Ladies & Gentlemen...the blues with crawdad and erichenryus

Lt. Bob

Spread the Daf!
...........This is the first of several blues songs I'm gonna be posting soon.
There is actually a story that goes with this song and the others.

I've been here for a little over a year and those of you that were here then will remember that the first thing I got pumped up about were the collaborations. I just love the idea of people that will never meet making music together.....I mean, that's really cool ya' know? So at the time I wanted to see if it was possible to do larger collabs, more than two people. Now I know a lot more about it, but then it seemed hard. So I sent 4 blues songs out to different people.......about a year ago!!! :D The idea was to do as many as 5 or 6 people. Wellll.....one drummer dissappered so I never got those tracks.....I have some possibilities.....crawdad, of course, got me his tracks in about 45 minutes :D and I have some keyboard and another git player on some of the other tunes.

So this one has erichenryus playing the drums....and a fine job he does too IMO, and crawdad is playing the rhythm guitar on the right and the distorted ride. I'm doing everything else.
"The Blues"
http://www.nowhereradio.com/wondercow/singles

Very much enjoyed. Takes me back to my club days. Who was the vocalist? Sounds like BB King and Bob Seeger all in one!

This is a great track. First of all, the is the best vocal performance ever turned in by the multi-talented Lt. Its just got the right vibe and feel--so well done. While I'm on the Lt. Bob track, the bass, guitar and the horn section are just about as cool as one could ever want. Those Louisiana boys have something good going on, and Lt. Bob knows ALL about that!

Erichenryus delivers a perect drum track--love the feel and vibe, as well as the sound. I heard the scratch track and this is miles beyond. Excellent!

As for me, I at least feel like I didn't fuck up my rhythm and solo too bad. The real credit goes to L the grand Lt. for making a collab sound like something that could have been a real band playing. I'm giving 5 stars--not for my involvement, but for what Lt. Bob did with this to make it shine!

Yall shore pumped this ol heart up here. Just like it supposed to be. Damn, it makes me wanna go out and get a trim and my patent leather tips shined! :)
Absolutely fine as wine! :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

Oh, I dont give a shit about the mix an all that other stuff, I needed this sooooo bad, it sounds fabulous...

I failed to mention that was a stellar solo there Crawdad. Didn't lose the melodic thought even once. Well there was that last riff during the 2nd solo but whose counting.

Just excellent.

I Feel Special

I heard this before it was posted, because I have connections, lol.

Now, I've already dropped some comments elsewhere, but I'm so tired of making myself look like a complete novice with my posts (since my recordings already take care of that nicely), I'd like to ask each of you to list what instruments you're playing (make, model), any chains (there HAS to be a fender amp in there somewhere...I mean, an actual speaker, right?), and finally, what you recorded on.

The whole thing's excellent. I can't believe that's a V-Kit...they cymbals especially sounded like the real deal to me.

Anyway, *****, and please accomodate my feeble request if you have time.

:D
-A Groupie

Hey Chris--My meager contribution was rhythm guitar and a one lead ride. As I recall (it was a while ago) I played a Strat through my Allen amp (like a Fender) and I miked it with two dynamics--a Shure Sm57 and a cheap radio Shack drum mic. For the solo, I used a Fulldrive II for some grit. The micing was two mics close to the speaker. One was pointed to the center of the cone and the other was off-axis about 45 degrees.

My guess is that Lt. Bob used an amp too. It sounds too good to be a Pod! :D

Your lead is really the main reason I asked. Warm and tastey. I have a lot of respect for electric tone, because I've never dialed on in that I like for very long. In a way, I was almost hoping you'd say it was a POD setting (I'd buy one tomorrow)...but I knew better, lol.

The clean leads were a Strat thru a V-Amp! I get a pretty nice clean lead tone with it so I've gotten lazy and I just grab that rather than mess with my amps. They're all broken right now anyway.

The vocals and the sax are thru my trusty NT-1
BTW....Thanks to everyone who's already listened....I'll give a more detailed thankyou a little later. :)

Well, I can't delete the double post, but, Chris--I still swear by amps and mics. So, I'm scratching my head--why does Lt. Bob's guitar sound so good? Maybe natural talent?:D

Last edited:
Well done guys!!!

Nice mix and some fine playing. What a fun listen(s)![ 9 at least!]

Vocal feel slayed me!

Cool section writing Steve! I lost the lead @ 2:49 for a second or two however.

I would have liked the solos to have been 24 bars each, 12 bars just gave you enough time to 'wet your whistles'! My preference would have been 12 bar sax section, 24 bar sax solo, 24 bar 'HOLLOWBODY' solo, ending w/ 24 bar 'Electric 'solo for dynamic and climactic reasons. It's the blues, man. Who cares if the tune is 72 seconds longer?

The guitar line, during the sax solo, got in the way, I would have opted for very light comping behind it. If you could lower it to a whisper during all the solos it might be less intrusive.

What happened with the snare @ 3:30?

All the above is nitpicking and preference oriented. Once again, let me say, fine playing all around!

Ralph

I`m back to reality now after gettin a wonderful buzz off this piece. The most obvious thing that really stuck out to me was an imbalance in level between the two guitars. The parts were all sounding good and diverse in tone but the levels were off. The drums were very tasteful and not too busy yet played very very well, and the bass was smooth and warm. The horns could have been punched up some more, the "back in the room" sound was authentic but took a bit of the attack off, yet the playing made up for that. Vocals? Sweet! "God bless The Blues"

:D .....

Yeah man.......this is niiiiiiiieeeeeeeccccccccccce!! Steve!!! dude...nice vocs ....character-character-character! Your delta deep voice is perfect for this kinda stuff. You have a way of letting your vibrato slip out of key that "IS" this music. Nice bass.....tonewise and content. Great horns..... but thats to be expected:) Crawdad: sweet soloin' man. You get the best clean elec. tones in this clinic. ...just beautiful and perfect for the choice of song its in. ....tasty tasty chops too. Eric: Yeah!
excellent playing man....smooth! Nice sounds too. I read that youre using v-drums. .....they sound alot more touch sensitive than i thought they would. Great sounding cymbals. On this puter here at work I didnt get enough kick...... but it might be my listening source....... Im gonna hit this at home.
Very Live and "onstage" mix here......again conducive and cool!
Excellent work fellas!!!

gw/ a big 'ole fish fryin 5

Oh, that's sweet guys! My favorite blooz tune too! I think the V-Amp is money well spent....I love mine.
I too think it's cool to have people from all over the place come together on a tune like this......sounds like the cream of the crop here! I just finished a collaboration with a couple of guys over in the fostex forum and had a blast! Not postin here though.....you guys are WAY too good!
ALL of you did a great job.

bd

On 4th listen, it gets better and better. I had some nitpicks but they are gone. This is just way too cool. I really like the live vibe. It makes you want to be seated front and center, or maybe back at the smokey bar taking it all in. Very nice!!!

Bring that lead vox up Bob!!!

(I think that Hi-hat is really bright too, which makes it sound like a v-kit...but that just might be an issue of taste)

Swinging sax break

Great Job
Chris

Thanks guys....I really appreciate the listen.....

Middleman ....thanks....the club vibe is exactly what I was going for! I'm the vocalist BTW.

crawdad ....it means a lot to get a good review from "the bluesmeister" himself. I agree that Eric did a great job. This song was lifeless until I got his parts done and then I was inspired and that's where all the horn stuff came from......his playing made that happen.

Toki ......glad to have you along man.....next time I need you to play some bass on it. I hear what you're talking about concerning the occassional lack of continuity. That was the hardest oart....to get everything sounding as if it was played together. I fiddled with 'verbs and delays until just couldn't tell anymore. :D

Chris ....my man!.....I was wrong in my earlier response. That particular clean guitar was a J-Station, not a V-Amp. Geez, I'd just recorded the thing and already had forgotten what I'd used. What a senile guy I'm getting to be. Anyway, it was a J-Station on the blackface amp. model.

flat-9 ......man, you always give such detailed critiques. You're rapidly becoming a very valued member here. Yeah, now that you mention it, I hear what you're talking about concerning that guitar line. I think at the time, I was more concerned with getting Al's rhythm where you could hear it 'cause he only did that and that one solo so I wanted him heard. But I think that when I get a chance to remix it (lord knows when that'll be :rolleyes: ) I'll take your advice and pull it down in places. Thanks again.

G!.. ....thanks buddy.......are you a daddy yet? I appreciate the comments. I'll tell you...a lot of this came out because of Eric's drumming. It gave me that live feel that I really wanted on this. In fact, the only thing that I kept without redoing after I got his drumtracks was the bass 'cause I figured that since he played with it, I needed to keep that but I redid everything else. He really added a lot to this.

bdbdbuck .....thanks, I love the blues and I love collabs so I had the best of both worlds right here.....oh, and I had scotch too! :D

skids .....thanks my friend. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate the time. I was wanting it to sound like a band playing together. I'm glad that it gave that impression to you. Makes me feel good! :D Thanks again.

Chrisjob.....if my vocals were any louder, you wouldn't think they're so good! :D
You're right about the hi-hat. Eric already pointed that out and when I remix it, I'll pull it down some. I just don't know when that'll be. I'm playing 5 nights a week right now plus my day job and I have about a dozen collabs pending that I'm trying to get finished. Ah well....it's nice to be busy. ;)

Back