funk tune

Yeah AWB was who I thought of.

This is so good - the performances, the arrangement, the recording, the mix and of course the tune itself. Top shelf stuff. Well done

Here's a little funk tune I've been working on. Would appreciate any feedback:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=812507&songID=8043758

Oh, now, Dayum. Dis got it goin' OWN!!!

Shit the pocket on those drums would hold a freaking Volkswagen. The bass is making me drool. I'm waiting for the melodic element, but shee-it, this is HOT. And I'm picky about my funky. Bass solo going now, well bite my ass this is smooth. I think I hate you now. :) Just wow. No complaints at all, I bow to you, fine sir.

One of the best sounding kits I've ever heard. Everything else is great, too....but the kit...like I'm standing in the room.

Care to tell about it?

All good.

Thanks for the comments everyone!! I haven't been around these parts in a while, and am just getting back to this thread now:

I keep going back to that song for inspiration and tone ideas. Really a great sound. Were those real drums?

Thanks squibble! The drums were Addictive Drums with some tweaks. I programmed the loop myself. AD is really deep tone-wise, but like most other drum plugs I've come across, you have to breath life into the loops to make them feel right.

kcearl said:
excellent...loved the bass..all round super fly

Thanks kcearl!

dementedchord said:
very average white band... now i cant get school boy crush outta my head...

Now I need to get me a horn section! haha Musically, I was trying for more of a meters-type laid back shuffle and stripped down arrangement. Zigaboo is the man. But you're right, the more glossy production resembles 70's-early 80's stuff like AWB.

Bulls Hit said:
This is so good - the performances, the arrangement, the recording, the mix and of course the tune itself. Top shelf stuff. Well done

Thanks for the kind words BH!

Llarion said:
Oh, now, Dayum. Dis got it goin' OWN!!!

Shit the pocket on those drums would hold a freaking Volkswagen. The bass is making me drool. I'm waiting for the melodic element, but shee-it, this is HOT. And I'm picky about my funky. Bass solo going now, well bite my ass this is smooth. I think I hate you now. Just wow. No complaints at all, I bow to you, fine sir.

haha, thanks Llarion! After a year, I think I'm gonna leave it as is!

nzausrec said:
Man.
Yeah, I also love that crazy lick and wow bend.

thanks nzausrec, the unison bend was fun. I tried to keep it way behind the beat to make it extra greasy.

rightroad1 said:
haha,l love it,good job.

Thanks rightroad!

jeffmaher said:
One of the best sounding kits I've ever heard. Everything else is great, too....but the kit...like I'm standing in the room.

Care to tell about it?

All good.

The kit is Addictive Drums. I was pretty surprised at how deep AD is. It doesn't sound like this out of the box, but if you hear it in your head, chances are you'll be able to get close with AD.

This is some bad shit!

Awesome bass playing, man.

It's hard to believe these are programmed drums. The snare nuances are all there...even catching some of the rim at times.

Great job!

glad you pulled this back up - I missed it the first time. Nice bass! Drums are discouragingly good for me, given that I've gone over to a real kit (and no playing skills) due to dissatisfaction with what I could do with sampled drums.

That bass is just SICK! Very clean mix - I can't think of any way to improve it - makes my funk seem less funky some how...

love the break down around 2:30

It's ready for the vocal track!

Back