Murder My Baby.

Interesting.

mix: thought the acoustic sounded pretty good, especially with the synth in the beginning, but I'd double it and pan another right, eq'd slightly differently. Hearing it in the one ear gets a bit tedious after awhile. I'm not a drum guy, I use software for mine...and honestly can't tell if that's a real kit. The snare sounds very dead. Needs some body maybe?

song: the meter of the vocals caught me off guard...they are very fast paced for the strumming pattern and tempo - really cramming a lot of words in there!

Interesting.

mix: thought the acoustic sounded pretty good, especially with the synth in the beginning, but I'd double it and pan another right, eq'd slightly differently. Hearing it in the one ear gets a bit tedious after awhile. I'm not a drum guy, I use software for mine...and honestly can't tell if that's a real kit. The snare sounds very dead. Needs some body maybe?

song: the meter of the vocals caught me off guard...they are very fast paced for the strumming pattern and tempo - really cramming a lot of words in there!

Thanks for the tip on the guitar. The drum kit is real. It's a Tama Rockstar. I have alota trouble with my snare. I really just need a new one, but don't have the budget. Do the lyrics actually sound crammed, or were they just surprising to you?

Thanks for the feedback!

I think the mix sounds good, I just think the performance of the vocals and the drums could be better.

Please, dont get me wrong, I just think you could polish those up, so it already sounds good even before you mix it.

I am aware of the drums. What do you suggest for the vocals? Is there anything in particular that could be improved?

Acoustic sounds pretty good...but like andrush mentioned, maybe add a second panned to add a little variety...maybe just in the chorus. Honestly I think the drums are holding you back. They don't sound all that great and not so sure about the performance. Its a great start though....good job

I think the vocals sounds a little bit like you are trying to sing louds part quiet. Sounds like you are pushing it a little bit, you know? Try to sing in a more confortable way, for your own sake.

But that is just my view on it, ok? If you think it doesnt sound bad, who am I to say so? :)

Mix is pretty good - the drums are a little in the background for me, but in the "olden" days they were too. It's just that today's mixes seem to "require" they be right up there with the vocals. Personal preference really.
The acoustic sounds nice - are you echoing it to the right side as I am getting some there as well as the left. So it does have some fill over there.
The reverb's cool - what are you using?

I guess I was surprised at how much was in there! It's just a different style is all, I was expecting something different when the vox came in. Not good or bad, just different from what I thought was coming - but that's just me!

This is exactly the kinda feedback I'm looking for. I will probably add a new drum track, and anew vocal. I recorded the vocals before I did the drums, so it wasnt the drums holding me back. I think I was trying to hard. The drum sound I'm happy with. The performance needs some work. The reverb I'm using is just the ReaVerbation plugin that comes with Reaper.

I thought the ambient sounds in the intro sounded cool. On earbuds it created an interesting experience. I thought the acoustic guitars sound nice and full.

The guitars were out a bit in front of the vocal. I would nudge down the guitars and nudge up the vocal. Some small pitch problems with the vocal - usually at the end of lines.

It's kind of big reverb. To me, this is a little more intimate song and so I'd go with something much smaller and dryer. The reverby swell thing just after 2:15 was unnecessary to me.

The drum part is too busy IMO. The vocal should be the center of the song. It's like the drummer was trying to steal the spot light. The snare was kind of dull sounding.

Except for the pitchiness in the vocal, the performances were all good. I'm probably being a little too critical. The mix is actually pretty good.

I'm the drummer. Lol. And the vocalist. And everything in between. :) It's been a while for me since I've last played the drums, and I did make it too busy. Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm listening on my car system so I can't truly critique the mix, but it sounds kind of boom on the bass guitar on this system. I think it's a good song. the drums are kind of low in the mix it seems. there is room to bring them up IMO.
good job.

I agree that the drums and the vox are the weak spots here. The acoustic and synths sound good. The bass is pretty inaudible, but if it's not meant to be a dominant instrument, that's fine.

The snare is pretty dull. It doesn't have a good crack. Especially for a rock song.
The vox sound like an OK delivery, but the way you have them mixed, they're pretty high in the mid-range, which makes them feel a little lifeless.

That's two guys who have mentioned the "bass" I'm not sure what u are hearing. There is no bass in this song, other than the bass drum. =D

Are using an impulse file on Reaverb? It sounded like Silo or one of those big ones (the part around 2:15), not sure what effect you wanted at that point in the song, but it struck me as strange.
For a song that is dominated by acoustic guitar (and some early synth), maybe rethink what you want from drums (if anything) in the song?

Just a quick note. I'm fairly sure you don't need a new snare, unless it's cracked or inflicted with some other obvious damage. If it's not damaged, then you just need to get some new heads on it and tune it properly. Everything that has been said I agree with. Drums sound dull. Acoustic sounds pretty good, and the vocal performance needs some work. Also - I kept noticing a drone of some sort in the right speaker. I think it was an electric guitar, but it just kind of sounded out of place. You could also work on the vocal pitch, too.

Keep at it, though, we all have to start somewhere! Thanks for sharing!

Are using an impulse file on Reaverb? It sounded like Silo or one of those big ones (the part around 2:15), not sure what effect you wanted at that point in the song, but it struck me as strange.
For a song that is dominated by acoustic guitar (and some early synth), maybe rethink what you want from drums (if anything) in the song?

Not sure what an impulse file is. Though if I remember correctly 2:15 is the bridge, where I added a gazillion amount of reverb? For that affect I used the ReaVerbate plugin, and set it at a custom setting that I labeled "Cavern" ;) Not sure if it was what I wanted. I wanted something that emphasized the hoplessness of the lyrics there. I wanted the vox to sound alone. somehow set apart. I suppose I didn't succeed the way I wanted. And yes, I will redo the drums. I hadn't played drums for several months before recording this and was pretty rusty. I need something simpler.

Just a quick note. I'm fairly sure you don't need a new snare, unless it's cracked or inflicted with some other obvious damage. If it's not damaged, then you just need to get some new heads on it and tune it properly. Everything that has been said I agree with. Drums sound dull. Acoustic sounds pretty good, and the vocal performance needs some work. Also - I kept noticing a drone of some sort in the right speaker. I think it was an electric guitar, but it just kind of sounded out of place. You could also work on the vocal pitch, too.

Keep at it, though, we all have to start somewhere! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the tips on the snare. I must just need to re-tune it, 'cause my heads are all pretty new. Maybe I should retune a couple of my toms too. My small tom is just naturally dead.

And yes, that drone is an electric guitar. But I'm not a electric guitarist. (As you can tell). I've been experimenting with the electric to try to get better. But its a whole different world and the going is slow.

Back