good or bad interface ?

godzillamike

i want to upgrade from my tascam us1600 interface to something signifigantly better sounding, there seems to be quite a bit out there to choose from, in order to get decent hi end sound, do i need to spend a tonne or can i spend a decent amount and still get a hi end sound, the same question goes with pre amps, can i spend 1000 and still get a hi end sound or do i need to go full out and spend way more ?

Depends on how many I/O's you need. Also depends on your idea of "significanly better".

That equation works for interfaces and preamps.

There's nothing particularly wrong with any of the Tascam interfaces. Frankly, to be "significantly" better, you'd have to throw a boatload of money at it--and the differences will still be relatively subtle. I always think it's more rewarding to put your investment into good microphones--they can make a much bigger difference in your recordings.

Bob

I don't know too much about your interface, but I love the saffire pro 40. 8 preamps, 10 analog outs, expandable to 20 and 20. Easy to use and super low latency. The press are ok and will work fine if you don't have any others. That's my recommendation for $500 new.

I'd agree with Bobbsy on this one. Changing to a nicer mic is almost certainly going to have a more audible effect than changing to a new interface. If you do have your heart set on an interface, and you're happy with your existing mic then there are a few bits and pieces here that I hope might help http://bit.ly/ibvHEI

Back