Career Consultants like IndieBiz and Taxi.Com. I am looking for some advice, but...

pisces7378

Hey guys,

I have been playing music since I was old enough to bang on my mother's dash board with a pair of drum sticks from my older brother. Now I have been in a band of one form or another for over 10 years. Well we have written and perfected 40 songs, of which we plan to record at least 20, and of these 20 release between 10-13 on our debut record.

Now, my older brother that I mentioned earlier, he works for a huge Internet Company in Atlanta GA, as a consultant. He basically meets with clients and potential clients and discusses costs/benifit, content, technology, marketing issues, budgetary issues etc. etc. and is damn good at it when it comes to helping companies build a solid website.

Well I am looking for something of the same thing for my music career. I am not talking about selling my soul to some fat producer or A&R scout that promises all kinds of bullshit if I will just sign here and give him $500 a year as a "membership fee". I have been to www.indiebiz.com and within about 30 seconds of me being on the site, and little pop up window appeared telling me that, "I am one of the lucky chosen few that has won a free time limited membership." blah blah. Now, Indiebiz and Taxi.com might be both excellent companies that can help people that know NOTHING, at least FEEL like they have a plan. I have received all kinds of free e-mails from IndiBiz.com with oodles of FAQs and some actual helpful tips that at least have given me something to think about and apply to my situation.

But my band is a VERY tight knit gang of guys that sinks so much time and brain waves into our music that we tend to lose objectivity and all idea of "da bi'ness" of it all. I know that a manager, A&R guy and/or producer would help drive our brains into the right direction. But unfortunately none of the above are knocking down our door.

We need help with decissions like...

- Which of our 40 songs to actually record?
- Which of our 20 recorded songs do we put on a CD?
- What should the CD cover look like?
- Should we use cardboard DigiPacks or plastic cases?
- Which duplication firm should we use?
- How should we structure our company and which business licenses do we need to sell CDs in the state of GA and in the US, Europe, and Japan?
- Should we even bother with making a company for our first CD or just sell it around Athens and Atlantsa (locally) and at shows anywhere we can and just pocket everything?
- What about things like UPC Bar codes?
- Cost to benifit ratio of promotional posters for shows in towns where you are COMPLETELY unknown.
- Fund raising stratagies?
- Financing options such as leasing companies for gear and tour supplies (van, food, hotels etc...)?
- Website companies? Worth it or is it better to just do it myself with my VERY limited XHTML skills? (Althought my brother cna probably handle this stuff)
- How to get local shows? Not obvious things like: Demo, press kit, ass kissing, and getting to know local established bands. I mean things like... how does the club scene work? how many people would we have to bring to a club in order for it to be considered by that cliub owner a successful night and warrant another invitation. And all the other thousands of questions that go along with live shows and making money at them.
- What makes up a professional press kit?
- How do we get out songs into films as "needle drop" music?
- Television commercials?
- How to get some of our expenses donated? i.e. getting TAMA to donate drum heads because our drummer has a huge TAMA drum head on the front of his drum set. Or Fender to give us free picks or whatever because my rhythm guitarists has a big Fender amp.

These are 17 questions that I would gladly pay a consultant to shed some light on. Since my band is so new to the business and playing live shows... (meaning: we have never been paid for a real show)... I would settle for having the answer to one question...

Where do we start???

Does anyone have any idea of where I can find a music career consultant that will not kill me in the wallet but will grow with me. Meaning, not charge me full on $*$*$*MEGA-PRICES*$*$*$ in the beginning but will help us out with some discounts in the beginning but charge more as the stakes get higher?

Guys... we are pretty tired after worrying so long about the music. But we are focused on making our hard work so far turn into something tangable. Can ANYONE out there give ANY tips on who can help us move forward?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. JESUS that was a loooooooong post!

Oh, no. More blood in the water!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...........

Attachments

• jaws.gif
    jaws.gif
    74.8 KB · Views: 218
Oooooh. Attitude! Just love it! WhatsamattaU? No sense of humor?

OK. You have a "band" that has never played a paying gig, you know absolutely nothing about the business, but you want to know about international distribution of your non-existent "CD"?
I'll overlook the snotty tude and tell you the truth.

You are going to have to educate yourself about how the music biz works. Buy a copy of "This Business Of Music" by M. William Krasilovsky and Sidney Shemel (Billboard Press). It will answer many of the questions you posted here, but not all of them. There are dozens of books, websites, etc. that can answer the other ones.
Most of these things you will have to do for yourself. Making the music is just the easy part.

bdbdbuck,

I read the article and in my enlightenment I have one word, "OUCH!"

I sit patiently as the film peels from my eyes.

I copied this quote from the text:

"And if you're too damned ignorant to learn this Industry on your own, you're also too damned ignorant to survive in it!"

thanx,
DS

Join Indiebiz ....spend the $500.00 ...great idea. I have heard nothing but fine reports.

oh and read the other similar thread brain dead

I find it incredible that you have not learned anything since you have banged on your mothers dash board. Unless you are 6 now.
I suggest like Bob you purchace everybook on the music industry get out of the car seat and start reading ....you have allot of work to do.

I am just overwhelmed by all the good and original advice...

"Do Your home Work"

"Read the other similar thread brain dead."

"And if you're too damned ignorant to learn this Industry on your own, you're also too damned ignorant to survive in it!"

"You are going to have to educate yourself about how the music biz works"

"Get out of the car seat and start reading ....you have allot of work to do."

"You have not learned anything since you have banged on your mothers dash board."

And my favourite of all the quotes taken from your "advice" is...
"I'll overlook the snotty tude and tell you the truth."

I can appreciate that you all have seen movies about the Rock n Roll struggle story, or that you might all be like bitter old ex roadies for Iron Maiden or Bon Jovi... but you have all, with the exception of the guy that posted the link to some actual information, just repeated the tired old clichés that bore any real musician to tears.

So change the record fellas. I asked for some fresh advice. A new direction. Some advice on where to start. I have two a copies of "This Business of Music" the older and the most rescent edition. I have read them both cover to cover at least twice. I have AT LEAST every book on Amazon.com that deals even closely with the subject. I just wanted to hear if there have been any advancement in the infrastructure of the music business from a propper live consultancy point of view.

I didn't ask for a bunch of bored pimple poppers to skip the same broken record speach about, "Paying your dooze... bra!" and "You got to learn to suffer and stay hungry man if you wanna get anywehere in this biz man."

Thanks guys!

"I just wanted to hear if there have been any advancement in the infrastructure of the music business from a propper live consultancy point of view."

There's the Starmaker Machine- they can make you a star!
I'll have Daisy Mae give you a call, Mr. "Real Musician".

Buffalo Bob said:

There's the Starmaker Machine- they can make you a star!
I'll have Daisy Mae give you a call, Mr. "Real Musician".

Ooohhhhh..........Daisy Mae!!!

Shes Fast and Danger !

I have never made a single reference to wanting to be a star. I am quite aware the un-likelyhood of any kind of public recognition or financial jackpot to be hit for me playing music.

I have simply made a quite well thought out posting on what is normally a quite cival and helpful online forum. I never asked any of you to respond to this post. My own personal philosophy when it comes to this forum is that if I cannot help the author or at least answer the question that he asked by responding, then it only graphities up his post and accomplishes nothing other than bumping up my post count and causing frustration for the lad that published the original question.

You guys obviously have a different less productive outlook at this forum and has, as I just mentioned, graphitied up this post to the point where any new viewer will just move on without bothering to think about the question. I don't know why you feel it is somehow funny or whitty to post pictures from JAWS and make senseless digs at someone that you do not even know. Or to follow suite by posting post after post of sarcastic retoric that helps no one. It stuffs up the server with useless ones and zeros.

Thank you for making fun of me, and not taking me seriously at all. I wish you all luck with your music careers, as you all have obviously got such a 360 degree omniscient perspective of "da bizz" and I am sure you will all go far.... after you have "paid your dooze" and done all that "self-learning that only the road, sleeping in your car, and getting your guitar stollen out the back of a roadhouse in west Texas" can teach you. You guys sure are some rough necks I tell ya!

You are obviously much too thin-skinned for the music business. Have you considered flower arranging?
The "Jaws" reference was to warn you away from Taxi and IndieBiz, etc. The reference was over your enormous head.
You come in here asking two dozen questions that have no set answers, and get hissy when people take the time to steer you in the right direction.
Fine.

Go ye forth and multiply.........yourself.:D

The problem is pisces7378 that when you read all these books you say you have you didn't retain anything. Its like a broken record ,and that my friend is the only thing that you have said that is true. Many of the guys here have lived in the industry for years the only difference now is its easier to see what a pipe dream this is where as years ago that information was not that easy to get. You make light of people paying there dues like you think this is a step you can by-pass. This is where you are mistaken......pay your $500.00 and say goodbye.

I will play your 9th grade game for bit as have been in the studio all day with a group that wouldn't know time if Big Ben fell on them and view a click track as the marking of Satan.

We need help with decisions like...

- Which of our 40 songs to actually record?

You sit down with people in the industry and work your 40 down to 20 then down to 10. Agents, Producers, Radio Jocks or PD's burned out musicians who will tell you your full of shit.

- Which of our 20 recorded songs do we put on a CD?

The best 10

- What should the CD cover look like?

I think Dave could send you a PDF on this but in case he does not.
The cover is your business card , the first thing everyone sees, the first impression you set. Four colour on the front and back and black & white on the inside pages. Get a real photo of the band something done by a pro. If you have no skills with Corel 11 or Photoshop 7 either get some or send this out.

- Should we use cardboard DigiPacks or plastic cases?

Use shrink wrapped jewel packs for the units you want to sell and get a few hundred made with nothing so you can send them in cardboard mailer sleeves. Get a few hundred stickers made that say " Not For Sale Promo Only " for the markets that will try and charge duty and taxes on product you are trying to get to radio.
You can make these yourself with Avery stickers and a printer.
At the same time since your tooled up make return address labels for your mail outs.

- Which duplication firm should we use?

Use whoever you want. Shop for the best price. It might be a good idea to check them out to see what they have done. You can even ask for references.

- How should we structure our company and which business licenses do we need to sell CDs in the state of GA and in the US, Europe, and Japan?

As far as I can tell you don't need anything other than an agreement on paper within the group stating everyone’s involvement, shares and the fact that they agree to manufacture and sell product.............It would be a shame for someone to leave and then sue the group saying he did not give permission to use his songs.

- Should we even bother with making a company for our first CD or just sell it around Athens and Atlantsa (locally) and at shows anywhere we can and just pocket everything?

This along with merch ( hats, shirts, mugs, ties, tube tops ) all gets sold on shows with the money going into a safe or bank.
I know tons of groups who make more money selling CD's and merch than they do getting paid from the club.

- What about things like UPC Bar codes?

This is required if your selling in larger stores and going to the major radio centres ( BDS stations who report )
The duplication house you use should be able to take care of this.

- Cost to benefit ratio of promotional posters for shows in towns where you are COMPLETELY unknown.

The bigger and better you look the more serious people will take the band. Have you ever seen a bad photo of a Big Mac form McD
As well if the poster looks really good this gives you another thing to sell and sign

- Fund raising strategies?

Bingo, Garage Sales, Women mud Wrestling contests ets
This is where I assumed you were brain dead

- Financing options such as leasing companies for gear and tour supplies (van, food, hotels etc...)?

Again McFly ( knocking on the head ) Go out get a job save your money buy a used van drive, play shows, eat Kraft dinner, sleep in van or rent one room with a shower so you can switch and stay clean.....worked for the "Police " you remember those old timers.
Have rich parents!!!!!!!!

- Website companies? Worth it or is it better to just do it myself with my VERY limited XHTML skills? (Although my brother can probably handle this stuff)

Go with your brother....check a bunch of other sites and make something similar. If not then pay someone $200.00 and they will do a bang up job

- How to get local shows? Not obvious things like: Demo, press kit, ass kissing, and getting to know local established bands. I mean things like... how does the club scene work? how many people would we have to bring to a club in order for it to be considered by that club owner a successful night and warrant another invitation. And all the other thousands of questions that go along with live shows and making money at them.

Brain Dead #3
If anyone could answer this is a paragraph then they to would be making $100,000.00 per year writing books.
Go to the club....play for the door........poster the city....invite everyone.......collect email address for data base and invite the press. The club might ask you back as a regular if not then do it all again. You have to create a buzz for the group and this might take a few times. As everyone has tried to explain ......you have to work.....no free lunch here.

- What makes up a professional press kit?

Simple Bio, Black & White 8 x 10, CD Press Clippings. Again the more pro this looks the more people will take you serious.

- How do we get out songs into films as "needle drop" music?
- Television commercials?

Brain dead 4
Setting goals is key to any success but I think you should work on the recording, duplication, gigs, press before you concern yourself with these things.
The good news is if you are the next coming of Led Zeppelin then they will find you.

- How to get some of our expenses donated? i.e. getting TAMA to donate drum heads because our drummer has a huge TAMA drum head on the front of his drum set. Or Fender to give us free picks or whatever because my rhythm guitarists has a big Fender amp.

Now this one you should just take a kick in the nuts for.
Artists only get endorsements when they sell millions of units or are gods gift to their instrument and would be good press for the company. Read my lips.....forget it.....work on the above....this comes after many a flat tire in the van.

You my friend are truly a newbie and as so you have to learn to keep your goals in tack and not get offended to easy. You will never last in the music business with the world owes me a living attitude. Read Read and Read....ask real questions one at a time.
Good luck
Ron S
Little Rock Band
The P.A. Shop Canada
Waterline Studios

Pisces,

I'll be happy to help you with the questions you have asked and more. We have a private message board on the site that will allow me to get your questions answered without the "noise" of a thread like this one.

Some other stuff that might help:

1. You mentioned film/TV use, so you'll be happy to know that we are in the process of launching a new product called "KR Tip Sheet" with direct contact info of these people and more.

www.krtipsheet.com has more info and right now you can get a free music magazine database by answering a few questions about what you are looking for in a product like this.

2. Regarding CD packages, there are several options other than DigiPaks and jewels to look into. Give my friend Alex at Oasis an email at alex@oasiscd.com and she can get you more info.

They can handle your bar code, by the way.

3. It sounds like you are looking for an endorsement deal for some of your musical gear. While you probably won't walk out with cash, you should find getting a product endorsement or "at cost" endorsement fairly easy. I have a section in my book, "$100,000/year in the Music Business," that deals with how to do this. I'll also be happy to work with you to answer specific questions via IndieBiz, if you'd prefer that.

4. You mentioned A&R, so you'll probably like some of the articles I have done where I have interviewed A&R guys. If you're getting the free 10-day promo course from biz101@kathoderaymusic.com, you're getting some of that info, but I can send you PDFs directly if you'll email me though www.indiebiz.com and let me know your email address.

5. As far as graphics, you need to have something that will match the image of your band. Go to Amazon.com and seach for "Iron Maiden." Like their music or not, those guys have the best cover branding I have ever seen. They could remove the name from the album cover and you'd still know it's them.

You want something that unique for your band.

6. Press kit- Let me send you another PDF with info. Please remind me of that when you email. You might also check out "Killer Press Kits," which is available at www.musicbizbooks.com.

Let me know if you have any questions.

David

I need to say something here before everyone jumps in! Remember........he asked for this. May he have good luck with it.

bd

While we're spamming, I have an announcement too. Due to the anti-spamming legislation recently passed in Virginia, The Starmaker Machine has relocated it's Richmond offices to nearby West Virginia. We will continue to keep a sharp eye out for deals from our new vantage point, which offers us an unobstructed view of Nashville.

Buffalo Bob Swindell
C.E.O.
The Starmaker Machine

Attachments

• hirise.gif
    hirise.gif
    58.9 KB · Views: 138
Hey guys I hate to switch sides this far in but as I mentioned way back in the other thread I think there are people that Daves service would be good for ....................Pisces enters the building.
People are looking for a fast way out and are not willing to do the work which I think might be the case here.
A perfect match I say......the next Indiebiz poster child
Good luck

Pash,
I don't think it's so much a matter of not being willing to do the work as it is not knowing the scope of work to be done.
David's whole schtick is counting on that one factor. It's like a little shelter in the woods. Makes it real easy to get out of the rain..........damn! PAY TOILETS! Anybody got a quarter? When there's a million trees and bushes all around.

bd

I think the tude pisces copped was mostly due to the fact that we jumped all over the thread......maybe he didn't see....duh....that there were other threads here that he maybe should have read first.

Back