead part to sing, I think she passed the audition. :D

Thanks for the comments....True, we'd love you to put some vocals on it :) Phil Spector, I mean Kevin Allen, can fix the wet vocals and guitar. Not Phil Spector as in the alledged murderer...the mixer.

That 1st bass note swamps things for a moment.
Nice finger lickin' track.
I agree with RAMI re the lennonesquenessssnessness at the criminal of love stage somewhere around walls & bridges I think.
The wetness is a plus & a minus. Depends!
2nd lsiten - even better - I think you should definetly play around with the mix, add a little definition to the bass, a little more low mid to the country guitar & it would be great with a female backing vocal TRUEly!

Country's not my thing but you guys did a good job on this. Nice easy listen.Good to see true back in action again, but wtf is up with her audio situation?
Well, it isn't working for one thing..:D

I am so frustrated Bulls...hope to be back in the sound part of recording soon...;)
True, I'd love if you could add some bluesy phrases to the background. Make thi sinto more of a duet....It's good as it stands now so that's just a suggestion.., cause I love your vocals.
Ido....thank you much!:)...I am getting a lots of grinning tonight!!:D:D:D

I would love to add something to the song, if Monkey and Kevin want me to.

I am still waiting for this dood to come over and fix it. He was supposed to come by tonight and didn't.

Soon I hope!!
ido1957,
i agree...was thinking the same thing of having a female kinda replying in the background to what's goin on...just a thought though...glad to see someone else with similar ideas.

Kevin Allen
More of an echoing type reply? :)
This is great. I agree that the vocals, and maybe the guitars, might be too wet, but it also gives it sort of live feel which is cool. The vocals at times sounds like John Lennon, to me. Nice to hear TRUE...Time to give her a lead part to sing, I think she passed the audition. :D

Man...just when I start to feel all "washed up"..:eek:.. someone like you, comes along and strokes my ego...I love you.:D:)

The dood is supposed to be here tonight...so hopefully I will be back in the swing of things tonight!!!
Have to agree with Rami..True sounds better than some of the Pros I've played with! Keep up the good work!:cool::cool:
:D:D:D...I'm grinning ear to ear and so is my heart..!!!

Thank you slowrider..:)
Thanks for the comments....True, we'd love you to put some vocals on it :) Phil Spector, I mean Kevin Allen, can fix the wet vocals and guitar. Not Phil Spector as in the alledged murderer...the mixer.
Thanks Monkey! I am looking forward to doing so...:D:)
2nd lsiten - even better - I think you should definetly play around with the mix, add a little definition to the bass, a little more low mid to the country guitar & it would be great with a female backing vocal TRUEly!

Ray...I just love your aussie phrasing of things. It is a delight to read your posts...:D:D:D

Monkey and Kevin have done a great job writing on this tune...but I still have not gotten the opportunity to hear it...EVER!!!

I hope to do that... before... I go to the old folks home.:eek:

Might have a tad much reverb on the vocal mix
You beat me to it. I was thinking karaoke! :eek:

EDIT: but I do like the song. It was well written and played very well. I don't want to sound like a parrot, but it could use something else on the vocals: either a female echo, or just another backing vocal...

thanks for the replies yall...
i'm definately gonna re-work this song again and see if i might can add a little more power to the bass and maybe some lower end on the guitar...

a female echo to what's goin on would be GREAT i think....

i'm gonna begin working the tracks again and try to clean it up and make everything work better together...

TRUE...dont worry, if u want a part then get ur sound working, and prepare to record lol...

i personally believe more than a powerful song, this is more of a work of art...the music is odd, the words are odd, the style is odd, the conditions we came together and countries we are from are odd...and to bring all that together and make it work, is a work of art...

Kevin Allen

This is a great tune! Like others here, I'm not a huge fan of the country music (there are some exceptions)... But this, to me, sounds like a nice cross between the previsouly mentioned John Lennon and Hank Williams. Loving the reverb on the vocals, and the song is just.... well... good! ;)

I think the idea of female vocals would really make this a more solid piece though. (Not that it isn't good now... Don't get me wrong...)

Wow..this IS country!:D

I've never recorded a country song before, but grew up listening to it. I will see, what I can do over the next few days, with some backup vocals.

Want to listen to it a bit and get country "feel" of it and "hear" the spots to come in with some back up vocals and yeehaws .

Nice work you guys!

Kevin....I had to reformat my PC to solve the audio issue and have forgotten my Yahoo password AND my hint....:D...so I won't be on Yahoo for while.;)

You or monkey, can pm or email me if you need to.

Hey True, which version did you listen to? The one on my soundclick page? Kevin has done a top job cleaning individual tracks up and has another version. It has less reverb on the vocals and his guitar isn't as loud.

Last time I spoke with him I asked him if he could put a bit more reverb back on my vocal and turn his guitar up a little more. Anyway, one of us should be able to give you a link for rapidshare where you can dl the wav, when you wanna put on a vocal. But I'm not sure which version it'll be.

Sounds pretty cool. :)

Some country and some 50s like Rick Nelson'ish. Especially the verb sounds like those 50s songs.

Sounds pretty cool as is, however a little delay cut on vox verb might be something to try. Delay cut so it will make the room smaller.

Hey True, which version did you listen to? The one on my soundclick page? Kevin has done a top job cleaning individual tracks up and has another version. It has less reverb on the vocals and his guitar isn't as loud.

Last time I spoke with him I asked him if he could put a bit more reverb back on my vocal and turn his guitar up a little more. Anyway, one of us should be able to give you a link for rapidshare where you can dl the wav, when you wanna put on a vocal. But I'm not sure which version it'll be.

I think it is yours...if you are 'Montezuma Songs'..?

Got a link to the one Kevin mixed up...? I will pm you my email Monkey.

Back