Kunaki vs Tunecore vs Discmakers vs Createspace vs ....

mjbphotos

So, getting closer to next CD production stage, have to start putting a game plan in place.

Last time was easy - fewer choices. less knowledge. :facepalm: I used Createspace, the only cost was for the CD copy for proof and the CD copies I ordered for sale/giveaway (about $4 each for 50 + shipping), and this put the CDs (print to order) and downloads on Amazon at no charge.

Now there are so many choices. Does iTunes really matter to me? No. Availability to buy (CD or download) via credit card? Yes. Copies for me to sell/give out at a reasonable cost? Yes.

I'm thinking of a combination of Createspace for the Amazon placement, and Discmakers for my own hard copies, as they currently have a 100 copies (in eco-wallets) for $239.00. Kunaki's CD prices are cheaper, but they don't want large orders, it depends on their current volume (kind of stupid to order multiple 5-CD orders to keep price down) - and they only have jewel cases, not ecowallets.

What's everyone else doing these days?

Kunaki + CD Baby = music everywhere to pollute everyone

I use Kunaki for physical CD sales and to stock myself for local stuff.

CD Baby for digital sales and worldwide online retail distribution.

So do you order 5 CDs at a time from Kunaki?

Exactly that.

No. I buy them about 75-100 at a time. $1.70 per.

They're at $1.75/each now. Do they discount the shipping enough to make it better than the $1.00/each for less than 6 CDs at a time?

Also, it looks like they only offer a 2-side single-page insert for the jewel cases? So there is no 'back cover' in the case visible?

Also, it looks like they only offer a 2-side single-page insert for the jewel cases? So there is no 'back cover' in the case visible?

Yes. What they call the "tray" is the back cover.
So, you get printing on the front cover, inside front cover (insert), disc, and back cover.

I usually end up going at least partially local for the physical CDs. My band in college did Diskfactory for the CDs themselves and our university print shop for the inserts.
The first Regdar and the Fighters CD was done with my work's mass CD duplicator and Kinkos for the printing.
My current CD is a place in Nashville called NTS Pro-media.

Haven't figured out digital yet.

They're at $1.75/each now. Do they discount the shipping enough to make it better than the $1.00/each for less than 6 CDs at a time?
No, shipping is about 10 bucks for 100 CD's. That makes them roughly $1.85-$2.00 per CD to your door. That's pretty cheap for a fully printed CD. Sell one for only 5 bucks and you still more than doubled your money.

What Rami said.

No, shipping is about 10 bucks for 100 CD's. That makes them roughly $1.85-$2.00 per CD to your door. That's pretty cheap for a fully printed CD. Sell one for only 5 bucks and you still more than doubled your money.

What Rami said.

For that pricing, Discmakers' eco-wallet is almost as good (and a better presentation) @ $239.00 for 100 plus shipping - 4 sides of printing.

For that pricing, Discmakers' eco-wallet is almost as good (and a better presentation) @ $239.00 for 100 plus shipping - 4 sides of printing.

If you think an eco-wallet is a better presentation than a full, wrapped and sealed jewel case, then go for it. Either way, the CD is going to get ripped into MP3's and the case/eco-wallet tossed aside, so whatever floats your boat.

I like Kunaki because it's simple and user friendly. Kunaki gives you a little retail page for people to order direct. You set the price, and they do the rest. You don't need to keep any "in stock" at their site. If someone orders your product, Kunaki prints it on-demand and ships it out. You do nothing but sit back and let the massive checks roll in. They keep their $1.70 per or whatever it is and the shipping, you get everything else for no fees, membership, subscriptions, etc. If you want 3, 7, 50, 700, or 7000 CD's for yourself, just order them. They'll print and ship any quantity.

I prefer CD Baby for digital sales because, again, it's simple and I have to do nothing. Upload your music for like 30 bucks per album, and they get it out to every site that will take it. I find my albums on sites that I've never even heard of. Lol. I went with CD Baby over Tunecore because CD Baby has no annual fee. You pay per album or single and that's it. Last I checked, unless you sell jillions of singles, the math works out better with CD Baby.

...Discmakers' eco-wallet...

I went with their eco-wallet on the last CD...I did the 6-panel, since I wanted to include all the lyrics to all the songs, and also because it is eco-friendly.

You would want to consider what is the main point of the CD you are putting out...?

If all you want to do is sell some music to the general public....well, these days you could probably just get by with a digital file download approach, and just include any cover art/liner notes also as a file...and let those who want a CD, download and burn/print their own....if in fact most people are just going to rip your CD and go with MP3 files, which may happen...though I don't know how many will toss your CD away once they do that....?

On the other hand...if you are trying to sell your *songs*...sell yourself as an artist...sell your band...etc....then presentation is as important as the content on the CD, at least for that initial "foot in the door".
So with that in mind, I would go with the best, most professional product that you think will work for that.

People who have bought my first CD must be mostly 'old school' - those who prefer a physical disc/package. Some may rip the disc to MP3 after - and still play the disc when home, use the MP3s when on the move. I guess it really depends on your audience (and their age!!)

When it comes to CD i use We Print Discs. They provide affordable and quality CD's. More cheaper than Discmakers.

Back