Eddie's Debut Single "Change"

eddietellis

Hey everyone,

Im 16 and I just finished recording my first song. I just figured Id drop by and see if I can get any mixing advice from any of you. Me and and my dad have had a real tough time mixing this thing. All instruments are me so critic is appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Eddie T. Ellis

http://www.supload.com/music/Eddie-T-Ellis/Change/FABMO93TS39N-download.html

"Change" Copyright 2008 by Eddie T. Ellis
Unlimited Free use granted to the Obama 2008 Campaign

Well Eddie, you have some serious musical talent both instrumentally and vocally. This is a good tune - did you write it? It's a good mix - clear, well separated and vocals are nicely audible.
One thing I would suggest would be to double the guitars and pan each l/r. Do the same with the backups. Then I'd pull the drums more center, same with the lead. I'm thinking that would fill the mix up a bit and also standardized the stereo image...Just a suggestion....
Overall though it's an impressive piece and I think you've done a great job on performance and recording... :thumbs up:

Thank you very much!

Yes I did write it aswell as doing all the music arranging.
I will take your suggestions and see what happens.
Thanks,
Eddie

hey,
you are very talented i agree.
i agree with the guitar comments.

and i believe your weekest part of recording thus far is the drums. it took me years to get it right and it all came down to correct mic placement and a program called DRUMAGOG.

DRUMAGOG will make your drums sound crystal clear and if you track drumagog on your snare, kick, and all your toms....and then mix it with 100% natural signal of the cymbals (i recommend 2 overheads + one on the high-hat) you will get an awesome drum sound.

i'm a drummer and when my band records i am kinda the "speciliast" on recording the drums haha.

check out "always be" at www.purevolume.com/marktaylor55 *note purevolume distorts the quality alot** but you'll see how much clearer and punchier the drums are with drumagog and then this in affect gives the cymbals a height effect in the background that sounds very professional.

best of luck, kevin

Good job; it sounds good.

My primary complaint is that the crash is a little overwhelming during the chorus.

The bass lacks definition. It's more felt than heard. The panning of the drums was already pointed out.

Don't take this the wrong way but my first reaction was that this is just like that scene from the Simpsons where the kid wants to touch the model volcano but his dad tells him no coz he spent so long slaving away building it himself...if you know what I mean...I mean come on..."Eddie's Debut Single". Who's your dad? George Martin? Ken Scott? Phil Spector? Shouldn't 16 year olds be churning out low fi crap on dodgy cassette decks held together with wire and chewing gum?

Nice work Eddie...or should I say...Fast Eddie. It's fucking good man.

Back