Fundamental Differences Between Mastering In A DAW And Mastering Traditionally?

mixshowmastertrack.jpg

I have SO many questions about the subject of mastering, I've sat down and made a list of the grains I need before baking the whole loaf.

First up - here's my mixer console above. You can see it has a MASTER track (earlier presumed just: 'output buss' or whatever).

Now, before trying to imagine what the process even looks like in an old fashioned analogue studio (I just assume someone daisy-chains a bunch of units from one tape deck to another, with a mixer in between) - the question is: what am I seeing here... a master(ing) track?

As you can see, I can load up to eight fancy plug-ins into any of my inserts, including the 'master'. The output to CD process starts simply by exporting the whole project to a wav file, so...

So, does sticking (and of course - carefully adjusting) a limiter, compressor, what-have-you, on my master track, before exporting it as a wav, qualify as mastering (in a DAW)?

In other words, is this the 'new kind of mastering'? Something we couldn't do as simply as this, before computers came along? Or have I totally missed the point? I mean, is taking this 'two channel mix-down and mastering that' business applicable anymore, when I can just tweak/polish the master track and export to wav/mp3?

It works so, erm... is this a dumb question? Okay, I'm climbing back into my hole now...

Cheers

Dr. V

Last edited:
Ahhhh...the "Master Track" should just be the master fader or stereo buss that all the other tracks get routed to when mixing down to a stereo pair.

Mastering is usually the process done AFTER mixing and not really a process during mixing...'cuz usually you want to hear & live with the final mix for a bit, and then decide what needs to be done for mastering.

For mastering you want to have all your songs and then see how they work with each other...how they are sequenced...etc..etc....though if it's a single pieces and not an album...then I guess now days DAWs allow you to just string it all out as one process...but I don't think it's the best way to go.

And this is coming from a non-mastering engineer...but I've done my own, though like I said...as separate processes (recording, editing, mixing, mastering) but all done with one goal from the start....the "big picture".

Mastering is usually the process done AFTER mixing and not really a process during mixing...'cuz usually you want to hear & live with the final mix for a bit, and then decide what needs to be done for mastering.

Ah... Thanks, Miro. I totally get your point. I do try not to mess with the master(ing) track before I'm all done with mixing the individual inserts with each other but the temptation to fiddle around with it is often overwhelming. :eek:

What you might find strange about this DAW, however, is that it offers templates and some of them include a limiter on the master track, before you've even recorded anything!

then I guess now days DAWs allow you to just string it all out as one process...but I don't think it's the best way to go.

Is this because of the need for objectivity? If so, I can understand that. Any other reasons?

BTW, I'm currently working on an audio play which is cut up into various acts. I can see myself mastering a composite, 2-channel mixdown of all the scenes, together, at the end, because it is just like making an album, at the end of the day.

Thanks

Dr. V

Mastering is the process of prepping an already completed mix for publication and distribution on it's intended final media. Whether one does it mostly in a digital DAW or mostly on analog iron does nothing to change the definition or overall workflow. Most mastering engineers use the analog stuff because it tends to be of more audiophiliac quality, on which the mastering culture puts a high premium.

Mixing and mastering should not be combined for two reasons. The first, as miro has nicely explained, is because it really requires a separation in time and/or a different set of ears to be able to objectively master.

The second, just as important but mostly gotten very wrong point is that mixing and mastering are entirely different tasks meant for entirely different purposes. Mastering is not "mixing part 2", though that seems to be how most home wreckers treat it these days. Mixing is mixing, and mastering is mastering, and the two should never meet. Mastering is not supposed to be about making a bad mix sound better; mastering should assume the mix is DONE and sounds fine on it's own. When we combine them into a continuous process, that basic truth is often forgotten and we try to use mastering to complete the mixing process, which results in inferior-sounding final products.

G.

1) Mastering is not supposed to be about making a bad mix sound better; mastering should assume the mix is DONE.

2) We try to use mastering to complete the mixing process, which results in inferior-sounding final products.

Thanks Glen. I've been very slow on the uptake of this idea but those two points have really helped it to gel.

It seems to be saying I need to forget about mastering for a while and concentrate on getting my mixes straight.

Thanks again for your patience, dude!

Dr. V

It seems to be saying I need to forget about mastering for a while and concentrate on getting my mixes straight.

Look at it this way...if you mix it "perfectly"...chances are the mastering stage will be nothing more than sequencing the different pieces, setting the proper spacing between them, and setting overall levels to create a coheasive album vibe.

The home dude newbs too often view mastering as a "fix it" process...after they've hit a dead end with the mixing process.

Mastering is like that final check/adjustment in front of the mirror before you're walking out to dinner...if you forgot to shave, it's already too late. :D

What you might find strange about this DAW, however, is that it offers templates and some of them include a limiter on the master track, before you've even recorded anything!
There may be. But it's not necessarily meant for projects where you have a gazillion tracks. For example, that preset with a limiter on the "Master" track could be used to setup a "Mastering" project, after your mix is done, where you'd import your mixed down stereo file into an audio track, and treat it by adding overall EQ, compression, etc, and then limit it to bring the overall RMS level up.

In fact, i've created a template file in Cubase, just for this purpose, where the dithering plugin is the last item in the track and right before that comes the limiter. BTW, the limiter is set so that it will not limit initially and is bypassed, until I am happy with the rest of the stuff.

However, there are some cool things you can do with the Master/Main output track that goes a miss on a lot of us, and certainly is not applicable to all genres of music. Most of us will pretty much set it to unity gain and forget about it, mixing so that we don't go into the red on the master track, and for 99% of the stuff, that's perfectly fine.

But, there is nothing that says you can't for example put a filter on the master track and automate it to add drama in certain parts of the tune. Of course this usually works great on dance/electronic stuff, where for example you highpass the whole mix by gradually increasing the cutoff on the filter, right before the drop... which is a nice and effective way to get the dancefloor shaking. There have been times where I've put a "character" EQ on the master track, like the UAD Pultec EQ emulation, just because the mix "wanted" it.

So, there are things you can do with the master track, the flexibility is there, so might as well use it. However, Mastering, is not one of them.

Thanks again for your patience, dude!
I'm not sure I'd be quite so acute as to say *forget* about mastering (maybe on one of my bad days ;) :D). Mastering is still an important stage and process, and should not be so easily dismissed, IMHO.

But there is a tendency in home recording to use mastering as an excuse to dismiss much of the mixing process, which to me is a crying shame. The earlier in the whole production that one can get things right, the better the overall final result will be. My mantra is (apologies to those who have already read this a million times) :

It's the job of tracking/recording to make the job of mixing easier.
It's the job of mixing to make the job of mastering easier.
It's the job of mastering to make the job of listening easier.

It's NOT the listener's job to make the the job of mastering easier.
It's NOT the job of mastering to make the job of mixing easier.
It's NOT the job of mixing to make the job of recording easier.

So in that regard, yeah, I do advocate that most folks concentrate on their mixing technique and skills before they divert the majority of their attention to mastering, and not count on mastering to make up for incomplete mixes. But I don't mean to marginalize the importance of and skills involved in mastering in doing so.

G.

1) Mastering is not supposed to be about making a bad mix sound better; mastering should assume the mix is DONE.
Mastering is many things including making a bad mix sound better. Mastering 'usually'(more traditionally than anything because it used to require a different set of skills) is letting another experienced ear work out your artistic and technical issues and getting your material playable on a wide variety of systems before you publish your works. Sometimes the mastering job is to do nothing.

Some folks master their own works. It's not a rule you have to have someone else do it. If you're good your good.

I also believe mastering is helping others learn how to make their own informed decisions especially during mixing. I believe too that to be a competant audio engineer in this digital age you need to know how to master pretty much...YUP:eek:

2) We try to use mastering to complete the mixing process, which results in inferior-sounding final products.
I don't see this myself. Mastering does complete the mixing process. It's the last creative step and is done immediately before replication. Mastering can turn an ordinary mix into something special or it can ruin a great one if you use the wrong approach.

I think home recorders have come a long way and many of them are turning out some great stuff. I don't see many of them here try shortcuts in mixing or mastering. There here to learn, it's free and that what I see them doing.

It's not all about equipment either. It's how you use it that counts.

It's Friday!

Mastering is many things including making a bad mix sound better.
Yes it is, but it's not supposed to be - or at least that should NEVER be the plan or intent. If the mix is bad, it's not finished, and is therefore by very definition not yet ready for mastering.

Now, in the pro world there are exceptions due to more mundane logistical problems like schedule or budget. But in the HR world, where one is doing their own mastering for no cost and where there is no real schedule issue, those excuses are invalid.

NYMorningstar said:
I don't see many of them here try shortcuts in mixing or mastering.
It's not a question so much of looking for shortcuts in mixing as it is looking for an alternative to mixing because they have not yet fully learned how to mix. in that way, mastering DOES become a shortcut. Why mix any further when I can just finish it in mastering? The answer is because there is a huge difference in eventual overall quality between when one masters to finish an unfinished mix and one masters to polish a finished one.

The biggest difficulty with all this is that without experience in the difference, it's difficult for one to determine or describe the line between fixing and polishing. It is after all, really only a matter of degree.

G.

I'm going to suggest that what seems to be standard practice may not be all that standard.

Meaning... I just finished a new CD in which I DID do my mastering, but did it on my "master/2buss" on my multitrack. I wasn't timid to put something on the 2buss REALIZING that if I could fix the mix and not need it, I wouldn't just add it. But basically I put the limiter/compressor on the output...maybe some mild EQ. Basically, we are talking about some Cakewalk plugins.

THEN with CD architect I compiled the mixes for my final CD. If I felt a song was "out of balance" to the others, I went and remixed the track to "match" better. With CD architect, it's a simple matter to save multiple "sessions" and just swap out individual songs without disturbing anything else in the CD burning 'session'.

Maybe some might think my final product would suffer, but I've put this last CD in a comparision to a previous CD that was professionally mastered, and I've yet to hear ONE comment of negative differences from the "home mastered" version. Maybe you might think my mastering guy did a lousy job. I think he did a GREAT job, but it was minimally tweaked in the end. Some tweaking I think I could replicate that 99.9% of my listeners would never pick up, even though the signal chains were radically different, both in cost and in type.

I don't know... I'm getting less and less enthused about mastering as a "needed" service and concentrating more and more on educating my ears and tracking, recording and mixing better.

btw... just to put perspective on what I'm talking about... here are some "unmastered" tracks that I'm talking about. They ended up getting tweaked a little in the end, but this is what I was working with. This way you can tell if I'm blowing smoke or have a 1/2 decent sound.
It IS Christian rock, so realize that when listening.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1048891

This is going to be a long post...but it's the best description of what mastering is that I've found so far. It's from a dude who goes by the name of "Yep" on the Reaper forums. I have no idea if he posts on other forums, so he very well could be here somewhere. (I didn't want to link to another forum here) but you can find it in a thread there called "Why do your recordings sound like ass?" I post it here because I'm genuinely curious what some of the working mastering engineers think.

What is "Mastering"?

Now THIS is an easy question: "mastering" is the job of taking the finished audio recordings and preparing them for reproduction.

You take the final tape or 24-bit stereo wav file or whatever it is that represents the "finished" studio recording, and from that you produce your glass CD master, your pressing disc for the LP plant, or whatever will be used from now until forever to produce the copies that will be sold at retail.

This highly-technical step is important for wide commercial releases: the creation of the final master should ensure that every CD player (or record player, or mp3 player, or whatever) is going to reproduce this correctly, is going to understand the transitions, pauses between tracks, track numbering... that the needle isn't going to skip tracks because the grooves were cut outside tolerances, that older CD players aren't going to unleash a full-scale buzzy clipping at track transitions, that there aren't any digital errors that are going to make the CD unreadable by some brand of CD player, and so on.

Creating a fault-free duplication master is not a terribly difficult job, but it's one of those things that is worth getting right before you stamp and ship a million copies.

That's what mastering is. But I'll bet that didn't really answer your question.

Step into your time machine and set the dial to sometime before, say, the early 80s. Sometime before digital reproduction was common. Now step out of the time machine and go visit a record-mastering lab, the kind of place where they engrave the discs that will be used to stamp actual vinyl records.

The people who work at this facility have a considerably more demanding and technical job than the modern "mastering engineer" has. For starters, the "record" they are receiving if usually a pile of reel-to-reel tapes. The tapes may have been recorded on different machines, at different speeds, calibrated differently or incorrectly-- who knows what (hopefully there is good documentation). The final "track listing" is a piece of paper that tells them what order to put the songs in.

Analog transfer between different mediums is not an exact science, especially when the starting mediums are not identical to begin with...

For example, a track cut at 30ips will sound more detailed but hissier than a track recorded at 15ips, for example. And your pile of tapes might include stuff that was tracked at 15ips but mixed down to 30ips, or who-knows-what. Maybe with varying types and degrees of noise-reduction, and so on. So for starters, there is a high probability that the various album tracks will all have noticeably different amounts of hiss and SNR. Unless you want the album to "pop" and/or noticably change hiss levels at every track transition, you are almost certainly going to have to do some work on this.

For seconds, if any of the tracks or "finished" mixes were done at different studios, or at different times, or by different engineers, or on different tape machines, then there is a very good chance that these tracks have never actually been listened to in sequence before: changing a reel of tape takes time, and the probability is very high that many tracks will have serious instrument or frequency imbalances. E.g., that the snare drum or bass or vocals will be much louder on one track than another, etc, or that some tracks will sound much more midrangey or bass-heavy or whatever. Not "bad", mind you, just different aesthetics, different approaches that will nevertheless end up sounding jarring or distracting on a finished album. One of the most obvious examples is the mellow, steady-state ballad that takes up the whole dynamic spectrum and that ends up sounding twice as loud as the hard-hitting rock or funk track that needs headroom for big dynamic swings. This is a pretty obvious opportunity to improve the overall album by making some adjustments.

For thirds, there are some pretty serious technical considerations when "mastering" to vinyl records (less so for CD). Magnetic tape heads are different from metal needles weaving their way through record grooves, and stuff that plays just fine on tape might not remain centered in the groove, or might cause the needle to skip, or might cause one groove to cut into another, and so on. There are a variety of "rules" for cutting vinyl, and making a tape mix fit into those rules may require a certain amount of eq, stereo field manipulation, and compression on purely technical grounds, completely setting aside aesthetic considerations.

(pause): you may be starting to get the notion that mastering engineers, in the old days, basically HAD to do a certain amount of sonic re-processing to the "finished" mix, just as a routine part of getting the tracks fit for reproduction. And you may also be getting the impression that some of this processing blurred the line from strictly "technical" functions into more aesthetic/subjective decision-making. This would be a correct impression. (un-pause)

For fourths, the mastering engineer has a very privileged high-level view of the overall recording, in a number of ways: 1. She has never heard these tracks before, and has no emotional or personal investment other than producing the highest-possible sound quality; 2. She might work on a hundred professional recordings per year, without the tunnel-vision of a producer or band who might have only done 3 records in their whole career so far; 3. She is typically working in a very technically "pure" environment, a well-made listening room with just a few high-quality processors, removed from listening couches and arguing band members and a million knobs and faders to keep track of, removed from racks of noisy gear and comb-filtering from a giant mixing console under her face and the wear-and-tear, stress, and ear-fatigue of a working studio...

In short, she has the "critic's privilege": she gets to listen to and analyze the results, completely removed from the process, emotion, turmoil, doubt, and complexity of having made the thing. Couple that with an expert ear, top-flight equipment, and hundreds of album's worth of experience, having heard the results of her own work on the radio, in nightclubs, on home hi-fis, in car stereos, on headphones, etc... she is in a *very* good position to spot any number of obvious flaws or opportunities for sonic improvement.

So still in our time-machine, and considering all of the above, it is not surprising that a number of mastering engineers would emerge with reputations for not only producing technically correct and error-free reproduction master copies, but who also added an extra layer of polish, professionalism, and "magic" to the records that came across their desks.

Even just the rudimentary, technical basics of noise-reduction, setting the song levels appropriately, setting appropriate pauses between tracks, and doing the fade-in/fade-out and tuck-and-tails correctly could make the "master" sound noticably more polished and professional than a simple spliced-together tape of the various mixes.

Add to that the mastering engineer's ability to "fix" problems with the source mixes, such as a too-mushy kick drum on this track, or a too-loud vocal on that one, etc, and the "master" could often come out sounding dramatically better.

But none of that is actual "mastering". It's "pre-mastering" or stuff that the engineer does before the technical work of creating the error-free master copy. In fact, it is typical that the mastering engineer would send this tape to the producer for review before cutting the master pressing disks. In other words, all of the "magic" of the mastering process happens before the "mastering" even begins.

This is an important distinction: the mastering engineers of yore did pull out their equalizers and compressors and stereo controls to "improve the mix". They pulled out those tools to get the needle to stay in the groove. While they were at it, they also used those tools to get the noise levels and track levels balanced, the crossfades sounding natural and balanced, and the overall frequency balance consistent from one track to the next. While they were at it, they took advantage of obvious opportunities to improve the mixes, especially "problems" revealed by the new stereo and frequency balance.

the net result was often records that sounded better than the original studio recordings.

If you have read through the above, you might already have a sense of where this is going. Certain mastering labs and individual engineers began to emerge who had a reputation for adding a full letter grade or two to the sound quality of records that they worked on. Send your tapes to one of these guys, and the masters would come out not only technically correct, but sounding better than they went in.

Now get back in your time-machine and flash-forward to 2010: "mastering" CDs, mp3s, etc is a fairly trivial, automated, and software-run task. On a million-release CD, it's still worthwhile to have it done by an expert, but the cost is negligible.

What has remained is the notion of "golden ears" mastering engineers (really pre-mastering engineers) who put an extra layer of sonic spit-and-polish on the mix before the CD factory runs it through error-checking and the stamping machine. In fact, in a purely digital universe, a pure "mastering" lab doesn't even need to own a pair of speakers: they are simply producing an error-free glass master that meets the technical specs required to cut commercial CDs.

Increasingly, modern "mastering engineers" are often not even providing a master pressing copy: they're just running the mix through some eq, dynamics, exciters, delays, whatever, and then giving you back a modified digital file that the pressing factory is expected to reproduce exactly. It's more like "post-mixing". There is no longer any technical element to it, you're just hiring somebody to second-guess your mix as best they can, without giving them the source tracks.

Now, this or that "mastering engineer" might or might not have better or more expensive gear than you do, or a better room, or whatever, but in a purely theoretical sense, there is no technical reason why you couldn't do everything they do if you bought all the same stuff. You're paying them for their judgement, tools, experience, and skill at making it "sound better".

In short, modern "mastering" (as it is commonly thought of) is really just re-eqing, re-compressing, re-reverbing, etc of your existing "finished mix", usually with some help on the fades, track levels, and tuck-and-tail. But increasingly there are "mastering engineers" who work one song at at a time, so even those last criteria of album flow and sonic cohesion are absent.

This does not mean that modern "mastering" is worthless: on the contrary, it is often by far the cheapest and easiest way to get a second opinion and extra help from a set of expert ears with expert gear. But it has also become one of the easiest ways for someone with a computer to make money from people who don't know what they are buying. You could run a typical home recording through maxxbass, L2, and BBE presets and send it back to the client without even listening to it, and half of them would rave about your magic touch and recommend you to all their friends. (And maybe they'd be right... sometimes it seems like that is what recording is coming to: who knows...?)

As the process of reproduction becomes more and more automated, the role of mastering engineer is an increasingly consultative one. The professional mastering engineer is an expert set of ears who gets paid first to tell you the obvious things that are wrong with your tracks, and secondly to put a final coat of spit and polish on them. And that's still a valuable role: even very skilled mechanics and carpenters still hire specialty subcontractors to do the finish work.

This is going to be a long post...but it's the best description of what mastering is that I've found so far. It's from a dude who goes by the name of "Yep" on the Reaper forums. I have no idea if he posts on other forums, so he very well could be here somewhere. (I didn't want to link to another forum here) but you can find it in a thread there called "Why do your recordings sound like ass?" I post it here because I'm genuinely curious what some of the working mastering engineers think.

"Yep" makes some good points but is a bit schizophrenic with some of the things he mentions:

a track cut at 30ips will sound more detailed but hissier than a track recorded at 15ips,
15 ips will have a higher noise floor than 30 ips. (more hiss)

These don't make sense:
There is no longer any technical element to it, you're just hiring somebody to second-guess your mix as best they can, without giving them the source tracks.
there is no technical reason why you couldn't do everything they do if you bought all the same stuff. You're paying them for their judgment, tools, experience, and skill at making it "sound better".
You could run a typical home recording through maxxbass, L2, and BBE presets and send it back to the client without even listening to it, and half of them would rave about your magic touch
Not really.

As usual I agree with TW.

The other things that he points out with regard to compilations, different studios, translation, etc. applies equally to an ME that works with vinyl or not.

Even though the "modern mastering engineer" has less issues to worry about as far as the medium is concerned, newer technology can be just as challenging since the bar is raised and there are significantly more types of media to deal with.

Back