just another stone

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
This is a song I was working on. I tried several new things. One, this was my first tryout for micing drums ( old Rogers Tower set) with the R/s tom mics. Sorry for my playing, you real drummers! Second, I used the MXL V67 on vocal, just to see how it sounded on my voice. Also, my first experiment with micing the mandolin with an Oktava 012.

Any comments at all are welcome. I am wondering--does it sound clear, or could I mess with the mix frquencies more?

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1522&alid=-1

Last edited:
Damn you've got a good voice crawdad.Tasty guitar licks too!I love this style of music.This sounds like something the Rossington Collins Band or the Rossington Band would do.I bet Dale Krantz could sing this shit out of this tune.Good songwriting too man.This is an all around good listen.;)

Kramer--thank you for getting the correct link! It worked for me once, but I must have dozed in the process! Anyway, I corrected it in my original post too, so we can all get there now!

Also, thank you for the nice remarks! Very much appreciated, believe me!

Were you ever into Ray Charles?There are certain phrasings in this song where you sound just like him to me.

Very fine man. That's good songwriting all the way around...lyrics, chord structure, the way it's laid out.....really nice.
The recording's good too. I really liked the guitar sound a lot and, of course, your voice. I wish I could write like that. :)

Kramer--Oh, yeah! Love Brother Ray! Just wish I could do a tenth of what he can with his voice. He has a direct line from his soul to his vocal cords and when he sings, he exposes his whole being. I need to go back and listen to some of his stuff!

Lt. Bob. Again, I thank you. Say--if you get the chance, compare the MP3 with the CD ( I sent Lt. Bob a Cd with this song) and tell me how much difference you hear. I tried doing a variable rate MP3, which sounded better, but it was like 7.2 megs! I didn't want to take up that much space. Friend, you are awesome!

I'll do that. I've been wanting a chance to compare these things. I'll probably get around to it Saturday. I'll let you know.

good tune, great vocals! It's hard to judge the mix because of it being ripped at 64 kbps. I would have liked to hear it at 160..

really good tune man.. I liked everything about it..

great job!

Hey Crawdad......

That is very verrrryy good man. Your vocals are priceless. And I love the verb that you put on em. The V67 sounded really good to me, and sounds like it works good w/ the resonance in your voice. Would you mind if i ask you what your mic chain is. Your recordings always sound so clean. I know you aint usin my pre 'cause I dont hear thunder in the background:D Great song, great recording. G

samicide--is it really 64? The program I did it with was supposed to encode it at a higher rate than that---I guess I go back to my old way! I'll re-rip and re-post it. Thanks for the heads up on that and for the nice comments!

b. sabbath--I always assumed you and sami were the same guy, but since you both posted, am I wrong or are you/we just having some fun?! Thanks for the thumbs up!

Guernica--For the vocal, I think I used the Behringer VX 2000 with just the expander engaged with the V67. For the drums, I used 2 channels of my old Mackie 1202, A tube MP, a Meek MQ3, and the Behringer. That all goes to a Motu 2408 then to my Mac, where I am recording with Digital Performer at 16 bits. On this vocal, I used a tap delay set to random times and just barely cracked it on. I didn't really want to hear it, except subliminally.

Thanks everybody! Off to re-rip!

Man!

crawdad, sounds clear as a bell to me. Great song, and as mentioned above, your singing is fantastic. I really do hear a R.C. quality to your voice. Don't sell your drumming short, sounded right on the money to me.
Your vocal came across to me like you've got that direct line to the soul, also.
This track was a real pleasure to listen to...strong arrangement, heartfelt hook, excellent playing, strong clear mix. And the singing...damn strong.

Mark

You have a real nice "earthy" voice. I actually didn't think the drums were too bad. Everything sits very well in the mix. The tone on the lead guitar is real nice.

The only things I might offer is to bring up the lead guit during the solos just a bit. Maybe some backing vocals on the chrous.

But all in all a very good job. I liked it.

I just checked the bitrate from the d-load I have from last night and it says:
Bitrate Indicated:64

Bitrate Detected:128

Strange eh?I dont think Ive ever seen that before.I guess it is 128.

i was expecting some more mando there. I think it's just in the begining. Little in and out mando lines would be great in the chorus I think.

Also something is lacking as far as the groove. I can't put my finger on it, may be drums are a little "lazy" if you know what I mean. The groove just sounds dragging a little to me.

I will listen home on better phones but right now it sounds like hi end is somewhat missing. the recording clarity just not there for me.

All that said. Great tune, voice and leads. I like the mix alot, the way things sit together.

cheers

Back