First Hard Rock Mix

Slowjett

I just mixed this for a friend. Never really mixed hard rock stuff. ussually I do acoustic guitar and bass and just starting to record drums. He recorded and brought the tracks to me. Hows the mix sound? Its short about 2 minutes. It was actually a 58 on kick, 57 on snare and some consumer stereo condenser for overheads that went through a mini disk recorder ;)

-josh

wow...that's really full on!!
I'd like to see this at a live venue being performed....I suspect my forehead would be a lot squarer!!
Rock-On!
I can't comment on the actual mix...other than you seems to 'carry' the 'sound' across well enough!

Thanks guys. The bass sound is pretty much what they wanted, as well as the ringy snare. LIstened to it in the car today. with that said I feel like the bass drum could have more cut through.

As soon as the song kicked in, I immediately thought "Godsmack".
And I love Godsmack!!

This is a really awsome song! I just wish it were longer.
That would be my only problem with it. I'd love to hear a solo, and maybe a small interlude with just the drums/bass playing.

Pretty good song, Slowjett!
Drums could use some more definition though, they sound a bit muddy to me. I like a "clanging" snare drum, but yours has a bit too much "clang" in it, I think. The kick could use a bit of click to come out more. The guitars could be a bit more promonent too. But this is just my opinion. Song is really good.

:D:D
Joe

Awsome!

I realy like this song, i listened to it on my sennhiser hd 535's and it sounded sweet the only things i dont like happent to be the vocals in the begining and i realy dont like the tone of the snare for some reason i like a lo-fi sorta crackle for snare. oh yea and bring up the volume on the bass drum

Last edited:
The kit does seem a little muddied - maybe a little more bass drum would help - it's MIA to me. The bass & snare remind me of Primus.
Pretty good work on your part.

that snare sounds terrible, but it's probably the drummer's fault moreso than yours. i would take the bass down a notch, guitars up, and try and do something with the snare. not too bad though

Thanks guys. I kinda like the snare all ringy and stuff. Defiantly not right every song though it is a bit loud. I totally agree about the kick. It was about 4db louder than the guy wanted it too. The kick track is pretty much maxed out, so in order to bring it up I think I have to actually either resend all of the tracks minus the kick to a sub channel so I can lower them evenly or re-mix the whole thing considering the automations in place.

great feedback guys! It's really great to see different prospective and opinions on sound!

-josh

One quick question. I have zero experience with side chaining How would you guys think side chaining the kick to the bass would do be in a rock song like this? I'm under the impression its more of a dance music technique. I might give it a try to help get more definition.

I like the remix much more than the first take. The balance feels much better.

I agree with some of the other comments about the snare being out of control. As a drummer, this is always a challenge for me. I would put a gate on the snare track to tame the ring. You'd end up with the same tone, but without the annoying after-effects post-attack. You might ask the drummer in the group to have a quick listen to Dream Theater's "Just Let Me Breathe" and see if that's the sound he's after (heavy ringing rock snare). Aside from a better-sounding snare, I can pretty much guarantee that the DM track has some heavy snare processing to control the ring.

Well done.

Back