funk tune

Really well done. Love the bass. Extremely well played and great tone. Everything fits nicely, the drums sound great to me. No nits whatsoever.

Great tone on the bass. What's your signal chain for it?? Everything sounds good. No room for improvement. :)

especially like the breakdown part around 2:30.

Thanks for sharing. Be sure to do so more often!!!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Great tone on the bass. What's your signal chain for it?? Everything sounds good. No room for improvement. :)

especially like the breakdown part around 2:30.

Thanks for sharing. Be sure to do so more often!!!!

The bass signal chain is:

MTD 535 > Art PRO VLA > A-designs P1 > Mackie Onyx A/D

I had lots of fun putting this together!

Uh...wow man, that is super tight. Great tones all around. That is one crazy arpeggio (sp?) on the bass at 1:47 :eek:!

You left plenty of space for everything in here to be heard with equal measures of both clarity and energy. Personally, I like my funk a little less clean sounding, but I have a feeling this is exactly what you were going for and it works. Not sure you'd need to do anything with this other than continue to share it :).

Uh...wow man, that is super tight. Great tones all around. That is one crazy arpeggio (sp?) on the bass at 1:47 :eek:!

You left plenty of space for everything in here to be heard with equal measures of both clarity and energy. Personally, I like my funk a little less clean sounding, but I have a feeling this is exactly what you were going for and it works. Not sure you'd need to do anything with this other than continue to share it :).

Thanks heatmiser! I actually cut the bass track when I was heavy into bass about a year and half ago, and only recently got around to mixing. I don't know if I could pull that run off now without a little 'shedding first. :D

Funny you mention lo-fi funk. I actually was debating whether to go the old school route with the mix. The arrangement is definitely "meters"-esque, and I was initially thinking of copping a cissy strut kinda warmth. But in the end, I thought the slap bass benefited from the extra clarity.

squibble94 said:
That was amazing!! I really enjoyed listening to that man. Thanks.

Thanks squibble!

Chili said:
Niiiice......

haha...for modern slap tones, there's nothing finer than the 535.

Super skanky! Insane bass track; well played, recorded and it sits right in the pocket with the kick. The key to the funk!

Heatmiser is right about that lick at 1:45; as Little Richard says "It made my my big toe shoot right up into my boot!"

Everything else is top rate as well. A fine example of what can be pulled off in the modern home studio! Take a bow brother...

Funny you mention lo-fi funk. I actually was debating whether to go the old school route with the mix. The arrangement is definitely "meters"-esque, and I was initially thinking of copping a cissy strut kinda warmth. But in the end, I thought the slap bass benefited from the extra clarity.

Love the Meters! That was exactly who I was thinking of when I made that comment. This is more like mid-'70's Meters production (actually, more modern sonding than even that) as opposed to earlier stuff. Listening again as I type. Awesome!:D

Really good sounding mix with great playing. What is your recording set up? Are you using PC software? Or is that a reel-to-reel maybe.

BOOM! Wow, was that ever some tight playing. Thumbs up my friend, very impressive indeed.

Matt

Thanks Matt!

Super skanky! Insane bass track; well played, recorded and it sits right in the pocket with the kick. The key to the funk!

Heatmiser is right about that lick at 1:45; as Little Richard says "It made my my big toe shoot right up into my boot!"

Everything else is top rate as well. A fine example of what can be pulled off in the modern home studio! Take a bow brother...

Thanks JRSIV, you're too kind! I was hoping that the frills wouldn't take away from the overall pocket.

heatmiser said:
Love the Meters! That was exactly who I was thinking of when I made that comment. This is more like mid-'70's Meters production (actually, more modern sonding than even that) as opposed to earlier stuff. Listening again as I type. Awesome!

I definitely had Zigaboo in mind when I was putting that drum groove together. :D The pocket is so wide on some of that old funk stuff, that when there are mistakes, they don't sound like mistakes.

Noise Tank said:
Really good sounding mix with great playing. What is your recording set up? Are you using PC software? Or is that a reel-to-reel maybe.

Thanks Noise Tank, I appreciate it! I'm using Cubase 4 and mixing ITB. The bass was DI'ed through an A-designs P1, and I think the solo was done through a UA610. The e-guitar went through a Fractal Audio into the P1.

I keep going back to that song for inspiration and tone ideas. Really a great sound. Were those real drums?

Back