to compress or not to compress?!

theD1CKENS

*insert clever title here
I just finished recording all the guitar tracks(bass included), and after a little EQing, panning, and level setting, everything seems to sound pretty good

is it common to NOT need any compression? the full mix levels(sans drums) are hovering around -9dBF and peaking around -6dBF, but I could easily raise or lower those without screwing the sound up.

Nah..if the material doesn't need compression, don't use it.

I usually try it anyway, just to see. Sometimes it stays, sometimes not. Whatever sounds best to you.
:drunk:

I was afraid that was the answer I was gonna get. that's a good thing, I suppose, it just seems so unnatural?! that's never happened to me before

I may try 'parallell comression'? I think that's what it's called? just to see how it sounds

on an unrelated note, I think I'm going to end up combatting the noise floor. any tips there?

it just seems so unnatural?!

Wait, let me get this straight. NOT compressing seems un-natural? Am I the only one that finds that statement really weird.?

Don't get me wrong, I use compression as much as the next guy. But, how can NOT using something that changes something "natural" (the sound of an instrument as it comes out of the instrument) be considered "un-natural"?

don't compress if you don't need to. it's not weird at all.

The only time I compress without even thinking about it is when there is a certain effect I want from the compressor (i.e. 1176, la2a, emphasize attack, smooth out the release). A lot of times dynamics control isn't needed because the material is already under control.

don't compress if you don't need to. it's not weird at all.

The only time I compress without even thinking about it is when there is a certain effect I want from the compressor (i.e. 1176, la2a, emphasize attack, smooth out the release). A lot of times dynamics control isn't needed because the material is already under control.

cuz I've never had the luxury of not NEEDING compression. after spending weeks reading and experimenting and failing, it's almost second nature to reach for the compressor.

it's like the first time on a bike without training wheels

I still dont have a good grasp of how compression changes a sound sonically ( I know the theory that it lowers volume peaks to level out the overall dynamic range), and couldnt say, for example "Oh I can hear the compression on that track". I do use it sometimes though, mainly on clean electric guitar, where uneven playing can be quite noticable, and I feel that it smoothes things out a bit. Maybe I shouldnt use it if I cant really hear what it does though.

cuz I've never had the luxury of not NEEDING compression. after spending weeks reading and experimenting and failing, it's almost second nature to reach for the compressor.

it's like the first time on a bike without training wheels
I know where you're coming from.

I wasn't criticizing your statemnt as "wrong". I was making a general statement on how we've all become so used to using processing, that not using it can seem "un-natural".

Having said that, use your ears. If you find you don't think you need it, then trust your instincts. Of course, it never hurts to experiment. You could always throw some compression on and compare. That's the beauty of recording at home. You're not paying for studio time and you can try shit.

On commercial releases of popular (basically non-classical) music: the number of recordings without any compression at all is miniscule.

On "hobby" recordings (as already noted): the whole point is that you get to do what you want. If that includes not compressing, then don't.

Some of the commercial compression (that which is artfully done) doesn't change the apparent sound of the music in any obviously noticeable way ... it just make it sound louder than it otherwise would have.

I use compression for drums mainly. I record with an acoustic set and find that synth generated drums usually don't need compression. But, it can depend on the genre. I generally don't use compression on drums for straight-ahead jazz pieces. Bass, sometimes yes and sometimes no. I usually I don't compress keys. It depends on the genre and the piece.

Sometimes, especially in the Rock, Pop and Electronic genres, certain frequencies get buried in the mix like the kick drum or bass. In that case a little ducking compression or side chaining would be in order and would clean your track up a bit. Of course, ducking compression is a little more involved than just plugging a compressor into your track.

ducking compression? never heard of that. I'll look into it

It's actually pretty simple. "Ducking compression" is what you do when someone throws a compressor across the room.

9 times out of 10, it's an Alesis. :eek:

Last edited:
Some stuff needs compression, some doesn't. But don't get in the mindset that not needing compression is better. Both are fine and both are different.

I don't use compression on distorted guitars unless it's necessary.Tube amps will naturally compress somewhat.I'll use it on clean guitar parts though to smooth out the levels.Eveything else gets just a touch to reduce the loudest spikes.I use drum loops so i don't have the problems with seperate drum levels.Unfortunately,i have to use loops,and don't have the option of individual levels and have less control.

So, you use compression on other instruments even when it's not necessary? :eek:

I wouldn't use it if wasn't necessary.I don't use it on my guitar tracks.I use two guitars and they're both double tracked.With four tracks blended and panned it sounds fine to me and the little spikes in volume don't stick out in the mix.If they did i'd use it because it would be "necessary".
My only other instruments right now are bass and the drum loops.I'm not a great bass player and i'm not as smooth as i'd like to be.Playing with a felt pick has helped to keep my levels in check but i tend to play the easier passages a bit louder.Automation helps with that.A touch of compression helps with the sudden loud spikes.

I'll use just a touch of compression on the loops.Just enough that the compressor's light only comes on maybe a few times throughout the song.Maybe it's not needed there but to my ears it seems to help.

Back