JMarcomb/DavidK/ 38 violin parts/Dust in the wind

Love your avatar, DavidK, haven't heard anything of your music yet but you've got one point already!

As an instrumental, I like the levels a lot. There's still plenty of guitar and the strings mix nicely. Nice job doubling the "solo" too.

Cool!

Listening and typing:

Wellplayed, nicely orchestrated, I don't think the strings are too loud, good guitarsound, curious what you're going to add next...

Effe muggezifte (now for some nitpicking)

Although brilliantly played, the wide vibrato you play at 2:29 seems to be a bit overdone, too 'rock' for this setting. IMHO. :)

*starts playing it again*

Yes, this is very good!

Cool, cool tune!!!!

This is quite good. I am really into this sad sounding stuff. The strings are cool, as are the guitars. If i could make two tiny adjustment, during the intro and another time the guitar lick over the top of the figerpicked part jumps out a little loud. And the strings seem to cecay too quickly and then jump in here and there. It just sounds like it would be cool if they sustained a bit more in the guitar sections...in the background a little. But i am on speakers that came with my computor and they suck...so
Damn this is cool stuff. I am a metal freak mostly but this stuff with strings, and acoustics has so much emotion it is hard not to love it. Good job!

Downloading it... But I can tell, this one must be GREAT !!! Gee... I'm imagining you play the whole 38 parts :eek:

Well... first of all... VERY NICE RHYTM GUITARS!!! Played well, and sounds great. The acoustic lead guitar (which plays vocals part) is a bit "too shy" and played too carefull. It's good, but a bit off fluctuating emotions would be great. Overall violin is played very good. Damn, I do realize, it's not easy task to be "One Man Orchestra" !!! Specially if you actualy play 'em live track by track !!! Good job, Dave!!! :) My favorite violins part is the intro (~0:06 to 0:22). Smooth.

And the strings seem to cecay too quickly and then jump in here and there. It just sounds like it would be cool if they sustained a bit more in the guitar sections...

Agree with this on the interlude part. Have you compressed the violin parts too much ? And I heard the violins tend to be mixed "too mid" (frequency wise). Can you make it... say a little more "wide", so it won't mask the electric guitar part... (are they out of phase ?) ;) But overall... IT'S A GREAT COLABORATION GUYS!!!!!!

;)
Jaymz

.......looking forward to hearing this. Im having a problem w/ slow downloads at nowhere right now..........

........I'll be back.

bump

Hey David...I'm not sure everyone realizes this is a cover. Ya might want to at least give writing credit to Kansas on NWR or something so no one gets sued :)

Nicely done guys! You're an excellent match. I hear ya on the multiple takes David. My last one had over 100 takes to get the sax parts right, and they didn't come anywhere near yours, and you did it in a mere 38!

Twist

Very cool. It sounds great...

But there's no room for me to put a vocal in ;). Where's the karaoke version? :D

Wow...I like this the more I listen to it. Very nice. Wish I could play guitar like that (never could play violin, so...)

Nicely done - one of my all time favorite songs covered well.

great stuff..

Jeff, you already know I think the guits are great, and the violin rules..

If I had to nitpick, it would be that during the solo, maybe you could have harmonized a bit instead of playing the same exact notes as Jeff.. In general, with 38 tracks I expected to hear a bit more harmonizing and or counter melodys, but I still thought it was sweet..

great job d00dz!

I get the impression from David's post that this is a temporary arrangement. But I agree with Sam, I would ditch the lead guitar in the solo if you've got the real thing.

Outstanding! Everything! Love the guitars. The strings are just over the top. Ain't nothin like the real thing baby. This goes on a CD.

Excellent! I love all those strings in there and the guitar is a perfect compliment to this.

I listened with headphones and it sounded great with all those strings!

:)

First of all, I was able to download it at 50KB/s, so I already like it.

Okay, now it's playing.

I like it all except for the violins. Otherwise, it's outstanding. Just take the violins out and you're home free. I dunno, maybe some cowbell in place of the violins would work. It's pretty close right now, just ditch the fiddles.

(Okay, all kidding aside...

ditch the violins)

I actually don't have any complaints at all. When you posted that you mixed the strings too loud, I was ready to have my head taken off, but they sit nicely to my ears. They really sound warm, too... perhaps it's a natural effect of the multiple takes overlapping? Any EQ? Whatever you did, I like it much. Oh, and Mr. Marcomb, my original raves still apply. Nice work guys.

EZ-94.5FM,... Here we come!

DavidK, that is very, very impressive,... not only the playing, but the fact that you got 38 tracks to sound that subtle in the mix. This track has EZ-FM written all over it, and I mean that in a good way, haha. No doubt, JMARCOMB did an excellent job on the basic production, and gave you a super-solid musical base to work on. 38 violin tracks is a bit mindblowing to me, a simple analog buff, for sure, but your orchestration is excellent, let there be no doubt about it. You've got some talent there, son. Ever think of doing this for a living? [HAHA!].

Good job, & well done!;)

Hey David,
Very nice work man. This was already a beautiful piece before you added your magic to it. I enjoyed it very much. I'll keep a look-out for the finished tune.......
gw/5.

Likewise--I dug it. theres no substitute for real players who excel at their instruments. The acoustics sound wonderful, and I am jealous as hell. JMarcomb--you play with great phrasing and feeling, not to mention impeccable timing. DavidK--You're the "fiddle' player I wished I could have become. Its so good to hear the rosin of the bow dragging on those strings, the accurate intonation (yeah, I';ve heard some awful violinists) and the fine overall playing. I've said it before, but that violin of yours is an amazing sounding instrument--I can almost smell the wood and the varnish. Hell, maybe they all sound that good in your hands though!

Thanx for listening fellas. Hmm where to begin...

1. I tried thirty-eight cowbells, but they were synth cowbells, and I am a purist, dag nabit.

I get the impression from David's post that this is a temporary arrangement
Damn straight, isnt even close to what I want. It is more of a technical experiment than a musical one. I wanted to see what would happen, and if my 566 celeron would blow up if I did this.

If I had to nitpick, it would be that during the solo, maybe you could have harmonized a bit instead of playing the same exact notes as Jeff.. In general, with 38 tracks I expected to hear a bit more harmonizing and or counter melodys

Coming up, am doing some recording tonight. Jeff's notes may not be there, he sent me a version without the solos. I am also going to try to do a cello section, but my cellist is quite busy these days.
Hey David...I'm not sure everyone realizes this is a cover. Ya might want to at least give writing credit to Kansas on NWR or something so no one gets sued
My bad. I just assumed that everybody knows this tune. I am 38, I forget that this tune is 25 years old. Will fix it tonite.

OK gang, I will add more parts tonight. Maybe it will suck, but I want this great big orchestral sound that isnt happening yet. I like Sammi's suggestion of doing more harmony, that is my goal for tonight.

I am tempted to stop by the cave to waste hours of my time, but I am off to record, dag nabit. Hold me:(

Back