Bats Brew (melange de la chauve-souris)

Great harmonies. Tight. Toms sound NICE :) Guitars are well done, as well. Love that solo. Only nit: I'd like to hear a little more push on the bottom. I know it's there, and it's solid. Just like to feel the kick a bit more and have a bass that's a little more than "there".

agreed on the kick. My system at work usually is bass/kick heavy and its really hard to hear the kick on it. A little more in it and it will be excellent. Great job!

Toms are panned too wide for my taste (but that's just me). Agreed that the snare and kick could be a little louder in the mix. The lead guitar kicks butt, but I'd like just a little reverb on it and hte rhythm guitars to put it more in the same space as the vocals and drums.

Great grooves. Virtuoso playing abilities, as I've come to expect, not just in the notes you play, but also the way in which you play them. Your groove is on. Always.

Another vote for drums need more work. I realize that a mixer needs to pick and choose what does and what does not get featured, and clearly this is a guitar driven song, but still, the drums are quite drowned out for the most part.

However! I think this song is great. I must also mention that I think the vocal harmonies are brilliant.

Great harmonies. Tight. Toms sound NICE :) Guitars are well done, as well. Love that solo. Only nit: I'd like to hear a little more push on the bottom. I know it's there, and it's solid. Just like to feel the kick a bit more and have a bass that's a little more than "there".

hey, thanks for listening H

i'm going to re-mix this project this summer,
so yea, low end and drums are getting a big push.

my mix skills are so much better now than they were then,
plus i have a better DAW, so dialing in the mix should be pretty straight foward.

i'll probably re-track a few things as well, just to make it 'fresh'

agreed on the kick. My system at work usually is bass/kick heavy and its really hard to hear the kick on it. A little more in it and it will be excellent. Great job!

bruthish,
your comments are right in line with most everyone else that has recently heard this.

the original drum tracks are really dry, and i mixed them pretty much like i got them.
i think i'll get pretty aggressive with the new eq, some compression, and maybe some room sound added....

---------- Update ----------

Explosive intro. Got me interested straight away.

The snare could be louder.

check with SNARE!

heheh,
i'm going to completely re-mix the drums from scratch,
so it'll be interesting to see how much i can get out of the original tracks

Toms are panned too wide for my taste (but that's just me). Agreed that the snare and kick could be a little louder in the mix. The lead guitar kicks butt, but I'd like just a little reverb on it and hte rhythm guitars to put it more in the same space as the vocals and drums.

when i re-mix this,
the first thing i'm going to do is set the drums up from scratch.

i was very conservative with my original approach,
and used the tracks pretty much like they were recorded.

now, i think i'll be much more aggressive with it,
and that should pull it all in.

i will not add reverb on the guitars,
i really want them present, and there is enough room in the mic to give the guitars exactly what i want out of them...

the drums and vocals were done in a booth......
so maybe, i'll add something to them at mixdown,

but then again,
i may very well make them dry as a bone.

most of the classic pro mixes i like the most, have completely different effects on everything....
that said, having a single room sound (even if it is artificial) sometimes DOES tie it all together.

i will experiment.

This song reminds me of something Jane's Addiction would do circa Ritual. I mean that in the very very best of ways.

Great grooves. Virtuoso playing abilities, as I've come to expect, not just in the notes you play, but also the way in which you play them. Your groove is on. Always.

Another vote for drums need more work. I realize that a mixer needs to pick and choose what does and what does not get featured, and clearly this is a guitar driven song, but still, the drums are quite drowned out for the most part.

However! I think this song is great. I must also mention that I think the vocal harmonies are brilliant.

thanks fishy, for checking it out....

it's funny,
this song came out of a riff that i used to play when i would go and demo guitars in stores....
it was a little funky riff that seemed to bring out the best in guitars, or show where they were weak.
i never thought it'd be a song!

batsbrewlabl_big.jpg

This song reminds me of something Jane's Addiction would do circa Ritual. I mean that in the very very best of ways.

thank you for listening, superC.....

janes, that's interesting, i always did dig janes, but wouldn't list it as a reference or influence.....

i wonder how this song would sound with all the electric rhythm replaced with aggressive acoustic guitars instead?

---------- Update ----------

That's a real rocker. Can't hear any kick, but still very good.

we can take care of that kick problem...........!!

LOL

i can hear the kick fine on my playback system.
but i'm going to polish it again anyway......
mostly eq, and room sound

Back