Like, a blast from the past MAN!

propman

My dad played bass for a band called Sanstone made up of some friends of his. They played at dances and stuff like that. I have a recording of the doing a few songs. They were recorded in a studio in town, but unfortunately the only remaining copy (that we know of) is a badly degraded cassette tape that was dubbed off from an 8 track cartridge. Here is one of those songs, Get Down Tonight. That is my dad in the picture on the soundclick page from back in the day. I thought there band was pretty talented, and I wish that there was a better tape to represent that talent. Take a listen. This is circa 1976. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=688193&songID=6983462

-Adam.

stop posting covers! :D

seriously, though - that is THE BEST THING I'VE HEARD ALL WEEK -- I'm going to be dancing around like a dorkus for the next 12 hours. Your dad kicks ass! I love how well you can hear the bass, despite the degradation.

Still not a bad sound given the probs - you could do some cleaning up & stuff. I use waverepair for transferring cassettes and LPs. The biggest issue for you would be to play it on a few tape decks and find the one that give the best playback result, match any noise reduction needs by the same process & then,having transferred it to comp again & having taken a sample of the tape noise from a section without music go through the do/undo process of selecting an appropriate noise reduction level before commiting to it. A little sparkle of top EQ to bring it to life and bango.
It'd be worth it jsut to archive your dad's stuff.
I've done this with tapes from about '75 with reasonable success.
The song is a classic and the bass, fat solid but not booming, comes through well.

Thanks. I told him I posted it, and he was pretty surprised that anybody liked it. He thought it was pretty cool. Rayc, I don't know how to do any of that stuff. Would there be any way you could help me do that, because I would love to. I sure wish I had the original multitrack. That would be the greatest. I wonder if it is still around.

Wow, considering what it was recorded with, it's actaully pretty good. Just needs to be polished and brightened up. Your dad was (is) pretty talented, I'm sure you're proud of him. Take it from me, Dads love to be appreciated by their kids....;)

Greg, that was the year before punk and the Sex Pistols changed the music scene....:D:D

Cheers
Joe

No doubt, I am proud. I'vs always thought that he is a kick ASS (sorry mom) bass player. He used to be able to sing really well (though I can't seem to get him to now) and he has some pretty mad skills on the guitar too.

Greg, that was the year before punk and the Sex Pistols changed the music scene....:D:D
Punk was around way before that. You could say punk really first started around 1969-1970 with The Stooges and the MC5. Then it took off in NYC around 1974 with the Ramones. Punk was in full swing by 1977 and the stupid Sex Pistols did nothing to help it along. They did more harm than good. ;)

Yeah I can help - check your PMs.
Greg has a VERY US bias (with good reason) re punk.
I quite liked the Pistols (76) but the Damned & X Ray Spex were "more fun".
The word Punk copped a lot of translation confusion between the old enemy & the colonies & the Year Zero mentality of London at the time rfused to accept the reality of history & ignore teh Voidoids et al from NY.
Being so far from relaity in a geographical sense meant that as a 19 year old in 76 I was in a position to enjoy it from both focal points. I was the only Pistols & Ramones et al listening person in my uni & even at that I was long haired, bearded & flairs wearing at the time.

Lol. It's not really a US bias though, because it's true. Punk is an American invention. American punk never got the press and notoriety that brit punk did though. The American mainstream press was just barely starting to warm up to bands like the Ramones and then the Pistols came along and fucked everything up for everyone. :mad:

I agree that there were way better brit examples of punk than the stupid Sex Pistols. The Damned and the Buzzcocks kicked the Pistols ass in every way except for T-shirt sales.

I have to own up that my 1st Ramones LP was It's Alive so I wasn't a quick owner - poor studenty I claim.
US Punk wasn't salacious or predicated on media furore (as devised by McClaren) so it only made inroads amongst the cutting edge art/music scene.
X Ray Spex said it well: "Did you do it before you read about it?".

Back