Are home Digital Studios Really Good enough to make a good Master

lollycross

I have a BR1180cd Digital home recording studio.
I am just about done mixing and have tried Mastering, but
I don't hear that "dramatic difference" that the Professionals
who advertise their Mastering Studios claim they can give a c.d.
Are these little $1000 units REALLY good enough?
Lolly in Reno

Thanks James,
That was very interesting reading. I have a guy that will
do it for less, so hopefully it will be as good(?)
Thanks. Lolly

The answer is NO! You might be able to track on your Boss, but be advised that unless you have some wicked outboard preamps, the more tracks you add, the worse it will sound. Keep the # of tracks minimal, and outsource mixing and mastering.-Richie

I can't answer your quetion directly,but I can tell you that some"pro"studios can make really bad masters.:rolleyes:

are you absolutely brilliant at mastering? if so, possibly. if not, highly unlikely. as many would put it with guitar, "it's in the fingers, not the equipment". practice. practice some more. when you're done, keep practicing. get ready to pull all of your hair out, grow it back, and pull it out again. i don't even know what mastering is, and i've already been there (i KNOW what mastering is supposed to be, but i'll be damned if i can really DO it)

many great recordings have been done with little post-production mastering-a talented recording engineer with specialty in mastering will likely leave the material largely untouched. do you have the equipment to KNOW whether your master sounds good? (serious monitors/amplification for such are square one for reliable quality mastering). many recordings would sound like crap on most equipment (especially quality, high-fidelity equipment) without mastering. if you play your recordings on 100 different stereos, ranging from total crap to the finest money can buy, and it sounds good on all of them, you've probably come out alright.

Back