What are the few but mainly used effects to make a vocal sounds great !!!

hanihijaz

Banned
Hi to all forum mates,

What are the few but mainly used effects for vocals to make it sounds great as I am using Sony Vegas recording tool.

It will be wonderful if the effects are given with the parameters approximately used when mixing, but not necessary.

Mostly I put echo to make my vocal look better but everybody says it seems as you are singing on a stage and it give a bad feeling and impression.

Love to all forum mates,

Hani Hijaz

EQ, Reverb and Compression.

However, it's impossible to give parameters because, frankly these are set differently for every recording I make.

Regarding the reverb, "everyone" is probably right. It's an effect best used sparingly--just enough to give a sense of place rather than a totally dry vocal. If you're lucky enough to record in a space with a nice acoustic, you might not need any.

I've never been able to make a vocal sound great unless it was great in the first place. Then I wreck it with reverb or delay !!

I use double tracking a lot. Don't know why, but it seems to make a difference.

Thank you for your reply in regard of my mixing query and I found your answer the most appropriate and worthy.

Thanks again and Blessings!

Hani

A good mic and great preamp are essential to getting a great-sounding vocal recording. If you have those 2 elements, the rest is easy. But usually compression and EQ, but settings for those 2 depend entirely on its context and function in the mix. Hope this helps.

A good mic and great preamp are essential to getting a great-sounding vocal recording. If you have those 2 elements, the rest is easy. But usually compression and EQ, but settings for those 2 depend entirely on its context and function in the mix. Hope this helps.

I might include a good voice and a pleasant sounding room in the recipe as well--but it's good to know that, even though I can't carry a tune in a bucket I can make a great sounding vocal recording.

I might include a good voice and a pleasant sounding room in the recipe as well--but it's good to know that, even though I can't carry a tune in a bucket I can make a great sounding vocal recording.

I agree, but why are we whispering?

Main observation: what to do to a recorded vocal to make it sound better depends on (at least) three things: (a) the recording you're starting with, (b) what other sounds are going on around it (presumably some form of musical accompaniment, but you never know) and (c) what "better" means to you. Which suggests that trying to answer the question is a bit of a fool's errand.

Another observation: if you've ever sat in a room and listened to a really good singer sing - just sing, without any mic or amplifier or anything - there's a good chance you thought it sounded better than any variation you could produce by fooling around with it. True, there is some "effect" being applied, in the natural reverberation of the room. In the "real" un-recorded world, some room reverb generally improves the sound. If you somehow convince the singer to go outside and sing in a field while you stand nearby and listen, it won't sound as good. Going further in the other direction, those of use blessed with voices that might charitably be described as "so so" usually sound a lot better (to ourselves, anyway) when we sign in the shower. I think that's why people so commonly do sing in the shower (along with boredom and a desire to distract themselves, I suppose).

In the same vein: karaoke bars typically have their equipment set up to drench the vocal in reverb. They also assume the minimum level of signing ability will be on the low side.

Going in a less abstract direction: in the real world, the effects that people typically put on recorded vocals are (in approximate order of frequency):
- reverb
- compression
- EQ
- double-tracking (which isn't so much an effect, as a recording method ... I'm talking about actual double-tracking here, as in singing the same thing twice)
- other delay effects, like slap-back or something more esoteric
- de-essing.

And, of course, another one: pitch correction. Let's put that one in a different category.

Typically, if sources are recorded dry / close-miked, there's some reverb on the whole mix, just so it sounds like it's something going on all together in some recognizable place. Whether you put extra reverb on the voice depends on a bunch of things. Generally - as in the bathroom and the karaoke bar - the worse the singer, the more reverb will improve things. It also depends on the style of music and the "sound" you're going after. Extreme examples: a rough-voiced, pitchy nasal folk singer with just a guitar might sound best very dry and "authentic," while a capable, smooth performance a la (say) The Supremes might sound glossy and full with a lush reverb (okay, perhaps not a perfect counter-example, as Diana Ross did have a pretty wispy and not-that-expressive voice).

Compression isn't so much about the vocal as the mix: the purpose is just making the vocal mesh. For a big rock sound, there's probably a lot of compression on the vocal to keep it in front while having the band sound loud. Of course, there's a lot of compression on everything, to make everything sound really loud. For a voice all by itself a cappella, you probably wouldn't use compression at all, unless the singer's volume is unintentionally wandering all over the place. "Unintentionally" is key word there: a vocalist's volume might intentionally be all over the place, which might be a good thing, depending on the type of music.

EQ is pretty much the same. It's used either to make the vocal fit into the mix, or to correct something that would otherwise sound wrong. The latter shouldn't really be necessary unless there's something funny about the voice or the equipment.

Double-tracking is highly useful on a not-so-great singer. It tends to even out the flubs and make pitch problems less evident. On a good signer - particularly a highly expressive one - it's less likely to help, and considerably more likely to hurt. You don't double-track Aretha Franklin or Otis Redding.

EQ is something (either out of habit or preference) that I tend to use on almost everything. I wouldn't necessarily classify it as an "effect" per se, but something to literally shape the sound.
Granted, with a good mic/preamp there shouldn't be too much EQ tweaking needed on a vocal but even just a small amount is enough to make it pop in the context of a mix sometimes.

How much does a pre-amp affect the quality of vocals? I thought pre amp would just make it louder.

To the original poster, a high pass EQ usually cleans up the low end of vocals ( below 85). And a small peak at around 5 KH makes it more bright.

A preamp affects the sound of the vocal in its entirety. Since the signal must go through the preamp before the interface, all of the preamps tonal qualities are imparted onto the vocal.
Tube preamps tend to especially color the sound of whatever is put through them - which is not at all a bad thing. Some people like "clean and transparent"-sounding preamps but I tend to like those that color the sound. Just a matter of taste, mostly. Tubes also impart a special type of compression on some models that may be desireable as well. I use a Universal Audio Solo 610 and when driven it tends to compress the sound of vocals a lot - which I really like. Tube mics do the same thing.
Another tube preamp I use from Carlos Juan Amplification has a compressor and EQ built-in as part of its circuitry. This is the best setup for me because I like to use EQ and being able to nail the sound I want at the preamp without using plugins after the fact is what I like most.

How much does a pre-amp affect the quality of vocals?
Historically, the ideal preamp was a "straight wire with gain."

Technically, that wasn't exactly achieved, though the deviations from the ideal (or at least recognizing them) required some combination of very discriminating ears, a crappy preamp, a tricky source signal or an impedance or other issue between the mic and the preamp.

The notion of using a preamp as an effect is fairly recent, I think, though it did occur in practice at least occasionally (e.g. pretty much any record by the Sonics).

FWIW, my view:

"Better" means more like it's "supposed to" sound.

If the person being recorded is a talented singer (both in terms of physical capabilities and musical sense), a starting point is: the way it's supposed to sound is exactly the way it does sound if you're sitting a little ways away in a room.

That means a good microphone, a clean preamp, and add a little bit of reverb when mixing to put in the room that otherwise would be left out. Possible additions, as needed: a little bit of compression or limiting when recording, not to change the sound but to get further above the noise floor without any clipping (perhaps not really needed with today's recording technology); de-essing (with some vocalists) when recording or mixing, which is really compensating for a problem that arises from miking. If you're picking up some rumble from someplace, a high-pass filter eliminates that.

Everything else is a matter of moving away from the starting point, i.e. deciding that the way it's supposed to sound is not exactly the way the singer made it sound in the first place. Reasons to make that decision vary, and might include lack of capability on the part of the singer, or a desire to make the vocal fit in with backing tracks in a way the singer didn't, or couldn't, have taken into account.

Double-tracking is highly useful on a not-so-great singer. It tends to even out the flubs and make pitch problems less evident. On a good signer - particularly a highly expressive one - it's less likely to help, and considerably more likely to hurt. You don't double-track Aretha Franklin or Otis Redding.

Sorry but that's completely ass backward from reality. Double tracking a bad singer shows off all of the inconsistencies because the tracks clash with each other. That's why you don't double track Aretha Franklin or Otis Redding. A good singer on the other hand can make double tracking sound powerful when mixed correctly.

Sorry but....
Your post makes complete sense in theory, but is not consistent with experience. It's also the case that a chorus of so-so singers sounds better than any one of them singing alone.

It does, of course, depend on how the singer is bad. If he or she is incapable of singing the same words twice in a row, for example, that would be a problem. The "badnesses" that get improved are:
- Just plain old bad tone. This actually does improve with layering. The same is true for instruments.
- Iffy pitch. If someone sings 10 cents flat every time, doubling doesn't make any difference in terms of pitch. If someone sings 50 cents flat one take and 50 cents sharp the next, combing makes it worse, though either single track is pretty much useless anyway. Most pitchy singers do the former, or (more often) vary between 10 cents flat and pretty much right on pitch. Combining these actually does sound better if you try it. Compositing or autotuning would probably do even better, if that's the route you want to go, but that's a whole different undertaking.

Significant variations in rhythm and inconsistent use of various expressive techniques - like, say, glissandi, swells, vibrato and flat-out improvisation - don't do so well. If a bad singer is doing these on purpose, he should stop: if you're not very good, those techniques usually just make you sound worse.

Last edited:
What is double tracking!!

Hi sjjohnston,

Thank youindeed for your reply in comprehensive. Please let me know what is double tracking which you say is essential for vocal recording and to make sound better.I use
sony vegas 5.0 redording software but in there I see no such word.

Regards and cheer up!

Hani

Double tracking is recording the vocal more than once. You do the first take, then you try to do an identical take and you mix the two results for a thicker vocal. It's the slight fluctuations in timing that make it a better sound than just copying and adding a bit of delay or reverb. Personal taste of course.
There are a number of ways to double track. You can do it in such a way as to make it sound very obvious that it's been double tracked or you can be extremely exact for sneaky subtlety. Similarly, if you record each pass at a different speed, you can mix each vocal together for some 'extra texture'. In mixing the vocals, you can either have the volumes on each take identical or the main one loud and the others down lower for some subtle, intangible 'presence'.
Give it a go and see how you get on with it. You may love it or hate it. I've found that some voices lend themselves well to double tracking and some just don't. Mine is unfortunately in the latter category. But I'll always double, treble or quad track backing vocals and much of the time harmony vocals.

Sorry but that's completely ass backward from reality. Double tracking a bad singer shows off all of the inconsistencies because the tracks clash with each other.
That depends on what you mean by a bad singer. A truly bad singer is a lost cause and shouldn't be recording their voice anyway until thety've put in the hours to improve it. But an average, so~so kind of singer can sometimes get away with it and double tracking can help. Some so~so singers can have great timing but struggle with some notes. The key is in the definition of bad singer. For me, a bad singer is a lost cause and in their present state should become a guitar wizard or something.

Back