Check my mix,Please!

muzeman

Hi all,

This a song Iv'e been working on with boydrj for a while.
It's pretty much the finished version on my end,Rob is going to add drums,bass,and keys.

I wondered if anyone would be kind enough to check the mix and see if there are any problems before I send it over to Rob,I'd really appreciate it.
(I'm still mixing on an old stereo,Iv'e got to get some monitors!)

Any comments would be welcome,good or bad.:)

It's the first song.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1317&alid=-1

Thanks very much,
Pete

America?

Hey Pete, loved your song man..the harp really set it off. Great voice you got there, It reminded me of some early "America", I always dug their stuff pretty much. Hey you set me up for that *one star bandit I see...hehe I'll do the same for you;) Enjoyed it much Pete!

Very nice. The harmonica was a nice touch. It sounds pretty cool all the way through but the VERY end needs a little work. Very nice tune.

muzeman,

Hey dude!

I've some thoughts and opinions for ya,

Leave the electric git way down (maybe to the side) in the intro. Tease it more. You've got all acoustic elements minus the electric so I'd use the electric to build and fill. Don't give it all up on the first date, if you will;) . It comes in just right after the intro.

Your git sound and vocals sound damn good!! Cool progression and playing.

Around 2:50 I'd throw in a harmonica solo just before the electric git solo. I really would..........if I could play the mouth harp:D
But, you can and you should at least try it out.

From what I recall, your recordings are getting alot better than when I first heard you. Again, nice acoustic git sound and vocals

Clean up that ending. With tracking and mixing like this, you've no excuse:) ;)

Hope I've been constructive.

Nice song

Peace,
theron.

great interplaying acoustics at the beginning......really like the harmonica..........very nice and clean recording

good stuff.......i wish i had some good suggestions, but i don't...............nice work

Sounding good, Pete. My only real critisizm would be that it doesn't really sound like the instruments are in the same room. The guitar has a room sound, electric is in a hall and the vocals are very up front and 'pop' sounding. If you can decide on an acoustic space for the parts it might help them blend together a little better. The tracking quality sounds great.

Thanks guys!

Hey David,thanks for the stars man,mabey I should just save the bandit the trouble and one star it myself!:p
Thanks very much for the kind words,much appreciated!
If I could ever sound half as good as you dude,I'd be doing something!:D

Thanks Track Rat,I really appreciate you taking the time to listen!
I still hear your version of Nantucket Sleighride every time I think of that song.
That was really great man!

Glad you liked the harp,any suggestions for the ending?

Iv'e been meaning to PM you about suggestions for recording with my 184.
I havn't had very long,still trying to figure the best way to place it.
If you have any tips,I'd appreciate it.

Theron,thanks bro!
I'll try out your suggestions,any ideas for the end?
Mabey a repeating fadeout?

Ya,my recordings are getting a little better,but compared to the great stuff that's goin on around here,I'm almost ashamed to post it.
But I figure,what the heck!:D

Thanks Powderfinger,I always appreciate your listening!
I really dig your stuff,wish I could sing like that!
I have to double my voice just to keep the cat's from howling!:p
Thanks for the kind words bro!

I really appreciate everyone's help!
You guys rule!:D
Pete

Hey Tex!
You snuck in there on me while I was posting!
Thanks for the kind words bud,I appreciate you taking the time.

The electric was a preset on my J station,mabey I can tweak it.
The vocals and guitars were a different mic,mabey more verb on the guitars?

Thanks for the tips,I can't hear that stuff on my monitoring system.
I'm hoping to get some real monitors soon!

Hey,you have a V-67 don't you?
I just got one.
I remember that Australian band you recorded,one of the reasons I wanted one.
Any tips for placing it?
I used it with a 184 on the guitars,and the doubling on the vox.
Put it through my mini pre,seems to like it.:D

Thanks again,
Pete

WOW! you sure you need my help on our collab?:eek:

i like the electric in the intro and the harmonica is very tasty.....yeah, bring that electric down in the verse, or better yet, let a keys part go there and save the electric for later for dynamic purposes.....the tone is good though......

this one is really gonna rock...cant wait to hear it finished.......

this one gets 6 stars.....:D

Muzeman is The Man!

Hello All,

First off let me just tell you what a pleasure it has been collaborating with Pete (Muzeman) on this production. We have been playing with it for a few weeks now (in between family outings, watching the World Series and what-not) and Pete has been supportive all the way...

I have yet to add my parts to this version (though I have added parts to another rough version and we are hammering out the details) ... I'm hoping that my parts can keep the artistic integrity of this song because it is a beautiful piece of music.

Just wanted to give Muze his props! Five stars!

:) :) :) :) :)

Thanks Mike!

I DEFINATLY need you on our collab,cause you the man!:D
The ace of ace's
The genius behind the scenes
The big kahuna
(Besids,I gotta get this monkey off my back somehow!):p

I like the idea of taking the electric out of the verse.
Just leave it in between and on the bridge,cool.

See that,we havn't even started,and you already saved my butt!:D

Thanks,
Pete

Hey Rob!

Thanks man,back at ya!:)
You get 5 stars just for putting up with my procrastination!
(I'm a notorious slacker!):D

The pleasure's been all mine,your stuff's sounding really great!
That bridge you wrote really made it dude!
(Were almost there,where almost there.):eek:

Collaborating is really cool stuff!

Thanks for making it happen,
Pete

Sounds pritty good. I agree with Theron about the guitar level at the beginning. Also the Harmonica sounds so good I think you should add more of it. What about a note or 2 at 0:58 ? and more to break up the guitar solo maybe at 2:50 or maybe a little later at 2:58 ? and a note at 3:42 to lead into the electric ? Yep and I think the ending's been mentioned.

Just ideas

Really soulful stuff... I like it a lot

had to get to this before bed

Very nice all around... the electric is a nice touch... tho that's one of those things that could be overdone... the acoustic sounds "alive"... vocals are very nice....

Harmonica was killer... not one for Christian music per se, but this is very nice.

Well :o pretty much echoing everyone else... maybe 'cuz what people are saying's the truth? :)

Good job on the recording, as well... this is one of those you'd have to get out the microscope to find the nitpicks on... or listen to very carefully on monitors (a little tricky with my current set up)...

Thumbs up, and keep 'em coming, Pete! :)

Chad

Aren't collabs Fun!?
I think this one will be cool....a good song.....acoustics sound good.......not as excited about the electric. It's a bit too dark. Also, I think I'd have it centered with a good stereo delay on it...it would make it more ethereal and blend with the acoustics better. The playing's good all the way around and I really like the dbled vox. Vocals are very nice.
A good piece of work.....it'll be great to hear the finished version.

1 hour later..

hey Pete, sounds pretty sweet! nice acoustic sounds, and the vocals sound pretty good to me.. good harp sound too.. this will sound real good after drj's parts..

I thought the first harmonica part was a little louder than it should be, but I had to really look for something to complain about.. I like the electric guitar too..

What is Bethsaida? Is it a real place?

sounds great so far..

Hey there Pete: Man, I haven't read the rest of this yet, but if anybody complained about the lead tone, they're just nuts, in my amateur opinion. I really like the tone, although I wasn't crazy about the use of it in the verses...but that's purely personal on my part.

My only criticism is that the second chord you play is out of tune a hair. I didn't hear it out in the rest of the song, but when that acoustic is all by it's lonesome right at the beginning, that second cord sticks out to me.

Nice work,
Chris

Real nice song, very pretty. I love the intertwined guitar parts. The electric sounded very cool.

It seems there's a two part harmony trying to creep out. The lead vocal is covering it a bit. Was there a bobbled vocal during the opening line? I thought I heard something amiss - perhaps vocal track slightly out of sync. Either that or I'm just stupid. A flat note sung at 1:38 or so? Again, I'm probably stupid.

These are just nitpicks. But if the song isn't finished, you have the chance to go back and listen.

Nice job, I enjoyed the song.

Sounds good. The acoustics sounded great. I think the electric needs to be a little more wet to fit in. I could hear what you were trying to do with the electric during the chorus/bridge.. sort of like a pad. Maybe use a clean guitar with volume swells, instead or as complimentary? Just a thought. It's been really neat watching/listening to this song develope.

Back