View Poll Results: best daw software for recording?

Voters
538. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sonar

76 14.13%
  • cubase

102 18.96%
  • acid

9 1.67%
  • adobe

20 3.72%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

68 12.64%
  • nuendo

15 2.79%
  • logic

76 14.13%
  • other (please specify)

172 31.97%
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: Whats a great DAW software for recording?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    The amount of control (or sometimes more necessary is the ability to 'fine' tune things within a track) is what sets the full version apart.
    Jimmy, I think you're on to something here. I know you were commenting on Melodyne, but you could easily apply this line of reasoning to a DAW as a whole when picking one.

So the first question I would ask if the extended feature set in an Autotuner or a DAW (either one) matters if you can't see yourself using the features in the immediate future, but wouldn't rule out using them eventually. With an Autotuner you may be able to upgrade it later, but with the full version of a DAW you just have to find workarounds. And if the inconvenience of lacking the features starts to get in your way you then have to make a decision to tolerate it or re-learn a different DAW. So there's an important question to be answered on weather someone should evaluate any software purchase based on a full or partial feature set, and weather they would really miss the absent features in the partial set.

Also, the amount of control is a big deal to me in a DAW, but they all give you more/less control over different things. And then some give you the same amount of control (say over parameters of an audio clip in a track) but in a very inconvenient way. I would say asking 'how does this DAW fine tune things' would tell someone a lot about if certain programs are a better fit for them.

Thanks
    Which other DAW's are packaged with hundreds of dollars of software?
    Not sure about what comes with every DAW out there...but during the winter time, people were able to buy the full-tilt Samplitude ProX3 Suite for $150...which has the Melodyne, a whole bunch of stock plugs, some iZotope stuff, cleaning/restoration stuff, plus a huge synth player/library setup.
    Quite a substantial collection of software along with the high-end DAW app at the core.
    That was the deal of deals.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    for basic pitch correction it has everything I need
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Not sure I get your point
    Hmm, thought that was pretty straight forward.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    That was the deal of deals.
    That sounds like a crazy good deal. I just think people should spend more time considering those type of freebies/add-ons/discounts for 3rd party stuff, when choosing a DAW. Most of them do the same thing, but the biggest differences are the extras that are either included or extremely discounted. What do you think?
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    That sounds like a crazy good deal. I just think people should spend more time considering those type of freebies/add-ons/discounts for 3rd party stuff, when choosing a DAW. Most of them do the same thing, but the biggest differences are the extras that are either included or extremely discounted. What do you think?
    Same question to you as I posed to Jimmy. In order for that line of reasoning to apply, its seems you'd have to assume the user won't ever need certain feature sets which do make the DAW itself different (though they're the same in many ways). So doesn't it seem reasonable to start by examining the difference in the DAWs and make the decision based on that rather than the freebies? The DAWs do the same thing but they're certainly not identical.

Thanks
    I use Propellerheads Reason since 4.0

Pretty much use this for everything. I have but no longer use, Ableton 7, Cubase ?, Fruity Loops ?, Acid Pro 7.

Thanks
    I have to buy a copy of Studio One Pro 4 tomorrow. Spent some time today looking over the features....I have to hand it to ya. This is a really nicely packaged DAW. I see what you mean by this having an excellent set of add-ons.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkuehlin View Post
    I have to buy a copy of Studio One Pro 4 tomorrow. Spent some time today looking over the features....I have to hand it to ya. This is a really nicely packaged DAW. I see what you mean by this having an excellent set of add-ons.
    Did you end up getting it?

Thanks
    Did you end up getting it?
    Yes!! And I love it! I'm still getting to know some of the features a little better, but this thing is SO well put together. I'll keep using the other DAWs obviously, but I'm glad I had a good reason to pick it up. A ton of small studios around here are using it, and it'll make it so much easier to work with them.

I also can't believe how familiar everything feels right off the cuff. I guess its a bit like a language. This is the last major DAW that I'm not real familiar with, but already having 8 others pretty well under my belt (Logic, Live, Reaper, PT, Nuendo, DP, Reason, Maschine) helped make this thing truly is a breeze to learn! Some parts feel a lot like Logic. The inspector, the way the windows open and close, the way the mixer is integrated with other parts the main workspace. The inserts to the right of the channel strips is a little different, and I thought I would hate this but I really started liking it. The way plugins are instantiated somehow feels like you're in Reaper. That was my first thought. I'm still going through and re-creating my pro tools key mapping schemes, but once I got my basic transport and edit commands firing like Pro Tools, I started getting real comfortable real fast! Amazing. This is SUCH a well designed software program. Loving it

About they key commands, the reason I overwrite them with PT commands is because if I tried to remember 9 sets of key commands I'll go insane. Five years ago I was trying to learn them all separately, and it got the point where I was mentally struggling to compartmentalize all of them and was wasting a ton of time mashing wrong buttons lol. Its really about client workflow. Ableton is the only other DAW with a fixed key command set and I deal with it. But as for the other 8, Cmd+= always being the mixer, or 3 on the numeric keypad always starting record, or Shift R being my record arm, is just something I have to do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jkuehlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I use studio one the most. I grew up using Pro Tools though. I only mix and master now, but I still think Pro Tools is the best for recording.
    Matty Harris | Mixing & Mastering Engineer
    https://mixandmastermysong.com/

Thread Information