my first post in the clinic...

Re: thanks

alexspetty said:
I couldnt get the guitar sounding quite as "fat" and "tonally present" as my Taylor 714ce really sounds. Its hard to capture that bright yet warm tone and vibrant resonance of a Taylor guitar on "tape". I am sure there are engineers out there who can do it. What I did is blended the guitars onboard Fishman blending pickup as 1/4 ambient and 3/4 peizio through a SWR California Blonde Acoutic Guitar Preamp and also mic'd the sound hole with a Neumann KM184 Condenser Mic.[/B]

why not just double track the guitar with your km184?

Woah! It's absolutely beautiful! What a great falsetto. There's nothing about this tune or recording I don't like! Excellent!

i think its sounds too "chorus-y" to double instrumentation tracks. i like to keep things thin as possible (except for vocal harmonies for which i like to create a huge wall of vocal sound whereever i can.. or at least where ever its appropriate).

its a good suggestion though, i just dont like the effect of doubled instrumentation. be it an all new over-played track with careful attention to sychnronization or a exact copy of the stereo track. both approaches sound false to me somehow.

i am hoping to find a way to bring out the tone I am looking for through somekind of mic proximity/EQ trick, or something along those lines. ie. get as much as possible out of one stereo guitar track.

i really appreciate the suggestion though.. thanks!! :)

-alex

i'll be very interested to hear how you achieve the guitar sound you're looking for. i'm a little averse to the guitar doubling as well, it just seems to happen a lot around here so that's why i brought it up. maybe you should pop for another km184 or a better preamp? maybe just some good compression will do the trick? anyway keep us updated.

i have to tell you, i've listened to this song a lot since i downloaded it. it's definitely great writing and a great vocal performance. i've had some time to form some more critical thoughts if you want to hear it. i really like the slip into head voice at about the 1 minute mark. that's just very nice. then the tasteful use of a harsher vocal right after that....then that really long note is well decorated. shit this is great stuff.

hey! I already downloaded this but didnt see that Id been here after a pleasant 2nd exposure, This is still a great song, well done as I said in my reply to both this and youre 2nd mp3 posting.
If I only had a brain:confused:

Back