my first post in the clinic...

Wow! Excellent vocal performance! Nice job on the harmonies. Very tight. Good song all the way around. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Twist

Heh... Alex is the Songwriting Forum's best kept secret ;) :D

Another excellent song dude. Well done.

I haven't sat and disected the song itself ;) :D. It all flowed well.

Something about your vocal is bugging me a little in this one. I don't think it's your performance. That sounds killer. It seems like maybe I would do some subtractive eq somewhere in the highs. I sounds a little harsh to me in spots. Especially when you start getting the gravel kind of thing going.

Caveat: I'm listening on computer speakers.

Excellent job once again though. I like it. Going into my keepers folder :D

I do like the tunes and your performance.

I'm hearing some artifacts that seem to stem from mic proximity. But maybe I'm hearing fret noises- I don't have the vocal track isolated here so I can't say.

Your technique of switching squeakily between tenor and falsetto is a signature type of affectation that cuts both ways. You certainly pull it off. Whether you want to go there is a very personal choice that I won't get involved in.

I recorded a great folk-rock singer type guitar/vocal guy that had a gravelly soulfull vocal and a set of covers that milked that. When I played his CD for some test audiences the reaction I got most strongly was his evocation of a "sad" emotional state. Put more graphically, my most telling test listener said, "He sounds like he has just slashed both his wrists with razor blades and is singing and strumming and bleeding."

SF6 said it clipped. At 1:01:922 in the right channel.

And what is up with those blips at the very end? At 1:56.711 and 2:05.260.

I'm not gonna get into a critique or anything, except to tell you that I played this one over and over again..

I really like the singing a lot.

Nice.

Great guitar sound, and you definitely have a unique vocal style. Tight harmonies too.

WATYF

Alex,
Once again, you blew me away. Your vocal performance was excellent. Your songwriting is top shelf stuff!
I will say that something is bothering me about your vocals also:

IT AINT F*@&!%# MINE!!!
Damn, what a voice!

bd

Welcome!! and thank you for sharing with us. 'twas really good! anything I heard these guys already told you. I did enjoy it immensely.

oooooo. i like this right from the start! that vocal is definitely 'present'.

nice song. great harmonies near the end. i like that kind of thing. this one's gonna stick around on my hard drive for a while.

thanks.

man i love that first chord change.

very nice.....best part?.....that harmony at the end....that was very cool....I'd like just a wee bit more guitar and for the harshness on the vox; try pulling the EQ down at around 2.5k.

Nice work...welcome to the board.

thanks

guys.. thanks for the helpful feedback and the warm welcome.

And what is up with those blips at the very end? At 1:56.711 and 2:05.260.

Every time I encode the wav to MP3 for this tune, it inexplicably adds the "blips". Anyone have any clue why? The working sonar files and exported WAV files have no blips at all.. very odd.

Your technique of switching squeakily between tenor and falsetto is a signature type of affectation that cuts both ways.

It just happens. When I change from one pitch to another under heavy exertion of air, that squeak you mentioned occurs quite on its own for me. I guess its just the way I developed my singing voice. I have learned to subdue it when I need to, but most often I just let it occur.

I'd like just a wee bit more guitar

I couldnt get the guitar sounding quite as "fat" and "tonally present" as my Taylor 714ce really sounds. Its hard to capture that bright yet warm tone and vibrant resonance of a Taylor guitar on "tape". I am sure there are engineers out there who can do it. What I did is blended the guitars onboard Fishman blending pickup as 1/4 ambient and 3/4 peizio through a SWR California Blonde Acoutic Guitar Preamp and also mic'd the sound hole with a Neumann KM184 Condenser Mic. I set the Fishman's EQ flat and adjust the EQ on the SWR to my liking, as well I made further EQ adjustments on my Mackie 24x8.

This gives me a lot of tone to mix with but, it seems, not enough. Anyone have any EQ tricks for really bringing out the spirit of a Taylor?

Well thanks again for the great feedback and I look forward to posting more stuff here.

-Alex

Good song and performance!

I thought the vocal was a bit too bright. Maybe roll off highs above 10K a bit.

To fatten up your Taylor you could try a bit of sidechain compression on the mids/low mids. Not too much or you'll start crowding the vocal.

Have to agree with everyone else - good tune.

Additionally, have to agree:

1) I'd like to hear more guitar
2) A few spots where the vocal "stings". (e.g 1:18 on the word "go" and at 1:33, the extended word "clear/clean: (?)).

How about some info on how you recorded and EQ'd your voice?

BPOCO

singing and playing my guitar is what makes me feel alive.

and i want to live life to its fullest :) so when i do it i put it all out there the best i can. after many years of doing this (started in early teens and am now 30) i guess you improve after a while.

thanks for your kind remarks,

alex

Wow what a vocal performance.I think erland has met his match.:D

Did you write this one?Excellent vocals and harmonies.

Back