Cheese feedback

bozmillar

This one was done with some virtual instruments (obviously) and I just wanted to get a cheese rating on the sound of the fake orchestra. After messing around with sample libraries for long enough, fake strings start to sound real and real strings start to sound fake, so I need a reality check.

So give me the usual (mixing, eq yada yada) but mostly I need to know cheese factor. Could I convince your mom that it's a real orchestra, or does it sound like some guy playing a keyboard in his bedroom?

Thanks much.

I can relate. I do a lot of work with VSTs--especially pianos & strings just like you've done here (and you're right, it is easy to get "lost" in the sounds of the VST and lose track with reality). So maybe that makes me less than an objective critic, but I like what you've done. I like the balance of the strings w/the piano, and though an educated ear would know they're synthesized samples, my mom sure wouldn't! And the piece is beautiful to boot--nice job.

So on the cheesy scale of 1-10 (ten being the most cheesy), I give you 1.5 wedges:

Attachments

• cheese_scale.jpg
    cheese_scale.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 33
I love cheese!

I wouldn't buy that as real strings for a second BUT my grandma probably would. It's a lovely sound for sure, Vangelis should have been so lucky to have that back in the 70's. I wouldn't change a thing about the mix, it's very nice. What do you use for piano?

Everything sounds nice and "ear pleasing." The strings and piano blend nicely.

The mix is pretty quiet in the early stages. I like how it builds slowly. But the early part, to me, is just a bit too quiet.

The stereo image is a little on the narrow side. Not bad, but a little.

The mix is missing a few highs. Some of that (or maybe even all of it) might be due to the mp3 conversion. But I'd like to hear more high end. Especially from the piano.

hmm, I guess I agree with the lacking high end stuff. I probably planned to adjust for that in a "mastering" post process, but never got around to it.

I'm using GPO for strings and The Grand 2 for piano. I know that with a lot of work, it is possible to get convincing string sections out of GPO as long as you don't try to push it beyond its limits, as I have heard a really good GPO demo before. My issue is that most GPO demos sound extremely and obviously fake. That is what I'm trying to avoid most here.

It's very low on the cheese scale, but it's mostly because fake strings with piano is a fairly "de rigeur" sound. IMO, YMMV, grain of salt, etc.

Great dynamics. Some of the stronger portions could use a little gentle brass as well - maybe you'd be able to back off a little on the strings...

Nice work.

Yeah, very pleasing overall sound. Two things would make it more realistic IMO. The piano has a rich and pretty realistic tone but it's lacking transient detail. The Flux Bittersweet 2 plug is good for that kind of thing and I hit the mix with it and I liked its effect on the piano. If the strings articulated phrase endings they'd sound much more natural - bowing articulation that gives a sense of definition and separation between the phrases.

I don't know shit about piano or strings, so it sounded fine to me. I give it a 10 on the cheese scale not because of the sound, but because soft strings and piano stuff is freaking super cheesey. :D

Sounds real good. Here are a few ideas:

1. Try bringing in the strings at 34 seconds intead of the beginning.

2. Think of the strings as contrary to the piano. not doubling it. The piano has the lead, strings are backing. Try writing a separate part that moves when the piano doesnt and adds more interest.

3. The string attacks on samples are usually behind, they are too slow. They are probably a 16th or 32nd note behind. Try moving the whole string track (assuming it is separate from the piano) back about a 16th note, and it should line up well. Very nice, a good listen.:)

Back