can you use a regular stereo amp/receiver for passive monitor speakers?

sessionselect

i've come down to the last few buys to complete my little studio....the monitors....
i was going to buy active monitors to not have to worry about the hassle of an amp but now i realize i have no money.....

so i've decided to go with the Event 20/20, they are low in price enough for me to afford and i've heard good things about them...

i have a decent stereo amp Yamaha (i can't remmeber the model off the top of my head) but it's a dolby digital theater receiver...
can you use a regualr amp/receiver for these speakers or are there special amps to buy? (keep in mind...short on cash)

thanks
ss

Yes you can. Just make sure there's some way to set the eq to 'flat' on your amp, or the advantage you got buy springing for them fancy monitor speakers will go straight out the window. I use an old JVC stereo amp with my Tannoy Reveals, and it works pretty well.

Mind you, you'll probably want to consider this amp just a stepping stone until you can afford something better, like a clean reference amp. Someday I'll buy one.

Yo SS:

I use Yamaha AX 592 integrated amplifier in my studio.

It's a pretty neat item. I can patch two tape decks, going either way, plug in two sets of speakers, plug in CD, Phono, and have an AUX input. I can record CD to tape or tape to tape, etc.

It's a nice amp and has quality sound. Runs around 500 pezzutos. I've been using an integrated amp from day one and have had great results. I guess the powered speakers might be pretty good; however, I get along fine with my YSM Yorkville passives.

Green Hornet:D :p :p :p :cool:

Depending on which Yamaha amp you have, it will probably be fine. My only warning would be NOT to enable any of the DSP functions or try to use surround speakers on it. I have the Yamaha Model # R-V701, and the main outs sound clean as long as you defeat the soundfield/DSP options - the surround channels sound like crap if you listen close, but sorta OK just for effects in movies,etc. The only other thing I noticed about it was that you have to run the volume pot up and down every week or so, or it gets scratchy. BTW, I DON'T plan to buy another Yamaha receiver, just in case you wondered... Steve

whats a decent amp for under 200 bucks to power these monitors? Also, knightfly, the yamaha receiver.....why shouldn't i buy another one...i've been happy with the one i have the HTR-5250, if that means anything....

i just saw these....are these good deals?

Tannoy Proto J Plus/Hafler TA 1100 Monitor Package 380
Hafler M5 Package + The TA1100 amplifier 380
or would it be better to just spend 400 on a pair of
Alesis M1 Active MKII

Give a listen to Samson Servo 120- well under $200. I use it to drive a Marshall cab from a line out on the POD, but I don't see why it wouldnt drive your events just fine. I got the thing to drive reference monitors, but I'm having too much fun using it for a guitar amp, ao I sprung for a set of M Audio SP5B's ~$300. They're not world class monitors, but they meet my simple needs.-Richie

"knightfly, the yamaha receiver.....why shouldn't i buy another one...i've been happy with the one i have the HTR-5250, if that means anything...."

It means EVERYTHING - I think I just made the mistake of getting middle-of-the-road components for my home theater rig so they could all use the same remote. My particular model Yamaha is probably the one all the REAL Yamaha's laugh at. For example, I have a couple of Yamaha P2200 power amps, they absolutely rock! Clean, no fans, 450 a side into 4 ohms, and bullet proof - Sooo, what you heard me say was probably borne out of the frustration of me not doing my homework 'cause it was "just for the living room"...

well i got my receiver a few years ago when i worked at best buy for a summer...i got huge discounts...over 40% So it was i believe at least a 600 receiver/amp and i got it for almost 50% off. I got monster cables and a kick ass sub that jbl doesn't make anymore and two old kenwood 6 way 350W speakers with jbl center channel and surround speakers....the speakers aren't the greatest but they definately handle everything the specs say they can handle.....

but the best part of it all....is the universal remote.....

Try the Pawn brokers, Find a two channel carver. they are out there and they will be perfect for the task.

I was lucky enough to find the same referecnce amp the old Pink floyd records were done with (Phase Linear 400). for 20.00 in perfect shape, at a garage sale.

pink floyd....amazing poducers

ahhh pink floyd........the ultimate rock band....but that's a whole other issue...anyways......
how low do i need the monitors to go, in other words, what frequency response should i be looking at?

As long as you have reference material you can monitor/mix on any speaker system. Every once in a while go back to the reference material. I've read where some mixes were done using very small speakers so the mix sounded good on low end systems. Personally I mix/monitor using a combination of cheap pc like speakers, headphones and my monitor speakers. I'll usually tweak for a while using each pair. The end result (hopefully) is something that sounds ok in any situation.

And don't forget burning to cd once in a while and listening to it in your car stereo!!! VERY important! (seriously...)

Yo Flyer of Night::D

The Yamaha amp I mentioned is NOT a surround sound amplifier. It is a very good amp that "integrates" several boxes, like tape decks, CD decks, phono, etc.

Green Hornet

Hey Green One - the Yamaha I was knocking was mainly MINE - and even then, when you defeat the consumer DSP crap it sounds clean. I was warning SS against some of the possible problems of NOT doing that - Check your PM for more... Steve

Also, note that SS mentioned HIS amp was a Yamaha, which was the one I was cautioning against using any DSP or surround stuff on. I would expect that your setup using straight two channel with the Yorkvilles sounds nice and tight and clean. I could see you having to spend another $1k or so to improve on it...

misterx said:
As long as you have reference material you can monitor/mix on any speaker system. Every once in a while go back to the reference material. I've read where some mixes were done using very small speakers so the mix sounded good on low end systems. Personally I mix/monitor using a combination of cheap pc like speakers, headphones and my monitor speakers. I'll usually tweak for a while using each pair. The end result (hopefully) is something that sounds ok in any situation.

And don't forget burning to cd once in a while and listening to it in your car stereo!!! VERY important! (seriously...)

Superb advice - listen to this guy for sure.

Back